Why Do You Like to Camp

• HTML tutorial

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

It's like we are lost in the day to day, or at least coping. Get us down the trail around like minds and everything smells different, looks different. I even think different, I like to listen to folks stories, their dreams, their hopes. I'm another person out there, I think I'm more content.
Yup, I've also noticed that on these trips far from the day to day with just my wife and my dog we have great conversations and take more joy in sharing simple experiences together like enjoying meals, noticing little details about nature, etc... things that are more easily overlooked when consumed by technology and the rat race. On the way home we are always planning the next trip.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

I am currently building a small trailer to pull behind my ATV to facilitate more remote camping possibilities. I don't mind camping next to some folks if they are considerate, but I also enjoy the solitude when I can find one of those spots. At the same time, I also know that a responsibility goes with dispersed camping to leave no trace as much as possible. What once was a remote spot can become just another over-used, worn out spot if we are not careful.

Day trips with a nice lunch along also rejuvenate my soul. I try not to get in a big hurry to just cover more ground. Stop and take it all in. Enjoy the little moments. That is one of the reasons I like the ATV ... more open, more likely to notice those little surprises and more likely to stop.

Love this site. It is a breath of fresh air in itself.

Reactions: Northernlady

Alfster

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sand Springs, OK
Member #

I'm new to overlanding, biggest reason I joined this forum. But the camping part is the real draw for me. I just love getting away from technology (tv, computer, etc.) and just chilling looking at a lake, mountain, or just a bunch of trees...hehe Really like the feeling being closer to nature.

Favorite thing is enjoying that morning coffee before anyone else wakes up, just relaxing in my camp chair.

Reactions: IdahoGrizz

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

It is therapy. I like backwoods/wilderness/remote camping. We live very remote, so when I go camping why would I want to have someone camping 20 feet away from me in a provincial or state park? For me overlanding and camping has become therapy. I got messed up in Afghanistan. Beside the physical issues I also have ptsd. I'm not going to get into specifics or drop my guts on here but I will say, overlanding and the camping piece has become critical to my healing. I will say this I meet more like minded people that I really like and who's company I enjoy in the overlanding community. This speaks volumes for the people who go out explore, are self sufficient, wanting to see what is past the next mountain, hill or swamp. It's pretty cool and it shows you that most people are actually nice. So if you run into us on the trail or camping some place, stop by, don't be shy and say hi.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

It is therapy. I like backwoods/wilderness/remote camping. We live very remote, so when I go camping why would I want to have someone camping 20 feet away from me in a provincial or state park? For me overlanding and camping has become therapy. I got messed up in Afghanistan. Beside the physical issues I also have ptsd. I'm not going to get into specifics or drop my guts on here but I will say, overlanding and the camping piece has become critical to my healing. I will say this I meet more like minded people that I really like and who's company I enjoy in the overlanding community. This speaks volumes for the people who go out explore, are self sufficient, wanting to see what is past the next mountain, hill or swamp. It's pretty cool and it shows you that most people are actually nice. So if you run into us on the trail or camping some place, stop by, don't be shy and say hi.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
I so appreciate your post. Maybe if more people got out of the inner city craziness there could be some healing, less violence in the streets, etc. Let's call Overlanding a movement. Why not? I think it is one of the most sane movements going. I can promote it with enthusiasm. A couple stopped by my rig yesterday, explaining that they are new to the area and wondering if where we were at in the mountains south of Twin Falls, ID was a good place to ride their ATV. I gave them a map of the area roads and trails and with great gusto shared why the area is a trail rider's paradise. Get people out of the house, away from the TV, away from the junk of life and into the bigness of the outdoor wonderment.

BTW, I really like your avatar. Very cool.

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

Why do I camp? let me count the reasons. Up until last week, I was in a high stress position (nothing like you guys who were overseas and thank you for your service), so getting away from technology was a reason. I love to fly fish the high country, and where others don't go. The beauty of the high country is reason in itself. As the kids are grown and gone, this is one way I can reconnect with them and my grandchildren without TV, cell phones, etc. between us. and lastly there is peace away from the madding crowd.

Sequoiahiker

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Visalia, CA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Patton
Member #

Service Branch
U. S. Army
IMG_5701.JPG IMG_0677.JPG I've always been a backpacker and enjoy going solo and getting away to decompress. I used to off-road a lot but never camped since I lived in Borrego Springs and it was "in my backyard."

Now, having just purchased a 2001 Xterra, I want to combine backpacking and camping. Overlanding allows me to bring more creature comforts and I can still get out in the wilderness.

Here's a coup,e of pics....... First is in my old Jeep, on the Pinyon Mountain trail in Anna-Borrego. A place called "The Squeeze". The second is at 13k feet on the Mountaineers Route to Mr. Whitney......

Mikeyleigh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clarksville Va
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Conner
Member #

i tend to miss the smell of a moquito coil mixed in with the smoke of a good steak while reading a book and waiting for the potatoes to finish and when the last light of the fire is going down and the crickets are doing their thing that i know its time for a good night sleep. oh and not having to talk if i dont want to makes it nice too.
havet camped a lot in the past few years so its time to get back to it soon.

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
This is a great thread. I have enjoyed reading all of them and thinking to my self, yeah and that too, for each reply. There is a special comradery that develops as we interact about that which is very dear to us. Thanks to all of you for taking the time.

I agree completely ! I really enjoy hearing and agreeing with others thoughts.

Reactions: canadianoverlanders