Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

Clay Kight

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Hilliard, Nassau County, Florida, United States
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Kight
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine
I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 crew cab short bed that I am slowly rigging up for overlanding. I take her on the trails regularly and I'm amazed at where I can go with it in stock form. Hopefully as more of us start rocking the full sized Chevies we'll get better aftermarket support for overlanding. For right now I'm planning on a lot of custom fabrication.

Attachments

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Well here is what ive learned, alot of folks aren't interested in full size pickups offroad due to the size of rig vs trail size. Also heavier rigs have a little harder time in the mud. Possibly there are fewer parts available thats something ive been dealing with on my colorado z71 diesel. Your truck looks good and would be absolutely great in the desert

Reactions: Jester

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I did discover that a heavy truck (1995 Suburban) does do better in deep compacted snow back in the day when I lived up in Fairbanks, AK.

My old suburban had large BF Goodrich TA tires and would not float on the deep snow. Sunk right down to the ground and would push/plow through the deep stuff.

The Eaton autolocking diff. (G80 option code on sticker in the glove box) offered forever from GM from the factory is a pretty darn reliable and useful feature.

I did shear off a power steering shaft when doing doughnuts in the deeps stuff when it was around -25degF once. The pully stayed attached and I just drove back. Looked at my power steering fluid and it looked like paste glue at those temps... which is why it broke.

So... everything does have an advantage somewhere. lol

The lighter trucks would float on that stuff and loose traction/have to get dug out.

Reactions: dp454so

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

True i have limited experience with snow i lived in indianapolis for 7 years so i do know fwd or 4x4 is a must, my saab 9000 turbo was a snow king, the black gumbo mud i have in my area of texas though will sink a heavy rig down past the axles real quick. I regularly everytime it rains have to pull bigger trucks out of the mud rd next to my house, they usually make it no further than 10 feet off pavement before they are stuck. They get really mad too when my 14 hp yanmar 1500 yanks them out.

Reactions: BobsGarage

Koopdaddy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Loveland, CO, USA
Member #

Interesting thread and some good info!

My only 4x4 vehicle currently is a 2004 chevy suburban 2500 lt with the 8.1l engine. I have it as my highway hauler and family vehicle. Yep it sucks gas, but it's constant regardless of load.

I'm not sure I want to do a whole bunch of modifications to it as I do need it for hauling, but I do want to add a roof rack, some lighting and few other things to make it. A vehicle the family can take out and explore. I don't expect to make it through every rocky hill but there's enough out there to explore it's ok.

Eventually I want a trailer with a rtt to haul all the gear.

Looking forward to exploring!

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I have a 04 Tahoe, and I'll agree it's hard to find particular parts ie: rock sliders...but as for suspension upgrades not mods..for sure it's possible. I've notice most of the Toyotas and jeeps have the approach angles as well as ground clearance but that's with Modifications. My goal is to use my 04 Tahoe Z71 with a upgrade Belstein shocks and Firestone rear airbags. Duel battery is out, but the northstar deep cycle or red top should work. Overall I believe with the right upgrades and doing NO mods, the Tahoe should hold up well.
Why is a dual battery out? You can buy a 2 battery kit for a Duramax or do like I do and buy welding cable and DIY.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I'm having the same problem with my 2013 Suburban; but the options are almost non-existent for bumpers and sliders.

Have you looked at ORD? They specialize in full size GM vehicles. Lots of goodies over there.
O ff
R oad
D esign

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

Finding this thread a wee bit late, after doing a little search on Chevy's as overland rigs, what a treat to be brought back to my favorite community. It's been an odd transition to go from full-time travel out of a Rubicon to now driving a Silverado HD. In fact, I've had the chance to drive a few different trucks these last six months and have fallen in LOVE with this Chevy. It has the same "drive-feel" (if that makes sense) as my old Rubicon (4-door). Albeit, a bit of a boat! Frankly, it's a beast and inspiration for my next rig-build, so coming across this thread has been a breath of fresh air. I've never been the "cool kid" and my family grew up with Chevy's - never ONCE did it break down, nor did we ever get stuck in a Central New York blizzard (we saw many!)

Thank you all who contributed their thoughts! Read every one and feeling confident this devoted Jeep girl is going to be stoked on the space and capabilities of her future truck camper adventure home! Jenn & Monty

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

Here's mine, 2015, bought in 2017 with only 10k on it. Up to a whopping 37k (LOL). Not going to go super crazy with it anytime soon. Plan on leveling the front, well almost level. Would like a tad bit of rake still. Bump the tire size up one size probably and get rid of these "ALL TERRAIN" tires and get something more aggressive. Maybe take the front bottom skirt off it. My thoughts are a short rack and a RTT so it's not much farther above the top of the truck. Probably never do a cover as I generally hate the thought of messing with them. I got too many other expensive hobbies to deck it all out. Plus camping in the summer months sucks, between the heat and bugs.

Don't worry about natures pin stripping to much, just try to avoid the big stuff.

It is bear to turn around sometimes on the tight Michigan trails......and with a bad back and neck it can be fun backing up.

It's my second full size Chevy........sold my '99 in 2017. Silverado's is the only truck my dad has ever owned. I don't buy trucks because of the gas mileage, so who cares about that. I use them and abuse them and generally they have the best look......sans the 2019 Grille.

Tent (fly isn't installed) is a ProZ (made by Napier) from AutoAnything. Bought it on sale for $139 down from $189. Super easy to setup. Basically set it up on the ground and plop her in the bed. Secure it and viola. Only thing I don't like is the 2 (or 3) clips that go around the tail gate to hold the back down. You have to weave it through the small crack between the tailgate and bed so I generally don't do those. Blow up air mattress and a sleeping bag and I am good to go.

Photo Apr 25, 12 25 35 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

Great thread. Im a year out from a truck, but I have my 15 JKUR that I use as my toy right now. Im deciding between the Silverado TrailBoss (since it already has a 2" over stock stance) and the Jeep Gladiator. Im leaning gladiator for the simple fact of non-IFS and its a bit smaller which fits what I want to do. I had an 00 Silverado Z71 back in the day and LOVED that thing, often thought of taking it out but never did.

Definitely going to follow this thread!!!

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Finding this thread a wee bit late, after doing a little search on Chevy's as overland rigs, what a treat to be brought back to my favorite community. It's been an odd transition to go from full-time travel out of a Rubicon to now driving a Silverado HD. In fact, I've had the chance to drive a few different trucks these last six months and have fallen in LOVE with this Chevy. It has the same "drive-feel" (if that makes sense) as my old Rubicon (4-door). Albeit, a bit of a boat! Frankly, it's a beast and inspiration for my next rig-build, so coming across this thread has been a breath of fresh air. I've never been the "cool kid" and my family grew up with Chevy's - never ONCE did it break down, nor did we ever get stuck in a Central New York blizzard (we saw many!)

Thank you all who contributed their thoughts! Read every one and feeling confident this devoted Jeep girl is going to be stoked on the space and capabilities of her future truck camper adventure home! Jenn & Monty
I missed the reason for the switch. I've seen your Rubicon setup when you adventure with Chris (Venture 4wd) and it seemed pretty dialed. Are you going to do a rear seat delete on the Silverado and make a platform for Monty? :)

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

New member here and I’m all in with my 2013 Silverado 4x. Retired 3 years ago and she is my on going project. It’s a great truck for Overlanding, Hunting, Fishing, all the things I love to do. Added the shell and did the interior myself, sleep down the middle. Did a Thule Storage Box on top along with Yakima Rack. Also added the ARB Awning. Up front I have the Light Bar with 3 ProComp Lights. Lastly I upgraded the tires to Falken 275R70-18’s and so far really like them. I don’t see many full size rigs out there but hope to see more soon!