PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
We like to generalize, categorize and lump everyone together. Its easier to bemoan someone if they are part of a larger whole- people generally dont like personal attacks.

Reactions: DevilDodge

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yes Colorado is roughly central, actually in the eastern half of the USA. The mid-point between the easternmost point and the westernmost point in the USA is the border between Idaho and Oregon, more or less. The "mid west", in the sense of the middle part of the western half, would be the Alaskan "panhandle".

If we consider the country to be divided into halves based on area, rather simply longitude then the centre is near Belle Fourche, South Dakota at 44°58′2.07622″N 103°46′17.60283″W. Colorado is still central...
Because ''central'' was Viginia when America bought Colorado with a stack of blankets.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Yes Colorado is roughly central, actually in the eastern half of the USA. The mid-point between the easternmost point and the westernmost point in the USA is the border between Idaho and Oregon, more or less. The "mid west", in the sense of the middle part of the western half, would be the Alaskan "panhandle".

If we consider the country to be divided into halves based on area, rather simply longitude then the centre is near Belle Fourche, South Dakota at 44°58′2.07622″N 103°46′17.60283″W. Colorado is still central...
Ya'll seem to be overlooking "down south" ,"up north", "down town" "up town" "over yonder" down yonder" and the all encompassing "back home"
DAMNIT!!!! Now I have 'Old Yeller' and Taco's 'Puttin' On the Ritz' going through the ol' noggin...

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I think we need to adopt a nicer location-neutral approach and refer to folks as “those people over there,” though I guess that could be offensive to someone that doesn’t like the “people” term - maybe “those over there?”

Reactions: Correus

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I think we need to adopt a nicer location-neutral approach and refer to folks as “those people over there,” though I guess that could be offensive to someone that doesn’t like the “people” term - maybe “those over there?”
I identify as a nuclear attack submarine, you bigot.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

"Those...", "THOSE..."!!!! I'm offended!!! I identity as a gender neutral rock - you've just dumped me in with everything in that general direction!!!

I am so upset and offended - I'm going to write to my congressperson! I'm going to protest online! I'm going to take it to the streets and burn the place down!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

They refer to Colorado is West. Heck it is almost more Central. Why is the Midwest on the East side of the country?
I remember planning a trip to Colorado to visit friends, go to Ouray, etc. I really had no ideas where it was, but figured "well, they say it's in the West ..... and I live on the West coast of BC, so how far can it be?" 2500km later we ended up in Colorado.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I used to enjoy teaching this part of American History to undergrads.

"Out West" is closely tied with the concept of Manifest Destiny. For a long time, The United States did not extend past the Appalachian Mountains. Going 'out' west was essentially leaving the confines of "in" the United States. Of course that frontier line kept moving so the concept of West kept changing too.

From an American History perspective, West is Kentucky and anything after it.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I want to identify as something that doesn't have to pay income tax.

What should that be?
Nuclear attack subs don't pay taxes, but you've already mocked me for my identity so you can't be one.

It's in the rules, don't make me make one up.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I want to identify as something that doesn't have to pay income tax.

What should that be?
Nuclear attack subs don't pay taxes, but you've already mocked me for my identity so you can't be one.

It's in the rules, don't make me make one up.
I would NEVER mock a nukular attack sub. I don't like mushrooms.

Reactions: bgenlvtex