Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I think the normal GM truck k1500 suspension is pretty cushy. The Z71, some say is a little stiffer. Offroad is supposed to be softer, but these trucks are like riding on a cloud to begin with.

These Bilstein 5100's seem to really be making a difference, though. Still a really nice ride without the jounce of a Jeep. I'd drive this truck clear across the continent and be comfy the whole way out

Reactions: MrTheKiller

MrTheKiller

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I think the normal GM truck k1500 suspension is pretty cushy. The Z71, some say is a little stiffer. Offroad is supposed to be softer, but these trucks are like riding on a cloud to begin with.

These Bilstein 5100's seem to really be making a difference, though. Still a really nice ride without the jounce of a Jeep. I'd drive this truck clear across the continent and be comfy the whole way out

Your making me want to install a set on my Z71.... My truck is due for a set of shocks, for the price I think I might opt for the dual reservoir shocks.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I can imagine that a set of Fox on a Wrangler are where it's at!

But as for trucks, specifically a Z71...wow. This 2014 Sierra is the nicest truck I've ever owned. Smoothest ride and all even with the Ranchos. These Bilsteins on this z71 just bring it to a higher place. A place where it should have been all along.

I've seen posts in a GM truck forum where - according to one post - the 5100's improved the ride of a High Country Silverado.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I ditched my ranchos before they had a chance to break in but the RC shocks arent that bad. I think a set of king coilovers and shocks are in my future

Reactions: dp454so

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I will say, without a proper shop or a wall-mounted heavy duty spring compressor, swapping out the front coil-overs is best left to a professional. So, while I removed the front, I did ultimately have to bring them to a shop for compression and swap out. By the time I paid for that, I maybe should have gotten something that comes with the spring already mounted on the shock.

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

im lucky to be a tech and have all the tools i need to perform any job on my truck but even looking at prices and labor cost it really is hard to beat the 5100s the cost to performance quality is a rather great deal. i was trying to hold off on the 5100s because we are in process of becoming an icon dealer and will be going to icon coil over lift but with covid that has been delayed into beginning of 2021. but i sure am happy i did the 5100s. so much better than worn out 130k stock struts.

also i wish there was an option to gain a little suspension travel up front with out having to cut frame and go to a giant lower cross member. i want a little more ground clearance but it does not seem to be an option without spending thousands on cross members and what not.

anyway heres a couple pics from the install you can see the garbage the previous owner put in the rear. i pulled them out and the just collapsed rear shocks were not even doing the shock thing there supposed to do 20200630_180355.jpg20200630_194544.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I will say, without a proper shop or a wall-mounted heavy duty spring compressor, swapping out the front coil-overs is best left to a professional. So, while I removed the front, I did ultimately have to bring them to a shop for compression and swap out. By the time I paid for that, I maybe should have gotten something that comes with the spring already mounted on the shock.
I agree with you on that but some other think it saves them money. Im a welder/fabricator so i can do alot of the work myself and have friends ask me for help when doing their shocks/suspension

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I agree with you on that but some other think it saves them money. Im a welder/fabricator so i can do alot of the work myself and have friends ask me for help when doing their shocks/suspension
Although I happen to have a lot of hand tools and such, I am not a mechanic. So I like to try what I can, and have to watch my limits. Sometimes I think I'm going to save $ but I hit a snag and, whoops!

This was definitely one of those times. I'll get some pics up. I got everything out OK, but the retaining nuts at the top ce ters of the coil-overs looked like they were one with the spindle. More importantly, the silly, flimsy, hand tool-only spring compressor was nowhere near up to the task, so discretion was the better part of valor and I took it to a local guy

Reactions: cary holt

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Just finished up my '17 Silverado CST4.5 lift, with the optional CST shocks. These shocks are da-bomb, fully adjustable and very comfortable. When i get a second battery, the hidden SmittyBuilt 10k winch will be functional.

• Love
Reactions: Mrz71 and RoarinRow

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Just finished up my '17 Silverado CST4.5 lift, with the optional CST shocks. These shocks are da-bomb, fully adjustable and very comfortable. When i get a second battery, the hidden SmittyBuilt 10k winch will be functional.

Very nice! I'd love to find a set of steps or sliders like that which extend as near the rear wheel as they do the front. It would help reaching in for cargo from the sides

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

Sweet rig for sure!

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Very nice! I'd love to find a set of steps or sliders like that which extend as near the rear wheel as they do the front. It would help reaching in for cargo from the sides
Those steps are the stock Chevy "Off-Road" steps. I'm thinking about building my own sliders with removable steps for street use. Or, maybe just going full on street with some Amp Research auto-steps that drop down automagically.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Those steps are the stock Chevy "Off-Road" steps. I'm thinking about building my own sliders with removable steps for street use. Or, maybe just going full on street with some Amp Research auto-steps that drop down automagically.
I've got the Amp Research steps. I like how they drop lower than a fixed step normally is, which is great for my family/kids who try to climb into the truck with a 6" lift. When it is retracted, it's hidden so the truck looks even higher lol.

AC8924CE-2771-4F2A-8686-2A3FE19818C0.jpeg

Reactions: Tim Roberts

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Roarin, nice setup on the steps. Did you also get the "extended" add-on for your Amp steps?
I've been considering these, but I also wanted the AMP steps to tuck up nice against the body, even with the extension, as opposed to being an inch or so from the body when stowed.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Roarin, nice setup on the steps. Did you also get the "extended" add-on for your Amp steps?
I've been considering these, but I also wanted the AMP steps to tuck up nice against the body, even with the extension, as opposed to being an inch or so from the body when stowed.
No I didn't get it with the extension kit. Didn't know they had it until you mentioned it and I just now Googled it. Even as is it comes down low enough and is definitely hidden when retracted.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I just drop the struts off at a shop for a spring swap.

In this case, coil overs would be hard to resist.

Reactions: RoarinRow and rho

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Can you fit 37's with that lift?