Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
It's all part of the same experience for me. I like being outdoors, I like being self reliant, and I like driving. It's also pretty peaceful out there, especially dispersed camping where you don't have to worry about other people wrecking it. I like tending a fire pit, cooking in general, and just lounging. It gives me an escape from my everyday life and gives that wild spirit in me a little kick.

Last edited:

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

It's all part of the same experience for me. I like being outdoors, I like being self reliant, and I like driving. It's also pretty peaceful out there, especially dispersed camping where you don't have to worry about other people wrecking it. I like tending a fire pit, cooking in general, and just lounging. It gives me an escape from my everyday life and gives that wild spirit in me a little kick.
I was going to reply with my own reasons, but... this ^ . You wrote it for me.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Camping is just about the only time where I feel connected and the stress of doing something day in and day out that seems so unnatural as a human starts to fade. Being completely surrounded in nature with vastly different sensory inputs (ones that make sense) away from the ridiculousness that surrounds me in my daily life.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

So much this. I enjoy getting away and relaxing. Not having to think about work, or any of the other things going on in my life. It's a nice reset.

Excursioner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

Me, I overland because I love camping and have my entire life. My folks were true-blue (or tye-dye) hippies and when I was a small tyke, we camped all over the northwest. Sometimes for fun and sometimes out of necessity. It was always fun and focused on adventure and exploring. That experience and those destinations created a life long passion for me to get out there and explore. The overlanding rig just gives me the access to get out there further and for longer. Plus I am not confined to camp grounds which is awesome and puts some separation between me and the camping masses which I love too. There's a little thing called serenity that tends to creep into my mind once I am out there a day or two and things settle in to a nice, comfortable rhythm. That kind of mental release is so rare in the regular world, and something I seek as often as possible.

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

I can't add much to some of the well written and thought out replies on the thread. Aww ... the smell of pine, the sway of the trees, water over rocks, crickets, meadowlarks, humming birds, sage in the spring, meadows of wild flowers, summer snow in the high places, moose wading in the beaver ponds, trails paved with golden aspen leaves in the fall, the masses of stars on a summer night deep in and away ... well, I could go on and on as my senses are piqued, even just thinking about it. It is the salve of my soul, the elixir to refresh my blood, cool my murky mind.

Now add to all of that, the adventure of what's over the hill, around the corner, experiencing what few do.

awww

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
I can't add much to some of the well written and thought out replies on the thread. Aww ... the smell of pine, the sway of the trees, water over rocks, crickets, meadowlarks, humming birds, sage in the spring, meadows of wild flowers, summer snow in the high places, moose wading in the beaver ponds, trails paved with golden aspen leaves in the fall, the masses of stars on a summer night deep in and away ... well, I could go on and on as my senses are piqued, even just thinking about it. It is the salve of my soul, the elixir to refresh my blood, cool my murky mind.

Now add to all of that, the adventure of what's over the hill, around the corner, experiencing what few do.

awww
Well said, I agree completely. It is interesting to me that most of the reasons are so simple. For me it is because it takes me back to my childhood. Makes me feel like I never left it.

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

I also like to play one of my Native American style flutes, sitting on a river bank or around an evening campfire. Yes, some of my fondest childhood memories are centered around camping/adventure trips with aunts, uncles, cousins, mom and dad. Once we did a 25 mile horse packing trip back into a very remote area of Idaho, along the Salmon River to do some salmon fishing ... fresh salmon steaks cooked on the campfire. I can still hear the sizzle and smell the aroma.

Reactions: buckwilk

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

To get away from people, although I've found that the further from civilization I get, if I do end up camping near someone, they are usually like minded quiet and pleasant people to be around and usually there for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
It's like we are lost in the day to day, or at least coping. Get us down the trail around like minds and everything smells different, looks different. I even think different, I like to listen to folks stories, their dreams, their hopes. I'm another person out there, I think I'm more content.