Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

MuleMite

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Miller
Member #

I'm just starting to modify my 99 Silverado. So far it's always done what I've asked of it. Reliability? 183k and counting. Rusty but trusty. Aftermarket support isn't great (or really existent at all) for a 99, but I am also not afraid to get creative. For now, I have the cap, good A/T tires, and I'm looking into more lighting options since the stock headlights are junk. Might do a small lift and bigger tires once I get another daily driver. I blew the motor on my last one a few months ago so the Chevy needs all the mpg help it can get right now.
I have a '99 Tahoe that I am using, so far it has gone where I asked it and would probably do more but, I am usually alone and do not want to get somewhere I cannot get out of alone. I have a rooftop tent, custom sliders and 265/75R16 KO2 tires, everything else is stock. Looking at 205K on the clock so far and still ticking.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thanks! We actually have an amazing group of rigs in our camping group, Subaru Outback, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. Its a fantastic group. My exhaust is a Borla. It didn't come with the truck when I got it, so I contacted the dealer and made sure I was adding the upgraded exhaust they put on the Silverados. Not too loud, but very throaty
Nice mixed group. I have a Magnaflow single out on the side. Keeping my eye out for other options, not too loud, but nice rumble.

MuleMite

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Miller
Member #

I am very happy to see Silverados out there, I thought I was the only one... Lol
Wait until you go to a get together lol. Then you'll be on the only Silverado. I know the feeling.
Lol, I would be the only Tahoe there, have not seen any other Tahoe's set up for overlanding. Mine is not done yet, a work in progress.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

Attachments

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I know the feeling of being the only full size lol heres a shot of me and some of my friends I go out with. Funny thing is tho sometimes they ask me to carry thier gear because they cant fit it and I laugh and tell them I dont think I have the room for it when I clearly do. I do like to take mine over rocks and they trails these guys go down and I fit just fine.

35432.jpegIMG-20200705-WA0027.jpg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
The Taco guys I roll with will occasionally try to give me crap about weight. Most of them have added so much to their rigs that they’re at or above gvwr. Mine being a stripped police model was several hundred pounds lighter than a consumer model, and is still below the weight of the mid size Tacos.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The Taco guys I roll with will occasionally try to give me crap about weight. Most of them have added so much to their rigs that they’re at or above gvwr. Mine being a stripped police model was several hundred pounds lighter than a consumer model, and is still below the weight of the mid size Tacos.
That reminds me, I need to get mine weighed.

Reactions: Sparksalot

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I just installed Bilstein 5100's in my 2014 GMC Sierra Z71 K1500.
Ho.
Ly.
F*k.

I got them from Kolak. I think he mostly hangs on the Jeep forums. I did business with him a year or two ago for my '99 Grand Cherokee. He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

These Bilstein shocks are an amazing upgrade from the Ranchos that came with the Z71 Offroad package. I set the fronts to the highest setting (about 1.8 inch lift to get rid of that nosedive look20200704_124700.jpg). The potholes and asphalt patches seem to have disappeared from the New England roads I'm driving. Do we have a thread dedicated to suspension or shocks or Bilstein, where I should be posting this?

20200702_183220.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Right on, Cary. Before installing them, I put on 3 coats of clearcoat, to help preserve the metallic finish in this wet, salty, and humid New England environment.

I told the girlfriend I was going for a test drive yesterday and was gone an hour and a half just trying highway, slow turns, fast turns, back road, pothole, patches, railroad tracks, gravel, anything I could find! Nothing made me unhappy

Reactions: cary holt

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

I just got a 2020 Silverado Trail Boss and Im looking forward to getting it out and around. I have a Turtleback Trailer Ill pull behind it (also have a Jeep Wrangler JKUR). Anything I should first and foremost?

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

I thought about adding a camper and doing the roof rack on it but that will be sometime down the road most likely.

Reactions: RoarinRow

MrTheKiller

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I used to run the 5100's on my JKU years back then later switched to FOX... Both are great shocks, I felt the 5100's were too soft for my tastes.