Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Using a full size rig has its drawbacks because of width, not articulated length. A big wide vehicle is much less maneuverable, oftentimes impossible to maneuver, on tight narrow trails that a narrower vehicle, even with a trailer can easily traverse.. geometry and spacial intellect are not idiotic premises.
You know what, every rig has draw backs depending on what you want to use it for. I love jeeps but you sure have to stuff them full of stuff and not great for towing boat or larger trailers. As mentioned before, larger rigs like my Silverado are not great for rock climbing or on narrow trails. All depends on what you want and everything is a compromise! Love my Silverado and all the space and power and it loves going cross country camping or Overlanding! It’s all good guys, love your ride and enjoy!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
You know what, every rig has draw backs depending on what you want to use it for. I love jeeps but you sure have to stuff them full of stuff and not great for towing boat or larger trailers. As mentioned before, larger rigs like my Silverado are not great for rock climbing or on narrow trails. All depends on what you want and everything is a compromise! Love my Silverado and all the space and power and it loves going cross country camping or Overlanding! It’s all good guys, love your ride and enjoy!
Agreed 100%, my remark was intended to nullify the “idiotic” comment previously posted.

Reactions: RickLB

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
GM does not have to do a copy of the Ford Raptor. They instead need to do as RAM did, separate from the Power Wagon. They need to at least offer some 'ala-carte' off road parts thru their parts department. While RAM/FIAT does not offer the full package, they offer upgrades not seen on the standard OEM offerings.

If GM did this business model, they would go a long way towards offering a competitive product. A Raptor has a lot of parts separate from standard F Series trucks. It would be much cheaper to offer things like.....bash plates, transmission SKID PLATES, fuel tank skid plates, etc, over a separate truck offering.

Toyota offers both a plastic, and a steel fuel tank skid, depending on the trim level.
My old 1985 F-150 4x4 with the basic 6 cyl. Engine came with a steel fuel tank skid. It also had that standard frame rail to frame rail skid plate as seen under the trucks and Broncos.

Offer the rear shock skids as the Colorado does for those who travel in rocks. Not everyone needs them but some owners would appreciate the option.
I had an 86 f150 4x4, three speed with creeper, bare bones, rubber floor mats, bench seat,, that thing was a beast..

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Chev, Ford, Dodge cater to 3 distinct markets and buyers for each have different needs or desires. The Chev is not common overlanding because guys who buy them aren't interested in overlanding. But also Chevs cater to a more urban buyer. Fords rep is for work truck tough. Dodge.... rides on the engines rep, Cummins or Hemi. All 3 are similar but overlanders just aren't focused on a cushy Chevy with lots of bling.

The big difference tho..... Chevy has been doing the independent front suspension for 30 years. But you can still buy a Ford or Dodge with solid axles and solid axles are bulletproof by comparison. In the oilfield, we'd rebuild a Chevy front end after 2 years. We never rebuilt a Ford. And Dodges were as tough as the Fords. Chevy went luxury. Ford stayed the Ford Tough route. Dodge stuck to their roots with 60 years of horse power heritage.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Chev, Ford, Dodge cater to 3 distinct markets and buyers for each have different needs or desires. The Chev is not common overlanding because guys who buy them aren't interested in overlanding. But also Chevs cater to a more urban buyer. Fords rep is for work truck tough. Dodge.... rides on the engines rep, Cummins or Hemi. All 3 are similar but overlanders just aren't focused on a cushy Chevy with lots of bling.

The big difference tho..... Chevy has been doing the independent front suspension for 30 years. But you can still buy a Ford or Dodge with solid axles and solid axles are bulletproof by comparison. In the oilfield, we'd rebuild a Chevy front end after 2 years. We never rebuilt a Ford. And Dodges were as tough as the Fords. Chevy went luxury. Ford stayed the Ford Tough route. Dodge stuck to their roots with 60 years of horse power heritage.
I agree.

But, explain Toyota.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I agree.

But, explain Toyota.
Honda, 1980. Toyota,1990. Hyundai, 2000. Kia, 2010.... understand ?
If you value reliability, maintenance costs, warranty service with out an arguement. These are the leaders.
But if you are a "Made in America" fan boy like me..... you pretend it is not so.

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Honda, 1980. Toyota,1990. Hyundai, 2000. Kia, 2010.... understand ?
If you value reliability, maintenance costs, warranty service with out an arguement. These are the leaders.
But if you are a "Made in America" fan boy like me..... you pretend it is not so.
I’m getting into this conversation a little late but my 1994 Jeep Cherokee went 435,000 miles on the original engine and trans with very little maintenance, my Tahoe after that went 250,000 miles all original equipment no problems and I never had to do breaks and my current Silverado is at 60,000 with not a single issue. If you do normal fluid changes ect., I think American made can stand with the other rides out there!

Reactions: Chevyman29

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’m getting into this conversation a little late but my 1994 Jeep Cherokee went 435,000 miles on the original engine and trans with very little maintenance, my Tahoe after that went 250,000 miles all original equipment no problems and I never had to do breaks and my current Silverado is at 60,000 with not a single issue. If you do normal fluid changes ect., I think American made can stand with the other rides out there!
Until you start bashing the crap out of em off pavement. Toyota’s, like it or not, are way overbuilt and can take the beating.. ever notice that with American made rigs when something breaks it is always highly recommended to “ upgrade”? Japanese rigs, be it Toyota, Nissan, or Mitsubishi the overwhelming consensus is to keep it OEM. Example? Suspension bushings in every Jeep I ever owned needed replaced and upgraded between 50 and 75 k miles.. Toyota bushings have nearly 3 times that lifespan.. Full float axles? No contest.

Reactions: Billiebob

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Until you start bashing the crap out of em off pavement. Toyota’s, like it or not, are way overbuilt and can take the beating.. ever notice that with American made rigs when something breaks it is always highly recommended to “ upgrade”? Japanese rigs, be it Toyota, Nissan, or Mitsubishi the overwhelming consensus is to keep it OEM. Example? Suspension bushings in every Jeep I ever owned needed replaced and upgraded between 50 and 75 k miles.. Toyota bushings have nearly 3 times that lifespan.. Full float axles? No contest.
I’m sure you are correct under those conditions. I don’t bash mine up and if I did, I see your point!

Reactions: MOAK

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I’m sure you are correct under those conditions. I don’t bash mine up and if I did, I see your point!
Which is why you love that Tahoe and Silverado. They are built to be cushy. Just don't push the envelope.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Using a full size rig has its drawbacks because of width, not articulated length. A big wide vehicle is much less maneuverable, oftentimes impossible to maneuver, on tight narrow trails that a narrower vehicle, even with a trailer can easily traverse.. geometry and spacial intellect are not idiotic premises.
I see you didn't bother to actually look at the measurements of the vehicles I named. You didn't disagree with any of my facts, just stated other information we both generally agree on. What did I disagree about? I think a single long rig is typically easier to find a line for, and certainly easier to reverse, than a shorter rig with a trailer.

Addressing my original statement, I wrote that the most commonly used offroad rigs now are basically the same dimensions of older popular models long-since referred to as fullsize. Depending on which two you compare, there's only an additional 2-3 inches on each side of the vehicle. Pulling into your garage, you might feel it. On the trail, you'll never notice it. I stand by my statement: virtually everything is "fullsize" now.

Jeep JKU
74x188

FJ Cruiser
75x184

4Runner
76x191

Ford Bronco
79x184

K5 Blazer
80x185

Ramcharger
80x189

* Measurements were generally read quickly from Google results and may not be as accurate as possible.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Jeep TJ body,
60x144

plus 2-3 inches per side for the plastic flares.
Those dimensions above are the main reason I still drive a TJ.

I definitely notice it on my trails which are all thru forests.

Just because everything is bigger today does not mean the older, smaller rigs are without advantages.
I'd love to find one of these to overland.

blue9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin108

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Jeep TJ body,
60x144

plus 2-3 inches per side for the plastic flares.
Main reason I still drive a TJ.

I definitely notice it on my trails which are all thru forests.

Just because everything is bigger today does not mean the older, smaller rigs are without advantages.
I'd love to find one of these to overland.

View attachment 100180
The YJ/XJ/TJ, S-10/Blazer, and Ranger/Bronco II were precisely what I was thinking of when deciding that everything is full-size now.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The YJ/XJ/TJ, S-10/Blazer, and Ranger/Bronco II were precisely what I was thinking of when deciding that everything is full-size now.
The older I get the more I like the Bronco II and the Mustang II. I think it would be cool to have one of each.

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Which is why you love that Tahoe and Silverado. They are built to be cushy. Just don't push the envelope.
When I transitioned from my Cherokee to the Tahoe, it was quite a change! Loved that Jeep but the comfort built into the Tahoe was nice! The Silverado is my comfortable ride now but, it goes off road and handles it nice!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I see you didn't bother to actually look at the measurements of the vehicles I named. You didn't disagree with any of my facts, just stated other information we both generally agree on. What did I disagree about? I think a single long rig is typically easier to find a line for, and certainly easier to reverse, than a shorter rig with a trailer.

Addressing my original statement, I wrote that the most commonly used offroad rigs now are basically the same dimensions of older popular models long-since referred to as fullsize. Depending on which two you compare, there's only an additional 2-3 inches on each side of the vehicle. Pulling into your garage, you might feel it. On the trail, you'll never notice it. I stand by my statement: virtually everything is "fullsize" now.

Jeep JKU
74x188

FJ Cruiser
75x184

4Runner
76x191

Ford Bronco
79x184

K5 Blazer
80x185

Ramcharger
80x189

* Measurements were generally read quickly from Google results and may not be as accurate as possible.
The only thing I disagreed with you about was your use of language, referring to a thought process as being idiotic. Personally, I'd rather drag a trailer around behind me than drive a full size rig. My rig is, in all reality, a medium sized vehicle, even though we scale out at 7,000 lbs and another 1,000 lbs of trailer. 30 years ago I toyed with the idea of building out my F150 into a long distance overlanding rig. It was simply too wide, too long and more than a bit on the clumsy side to traverse the narrow trails of the north eastern US and Canada, ( otherwise known as the Great North Woods.) That's just my personal opinion based upon about 40 years of doing this thing we all love to do. I certainly do not refer to anyone else's opinions or justifications as being idiotic.

Reactions: Kevin108

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have to say that a few inches makes a big difference on the trails I run. Many of the places I have taken my XJ are simply impossible to even consider for my Suburban.

One of the groups I wheel with used to be mostly XJs, now they have moved on to JKUs. One of the couples has gone for more luxury and gotten a Sportsmobile. They have done a noble job of trying not to be a problem, but there have been some places they just can't go. It is a width issue. Rocks just aren't very forgiving.

I will note that these trails are old desert mining trails. No one wanted to cut/blast out any more rock than they had to in order to make these trails. Other parts of the country may be substantially different.

Reactions: MOAK

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Everytime someone plays the width card, which really only applies to tight trails and wheeling, I just BRAAAAP:

It's the same argument. Jeeps don't fit down singletrac. And trails that pinstripe a 4runner, a bike can go 55mph down.

Also, if you figure that a jeeps sits 2 people, 2 bikes have the same GVWR as one Jeep Rubicon. Lol. Tight trails are best on bikes. Oddly the TAT is made by bikers, but fullsize friendly. Bizarro world.

Choose the right vehicle for the task at hand. And keep in mind that you can do fullsize stuff now, and Jeep stuff later any time you want to. You can trade your spare tire and a case of cigarettes for a decent overlanding equpped XJ, anywhere in the USA. (except maine or Vermont where XJ's are worshipped)

I loved my YJ when I make a wrong turn at a state park and end up on 4wheeler trails. But I was miserable on any road that a fullsize fits down. Trucks have AC, go in a straight line down washboard sand roads, don't drip on you, don't need wipers INSIDE the windshield, can carry more gear than 2 bikes legally, don't have canvas roofs that imitate a giant bass drum when passing semi's, can tow and haul, aren't completely assembled by stripped torx screws, etc. etc.

Anywhere a fullsize fits, it's the better choice. 98% of my YJ's life was spent in places a fullsize can go to. The last 2%?.............BRAAAAAAP!

As for the GM thing? Ford can fit 35x12.5r18's stock, has a Dana 60 up front, stock rear e locker, and a giant crew cab. Just mild, cheap suspension work fits 37x13.5r18's easy peasy. I test drove the GM and Dodge first. GM just plain doesn't understand me, and Dodge's front axle is lacking my favor. I've also been wanting an aluminum truck since people started overlanding with Hummers.

Last edited:

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
The big thing I think is a generally weak front end on them, they are very much geared towards comfort and road manners vs heavy off road use. Heck... the new base model 4x4 chevy half ton trucks don't even have low range anymore unless you can find one with the offroad package.

in terms of my experience with them, I've done a lot of front end work on a few different GMT800 trucks this past year. This includes my wifes truck and for some friends GMT800 trucks and they're generally not up to the task of heavy offroad use imo.
That said, wheelbase is key with those trucks, we can get our 2wd standard cab/short bed Sierra in places that a 4x4 longbed/crewcab can't get into because the wheelbase is a lot shorter.