Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
heres a few pictures since my first trip with the tent. have a few additions and learning how i want my rig set up. have been planning my slide out kitchen and waiting for my awning to show up. new since last pictures, skid plates, removable bike mount, amber and white led, solar panel for maintaining accessory battery, high lift jack, traction boards (ALSO USED FOR LEVELING), overland bound emblems, and ladder extension! enjoy
View attachment 161629View attachment 161626View attachment 161627View attachment 161628View attachment 161631View attachment 161630
It's cool how you can have the soft topper and RTT setup at the same time!

Reactions: dp454so

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

It's cool how you can have the soft topper and RTT setup at the same time!
thanks man. thats why i decided to build all of my own things because no one makes what i wanted for my truck. i have kayak mounts bike mounts and a platform that all drop on and bolt to the same position. i have to finalize some of the platform but ill have more soon. i need to sit down and make a rig build thread

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
thanks man. thats why i decided to build all of my own things because no one makes what i wanted for my truck. i have kayak mounts bike mounts and a platform that all drop on and bolt to the same position. i have to finalize some of the platform but ill have more soon. i need to sit down and make a rig build thread
Yeah I'm sure you could help a lot of people with your build/ideas.

Acolle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ang
Last Name
CO
Member #

I'm running a 2500. My old rig was a built 4 Runner. Space. Was. Limited. Dirt bike plan required a tad more. So we upgraded. Best decision ever. Also, we don't plan to do crawling in this sucker. Just getting out there with some capable 4 wheeling fun.

IMG_7988.jpegIMG_8106.jpeg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I'm running a 2500. My old rig was a built 4 Runner. Space. Was. Limited. Dirt bike plan required a tad more. So we upgraded. Best decision ever. Also, we don't plan to do crawling in this sucker. Just getting out there with some capable 4 wheeling fun.

View attachment 161634View attachment 161635
Awesome build. Love that bumper lights, camper top, etc. I agree on space. It's plenty for now cause my kids are still young lol.

Reactions: Acolle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Nice set-up. I have a Sierra k1500 and I often think my next one will be a 2500. The jury is still out on that. I just dont tow all that often, though theres a possibility that may change.

Really nice Sierra!

Reactions: Acolle

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
2017 Silverado here. Only full size rig in my group of camping buddies but we all manage to get down the trails fine here in North Carolina
Very cool setup! How kind of muffler do you have installed? I see dual exhaust.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Very cool setup! How kind of muffler do you have installed? I see dual exhaust.
Thanks! We actually have an amazing group of rigs in our camping group, Subaru Outback, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. Its a fantastic group. My exhaust is a Borla. It didn't come with the truck when I got it, so I contacted the dealer and made sure I was adding the upgraded exhaust they put on the Silverados. Not too loud, but very throaty

Reactions: RoarinRow

MrTheKiller

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I am currently building my recently acquired 1998 Z71 extended cab. 300k on the clock and dead reliable, looks and drives like new. The 5.7 has decent power, I can fit 33's on the truck in stock form, no big expensive lift required. It has plenty of storage and ground clearance for most moderate trails. I just need to build my winch bumpers and storage/bed rack for the rtt.

Reactions: RoarinRow

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I'm no expert, but I think, if you are talking rock climbing or rugged trail riding, a Jeep, a Taco, or a Colorado is where it's at. I get the idea that over-landing is different than that, so the bigger trucks can actually do very well. I hope so, anyway. I'm using my Sierra

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

Thats a SHARP SHARP front bumper. Care to share brand and model?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
heres a few pictures since my first trip with the tent. have a few additions and learning how i want my rig set up. have been planning my slide out kitchen and waiting for my awning to show up. new since last pictures, skid plates, removable bike mount, amber and white led, solar panel for maintaining accessory battery, high lift jack, traction boards (ALSO USED FOR LEVELING), overland bound emblems, and ladder extension! enjoy
View attachment 161629View attachment 161626View attachment 161627View attachment 161628View attachment 161631View attachment 161630
Aftermarket OR.....homemade skid plates? (black ones) I like the transmission one first, then the big transfer case one, as my 2003 OEM is much smaller. The Duramax/ Allison with it's spin on external filter is just waiting to be snagged on a rock or obstacle. Just glad there's no Def, as the now earlier design location was so marginal. Even with upgraded aftermarket skid-plates . Had a work colleague rip a transmission external filter right off on a rock driving a military hummer, what a mess that was cleaning the fluid up on BLM land because of permit restrictions and trail lightly principals. It had a extensive belly plate skid design also......but No Joy, and he wasn't driving in a rock field.

The other sub par design issue is that area where the inter-cooler and bottom/back of the front bumper is- see photo). There is just a big opening with NO protection from sticks or limbs from poking a hole in the inter cooler. GM really left their under carriages vulnerable, even when you ordered the full OEM under carriage skid plate system.
2500 HD recovery hooks.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT 07/08/20

I like the idea of a fuel tank skid plate. Outside of cost, GM should at-least offer it either on a off-road trim version, or as a OEM option, open to any
trim level. My old 1985 F-150 6 cylinder, LWB, had a full STEEL gas tank skid plate. It showed a few scratches, so you know it worked. I don't even know if FORD even offers that now. Maybe their top tier RAPTOR has it as an included part. You would hope so!

Attachments

Last edited:

MrTheKiller

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I'm no expert, but I think, if you are talking rock climbing or rugged trail riding, a Jeep, a Taco, or a Colorado is where it's at. I get the idea that over-landing is different than that, so the bigger trucks can actually do very well. I hope so, anyway. I'm using my Sierra

I very much agree. I was big into rock krawling for about 10 years and my main rig was a 2008 Jeep JKU on 37's and dana 60's powered by a 5.7 hemi. That was a great krawler. The 98 Z71 wil be a whole different beast. Low CG, built to be reliable and drive like a daily driver yet be capable on moderate trails. It has decent ground clearance but it is long being an extended cab so the break over angle and get to be an issue on some obstacles. Skid plates and a good winch will be required.

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

Aftermarket OR.....homemade skid plates? (black ones) I like the transmission one first, then the big transfer case one, as my 2003 OEM is much smaller. The Duramax/ Allison with it's spin on external filter is just waiting to be snagged on a rock or obstacle. Just glad there's no Def, as the now earlier design location was so marginal. Even with upgraded aftermarket skid-plates . Had a work colleague rip a transmission external filter right off on a rock driving a military hummer, what a mess that was cleaning the fluid up on BLM land because of permit restrictions and trail lightly principals. It had a extensive belly plate skid design also......but No Joy, and he wasn't driving in a rock field.

The other sub par design issue is that area where the inter-cooler and bottom/back bumper is. There is just a big opening with NO protection from sticks or limbs from poking a hole in the inter cooler. GM really left their under carridges vulnerable, even when you ordered the full OEM under carridge skid plate system.
View attachment 161653
yea its home made. its actually some corner guards that some one made and were wrong. i got them from a metal shop when they moved. i get all my metal from this shop and am buiding all my own things. im working on sliders right now. but the skid plate i will be going to a bigger one. im doing a full sheet under the engine to back where the gas tank is. then will build a second plate for the gas tank. will make for a pain when servicing but id rather have to work a little harder during servicing than smack a hole in a trans or rip a abs module out