Why did you go with your current vehicle?

• HTML tutorial

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

I wanted a 2nd gen cummins, 3rd row seating smog exempt suv.

Ended up swapping (I say that like it is finished, Ha!) a 95 cummins into a 95 k2500 suburban. I grew up
With a suburban so there is that sentimental tie also.

I wanted to find a square body diesel suburban but finding a decent condition body was actually pretty hard. So ended up with the 95.

I love the truck, endless storage and real estate. On the roof alone I have 7 lights of various lengths, solar panel, extended roof rack, 2 jerry can holders, side mounts for tracks, shovel and mattock, awning, solar shower, soft storage for sleeping bags, tarps, rugs etc.

I like to over prepare so it's nice being able to carry everything I can think of and still have room for an espresso machine.20180729_183300.jpeg20180729_183331.jpegIMG_20180731_160216_441.jpeg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I actually just switched vehicles went from a lifted tahoe on 35s (currently for sale BTW) hdr_00829_0.jpg

to a forester
hdr_00823_1.jpg
anymore I'm doing day trips and for the most part Its mostly just gravel roads and light trails so having a rig on 35s was just complete overkill and getting something more fuel efficient is a big plus on those long road days . Another big part of the decision to go new was with kids school stuff and normal life busyness i wanted what free car working time i have to go into my project jeep not my daily driver, and now hopefully it will be done by winter so I can get some serious snow wheeling in this year .

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

datviewtho.jpg
1999 Honda CR-V

When I bought my vehicle, I had several criteria I had to meet. Firstly, my max buget was $3500, which is what I sold my previous vehicle for. With that money, I wanted to check off all the following:
-Inexpensive (I paid $1800 on craigslist, and then bought a set of General Grabber AT2's for about $500, so $2300 all-in initial cost for it with 270,000kms on the clock
-Economical - I wanted a 4 cylinder, preferably, and definitely nothing bigger than a 6, as the vehicle had to be my daily driver as well as my adventure mobile
-4wd - Had to have good off-road performance. I did a bunch of research on the 1st gen CR-V and saw a ton of videos of guys doing crazy off roading with them through some stuff I probably wouldn't even be willing to drive through, so I figured that although it doesn't have a low range gearbox or selectable 4wd, it would serve well enough. It's never let me down yet
-Compact - BC is covered in very narrow, very windy, often steep forest roads and tracks, and a narrow, agile vehicle is a big advantage in the backwoods here, so I wanted something small like a Samurai or a Tracker, if possible, although Samurai's cost a mint here
-Practical - I wanted a vehicle that would be practical to drive both offroading and on daily drives, which the CR-V fits to a T - it's one of the best thought-out interiors I've ever seen

It was down to this vs a Chevy tracker of the same age and exactly the same odo reading, but the tracker had some nasty body rust and an oil leak, so I ended up going with the V. So far I've been super happy with it, and I have plans to do a bunch of mods to it.

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

I fell in love with them and had my first Jeep XJ in 97. Fresh off the line in Ohio. Forward to 2016 and it was time to get something that would allow, my wife son and I to get farther into the woods and explore where we live. Found an XJ with a rebuilt engine and little rust and all the issues one this age would have, and records of regular oil changes. I bought it. It holds enough for the 3 of us. I know the idiosyncrasies of this beast, and I know its capabilities. Mostly I know it can get me where I want to go. Any place it will not get me, it will get me close enough that my legs or canoe can get me the rest of the way.

All of that said, my wife keeps mentioning a camper, she saw a pop up on a pick up and was intrigued. I was intrigued because it would mean extending the season out even farther, and staying dry in the winter, and decreasing roll out time. Time to get a second job.

machoog546

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Louis, MO
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Machuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9LOY
We had a 08 WRX that started having issues. The wife and I wanted another Subaru so we got a 13 Outback. Not too long after I started watching a lot of overlanding channels and here I am. I might get something else later, but for now this thing is doing well.

AT-venturist

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

El Dorado Hills, Ca
Member #

Reviving an almost 20 day old thread here, but, for me, at the time (2015) I was in the market for a midsize truck. Test drove the new 2nd gen GMC Canyon and was pleased with the quiet ride and modern tech that it came with. It was also the first truck I've ever had and was immediately hooked on the increased ride height and just about everything else that makes a truck a truck. Kept venturing further and further off the beaten path and haven't stopped.

Attachments

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I'm on my 3rd Jeep JKU. I've just always liked them. I love the open-air capability with the top off, although I don't do that as much any longer since installing drawers, fridge, recovery gear, etc - a bit risky on the theft side, so I leave the hardtop on most of the time. Jeeps are obviously very capable with off-roading, and at the same time, I find it comfortable enough for daily commuting. Plus, I just love the style of a Wrangler, especially the 4dr.

I've also always been attracted to widely available after-market products, for any vehicle I've owned, whether it has 4 wheels, or 2. And Wranglers obviously have one of the deepest inventory of after-market items, so I can more easily drain my fun-money account, thanks to OverlandBound as well:)

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

E3CBB448-8829-400B-8444-2E85E52EEBAA.jpeg I’ve always been a Toyota guy, so that was first, a solid front axle and manual transmission were also musts. I have also always loved the first generation 4x4 trucks, especially the 1979-1981 round headlight ones, so here we are! It’s a 1980, simple, reliable, and it puts a smile on my face every time I see it. It’s not perfect, but close. Parts are a bit tricky to find sometimes, and I would prefer a 5 speed and a long bed. But this truck does the job and I usually don’t go a week without someone complimenting the truck or wanting to buy it.