Why did you go with your current vehicle?

• HTML tutorial

AndyMKE

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I bought my 2017 Ram 1500 because I am a Mopar guy. Also it was real cheap (I work at a dealer), and it is big enough to tow my car trailer and haul my kids around. If I ever get another new one, I will prob look at a 2500. That way I could get the full crew cab and 6'4" bed. However the shorter wheel base does have its advantages for the relatively tight trails in the midwest.
ram5.JPG

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Wanted a Land Cruiser for a long time and a 150 series or a 200 series where to new and expensive.. 120 series where the best ones. I wanted a good travel vehicle and looking at emissions and stuff it needed to be a 2006+ 120 series.

In the end I found my vehicle about 6 month's before I could actually afford it (long story with my ex wife and mortages for the house and stuff) but working for Toyota was my saving and the dealer kept hold of the Cruiser for 6 month's. Combination of low milage, already having AT tires, dark windows and a few other good options made this the vehicle I wanted.

Reactions: Joey83

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

I chose my Nissan Pathfinder R51 2.5 Diesel after seeing so many of them on a trip to British Columbia. You don’t see too many of them in the U.K. I had a Ford Kuga (Escape) previously and it was just so bad. The build quality was shocking and off road it felt like you collided with every stone. So I wanted something more truck-like and robust. I wanted something that could go anywhere but that I could also camp out of the back when it was cold. The whole of the back in the PF folds flat into a double bed size area. It has an excellent auto transmission coupled with a Diesel engine (I know there are a few issues with the petrol versions in the USA).
I can honestly say I have never loved a car so much. It gets me out into the great outdoors and off on adventures!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

joemillionair

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Nevada henderson
First Name
Joemel
Last Name
I
Member #

Please erase that or pay no attention to that last post of mine it was an accident. I was trying to post a picture of my rig and a story and ended up with that.

Sent from my LG-H918 using OB Talk mobile app

TheBarefootFamily

Rank VII

Trail Mechanic III

Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Berkenbile
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
View attachment 38155

1999 Isuzu Vehicross. I got it because it’s different. Very different. I see a lot of Jeeps that badge “built not bought”, then cover it in name brand gear. I just can’t be that guy. I like to be an individual, and this definitely qualifies LOL! ;)

Don’t have a pic yet, but just put 31” tires on as well. The build is coming along nicely.
I have a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo for this reason 3" lift on 33x10.50R15, nothing under the hood had to get rid of the snorkel the mount broke in the extreme cold snap we had 2years ago and he has sat mothballs until my wife started using him for work.

Experience is gained through hardship.

Reactions: Thelgord

TheBarefootFamily

Rank VII

Trail Mechanic III

Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Berkenbile
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Currently, I am driving Ox my 2007 Ford Expedition EL it has a 5.4l 6-spd front and rear left lockers and CLD, right now its leveled looking forward going to install a 3" lift and 35s for trips, I have ordered both 33s and 35s for road and trail rides, picking up to full size spares as well. I haven't nailed down bumpers yet, but I already picked a Come Up 12k winch for the front and haven't decided on the rear winch yet, I have figured out the wheels and offsets, for the stance needed to level out my body roll off-road, with the new suspension I should have very little problems with Ox once it's all installed, my biggest problem is trail width LOL.

Experience is gained through hardship.

craigR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mt Dora, FL
Member #

My car is coming off three year lease, and need to turn it in (tomorrow, actually). It's the first car I've driven in nearly 15 years, everything else has been trucks (three Tacos, one 4Runner, and one F-150). I leased it due to my old job. It was our "bigger" family vehicle, but when I got it we only had one child. Three months after leasing, "surprise! you're having a boy!" haha. I wouldn't change it for the world, but the "mid-size German sports sedan" became instantaneously too small.

I planned on getting another Taco (naturally :yum:) as the replacement, but after visiting the local Toyota dealer and putting two child seats in the back, we knew it wasn't big enough. Not wanting another full-size truck, but also wanting to stay Toyota, I opted for another 4Runner, and couldn't be happier. Right about the time we started searching for a replacement vehicle (about a month ago), we also found OB. Perfect timing. Got about 1200 miles in two weeks.

Pic from taking the family to Sonic on our way home from church today...

PROJECTCUTTLEFISH

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Waxhaw, NC
First Name
Orlando
Last Name
Concepcion
Member #

I really like your jeep, I went with my Honda pilot because it was what I was driving at the time and really didn't want to start vehicle searching etc... plus it's a great, very dependable suv. However there are many things that I would change. Not much "aftermarket" support for this suv, so im very limited. For starters ground clearance. Only one lift kit available , which I have. The off road capabilities leave a lot to be desired. It's called a 4x4 but thats a lie, LOL it's more of an AWD on demand with traction control so basically no (4W high , 4W low)... but I absolutely push it to it's limits and hasn't blown up yet.

Reactions: MBroenkow

joemillionair

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Nevada henderson
First Name
Joemel
Last Name
I
Member #

I have my 2000 Toyota 4runner rwd as my daily at 1st. Then I fell in love of the offroad life (I was into lowered loud Hondas). So I started hanging out with offroad people and did a lot of research. I wished it was a 4wd but I have been going out a lot with 4wd jeeps and Toyota's and I haven't got stock. I modified my rear diff and installed an electric locker and helped me a lot on going up hill. Money is always a problem but this rig change my life for the best.

Sent from my LG-H918 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: sabjku and craigR

Gilbert

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Covina, CA
First Name
Gilbert
Last Name
Adame
Member #

for me and my family I chose the Suburban K2500. We are a family of 4 and 2 little dogs. On our 1 nighter trips we can all sleep inside the truck and for our week long trips I can take all the gear and still have room. I went with the 2500 because I wanted the beefier transmission and axles. That and I tow my jeep or other trailers.

Sent from my N9560 using OB Talk mobile app
Love your Suburban. I recently bought a 2010 suburban 1500 Z71 and put on 32" KO2

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Suburban_Overland

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Well we bought the rig - F250 2WD 7.3 Crew Cab short bed to be a tow rig for RV and track car, as well as doing material gathering trips. Plus out of the 50 some years I have been driving I have only been without a truck for about 8 years - gotta have a truck for working around the house and hauling stuff!

We owned it for 6 years before thinking of using it for truck camping - overlanding trips.

So now with the addition of the shell, which was originally bought so I could lock up race tires, goodies, tools and stuff while in eating places, we are doing more truck off the grid camping. Once I get the front 4wd axle installed we will be able to do more overland camping too.

dyno6.jpg
front 2.jpg

Hauling everything to go from flat dirt to -

front 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MBroenkow

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Thank you everyone that has replied to this thread! All I can say is you have a lot of nice overland vehicles out there. Hope we get more vehicles, stories and pictures! This is great, keep them coming!

KAWR_4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

New York City
Member #

I have a 2015 4runner trail premium. I used to have a 2010 jku with all sorts of mods but after driving across the country the long way (Seattle down to the southwest to vegas, moab, Santa Fe, etc. across the south to Mississippi and up the Atlantic back home to ny) I realized that a Jeep on 37s is unmatched on a rough trail in moab, or on some crazy rocks in the rubicon trail but for everything in between it doesn't exactly excel. The cabin isn't quiet and with the mods it was straight up loud. The driving feel isn't good and the comfort inside the car from the seats to the speakers is pretty basic. If you have ever driven 3-4 hours inside a wrangler you can understand. Anyways after that trip and those revelations enduced by long distance travel I started looking for other options. It basically came down to toyotas (LC, tacomas, or 4runners) or land rovers (discoveries and defenders) the Land Rover options were quickly dismissed because they essentially have the same problems that I saw in the Jeep. I ended up getting a 4runner and I don't regret my decision at all. My 4runner has everything I didn't have in the Jeep and more. Honestly of course it won't be climbing vertical walls at moab like the jeep did. Who knows maybe it will jajaja but how much time are you spending taking on such hard trails? And how much time are you spending driving long distances and camping? The latter is definitely the more frequent so I am happy. Attached are pictures of my previous Jeep and my current 4 runner

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I still have the Opel Frontera, but due the fact that it broke down for the third time I decided to buy a newer car.
So, this is the old one;

And this is the newer one

The reason why I bought the Liberty is that it had the same dimensions (more or less) as the Frontera. So our new trailer would fit perfectly behind it.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Philip Brown

Rank 0

Traveler I

Arizona
I am just beginning the build of my 92 4runner. I chose that vehicle because a family member was tired of watching it sit in his yard, unused. So I took it off of his hands cheap. :D

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

My brother had the FZJ80 Landcruiser I have just sitting in his driveway. He was not doing anything to it so I asked him if I could take it off his hands. It had been parked for a few years, so I started by getting it back up to running condition. And then I started browsing the classifieds on Ih8mud.com for parts and it went from
IMG-20161205-WA0025.jpg
To this
20171015_155126.jpg