Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

w0lfpack91

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Yavapai County, Arizona, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7QHJ
The biggest issue I run into with my 96 GMC K1500 is the IFS and Torsion Bar suspension compounded by the weak GM8.25 front differential. Newer GM trucks solved this with a more modern suspension system but those trucks are ridiculously expensive. The Torsion bar system is a bitch to lift properly and most the critical components hang very low and are easy to hit and damage not to mention dangerous when they snap due to the torsional load. Now the GM8.25 differential is another matter altogether, gearing exists for them but that’s about it, no reputable company makes a locker or even an LSD for the front and the shafts are so weak that they would snap even under moderate pedal with a standard LSD.

These trucks are great and fairly reliable but the two mentioned issues really hold them back. You can get around both by SASing the front and that’s a common modification with plenty of pre-built kits but finding the parts and doing the work will either cost a small fortune or take the better part of a few weekends. After the investment just setting up the suspension to work properly and safely you could have bought a better equipped truck from the get-go. HD Dodges, 2nd gen Ram1500s, and Ford super duty’s all have factory solid front axles and can be had at a reasonable price compared to the cost and hassle to setup a GM based truck.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

While the front diff is certainly the weak spot, a careful right foot and a winch can take these rigs a long way.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Hey there and welcome. I also have an 01 2500 HD. Ext cab w/ a 6ft bed. Many have said it’s too heavy a rig for overlanding, And while I would agree it’s not a rock crawler, I have loved it for everything else... work, camping, pulling trailers and boats and all the outdoors activities I have asked of it.

my advice is to throw a contractor rack over a truck topper and Overland away! If it’s your daily driver, pull a trailer set up for Overlanding. That’s what I did. Built a 8ft truck bed trailer with a topper and Full length contractor rack for the rtt and all the gear. But I did mine on the cheap. DIY. If you are just starting out, load up your camping gear and get some dirt time, then the gear you like will sort itself out. The coolest thing I’ve learned is that this hobby can be as simple and inexpensive or as complex and expensive as you let it get.

Buy it or build it to suit your style. Ask lots of questions and don’t be afraid to bounce ideas here. LOTs of great, knowledgeable and experienced folks here. Great resources from gear to amazing trips and advice. I have learned so much, and saved time and money.

Good hunting

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
Anyone be interested in a swing out bumper for a 01-06 2500hd? It might fit a 1500 but not 100%.

Holds 2-5 gal Jerry cans, full size propane tank, full size tire (mines 35 but it’ll hold a 37+), has a flip down table on it also.

has the hitch mounted to it, bolts on to factory holes in the frame.

ideally I’d like to trade for stock stuff plus cash.

Attachments

Edde

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colombia
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Cli
Glad I found this forum.

I live in Colombia and trucks are damn expensive here, but for some reason the 2023 Silverado Trail Boss Z71 is very similar to the US price.

Seems there's more Silverado overlanding rigs since this thread first started, so hopefully that means more aftermarket parts available.

Would love some advice on what to upgrade first, or if it's worth abusing the shocks it comes with before replacing?

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Glad I found this forum.

I live in Colombia and trucks are damn expensive here, but for some reason the 2023 Silverado Trail Boss Z71 is very similar to the US price.

Seems there's more Silverado overlanding rigs since this thread first started, so hopefully that means more aftermarket parts available.

Would love some advice on what to upgrade first, or if it's worth abusing the shocks it comes with before replacing?
I'd always recommend to just use your rig (cautiously) the way you want to.

While massive lifts, entire drive train replacements, and custom build outs are cool, they are largely impractical for most users.

Rather than have a bunch of internet strangers tell you what you NEED, just have fun and make upgrades you notice may help if you really find they will improve your adventure.

Edde

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colombia
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Cli
I'd always recommend to just use your rig (cautiously) the way you want to.

While massive lifts, entire drive train replacements, and custom build outs are cool, they are largely impractical for most users.

Rather than have a bunch of internet strangers tell you what you NEED, just have fun and make upgrades you notice may help if you really find they will improve your adventure.
Sound advice for any beginner, thank you.

I'll leave everything stock and focus on the camping aspect - all I need at first is a tent, secure storage, and a fridge. Oh and some basic recovery gear just to be prepared.

The Trail Boss Z71 should be able to handle most 'normal' situations.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hi guys.

Random thought...but as I consider more overlanding equipement investments into my 2016 Silverado...I wonder why the universe of Silverado's being used in this capacity is so small? I've had a few trips in mine now and there are a few things that come to mind, in terms of limitations:

1. Size. Pretty sure only the Power Wagon or other larger 3/4 ton trucks are larger than my rig. Pretty sure there's alot of trails I'll never be able to do simply because I can't fit. But...this is a full size overland vehicle issue and not just a Silverado problem.
2. Turning radius. Sorta hand in hand with the first point...my ability to turn, say on a switchback, seems pretty limited.
3. 4X4 performance. Not sure this is much of an issue...my rig has never had an issue, but I lack front lockers or even the ability to lock my rear diff on command. The G80 is fine if you understand how it works, but I'd think that e-lockers will always be preferred. But...I haven't found anything my truck can't go through, so perhaps this is another issue that's more theoretical than reality. I did learn how much it sucks to not have a disconnecting sway bar since I broke mine on a recent trip to Big Bend. +1 Power Wagon.
4. Chevy reliability. The 5.3L V8 that's in mine will probably outlast us all. The rest of the truck? Well...it's not Toyota.
5. Approach/Departure angles. No issue so far...was able to do anything I needed to in Big Bend including the 'Shelf' section on Black Gap Road in the NP. But...that's one trail. Not sure how I'd fare in more boulder-ridden trails out west.
6. Lack of aftermarket support. It's no Toyota...but I think I've been able to get most everything I need or want.
7. The wheel wells. They're square. Tires are round. Thus...to properly fit my 35" KO2's I have to have a truck on a 6" lift. Impacts both visibility AND mpg.
8. Perception. This could be the main thing...there's not kick ass Overlanding series where the guys tool around in Chevy's...pretty much every single one is one giant Toyota commercial (effective ones at that). So perhaps this is more my perception than reality.

OK...so that's alot but what I've considered. I'm curious what the community thinks. Honestly thinks...so have at it and don't worry about hurting feelings. I am really hoping to make an educated decision on how to proceed and getting some brutally honest, outside perspective will be a huge help! Here's a photo of 'Black Betty' on her lastest adventure, to Big Bend Ranch State Park in Texas.

I’m just now re reading your query. I’ll just say this- you stated that you broke a sway bar at Big Bend, we’ve been there, it’s really pretty mild stuff. If you broke a sway bar then what else will break really soon while traversing average trails and forest roads?

runswithscissors

Rank III

Advocate I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
phillip
Last Name
bonds
just sold my 4runner and looking at a 2017 ram 2500 6.4 i'm sure i'll enjoy it just as much if not more and what it wont be able to do that the 4runner did.. i'm sure it will do other things that the 4runner could never do. =)