Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I am deffo getting a trailer in a few years time if me and my GF stick it out for so long together :P
I always wanted to go RTT but she loves the little more luxery a tent trailer gives. And in Europe there isn't much need for a real 4x4 trailer so a normal tent trailer will do.
Biggest plus is more comfort but having your camp stay put while you can do day trips is a big bonus as well.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

View attachment 8018View attachment 8020 View attachment 8019View attachment 8021 I'm a big fan of having an off-road trailer. Mine is a 1992 M101 CDN of picked up locally about 7 years ago.
Can you access the cargo from the side or rear without lifting the top? I can't tell based on the photos...
Not on my trailer. Some have modified theirs with a drop down tailgate or telescoping tent racks that allow access under the tent, but I haven't found a need. I can still acces gear in the trailer even when the tent is deployed. I just made sure the RTT is mounted with its hinge on the same side as the piano hinge for the mounting rack.
IMG_1627.JPG

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Trailers are good i love mine it makes it so easy setting up somewhere for a few days there's nothing better then being able to set up unhook and head off knowing when you get back everything is setup ready to go the only thing I don't like about it is if your just doing an overnight camp or your moving every couple of days putting it up and down can become a pain

20160925_091703.jpg 20160923_154259.jpg 13508983_10209979193815191_5446795677098804654_n.jpg 20160730_133039.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@Expedition_Offroad I'm seriously shopping for a trailer very similar to yours but hesitating for the very reason you mention. One of the big reasons for a trailer like this is to have everything ready to leave on a moment's notice. But my trips are typically not base camp style, more one night in one location and on to the next.
How long would you guess it takes you to set up and strike your tent each time?
Kind of a decision point for me right now. This type of trailer may be the only way I'm getting my wife and daughter out camping on back road tracks. RTT is a non-starter.

Reactions: Dunco

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
@Expedition_Offroad I'm seriously shopping for a trailer very similar to yours but hesitating for the very reason you mention. One of the big reasons for a trailer like this is to have everything ready to leave on a moment's notice. But my trips are typically not base camp style, more one night in one location and on to the next.
How long would you guess it takes you to set up and strike your tent each time?
Kind of a decision point for me right now. This type of trailer may be the only way I'm getting my wife and daughter out camping on back road tracks. RTT is a non-starter.
Hey mate to get the main cabin part up it takes about 10 min the full thing with front awning it takes about 15- 20min so its really not that bad i was in a similar situation once we had our son the wife wasn't keen to swag it anymore and wanted something a bit more comfortable and this setup worked

I have to admit it is good to be able to just hook up and go knowing everything you need is in there ready to go

Reactions: VCeXpedition

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@Expedition_Offroad thanks for the info. Exactly. Doesn't sound too bad. Compared to my current gig, which suits only me, takes about 3 minutes. Adding that level of comfort and portability is a trade-off. If I do stay more than one night in one location, I have to put everything away and carry everything with me.
With a trailer, I could do trail runs much lighter without all the kit.
Yeah, for me finding this balance makes sense.
Have I rationalized enough yet? Now just to convince the CFO!

DaveL

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lowrance
Member #

@fj80toyman Have you looked into a Four Wheel PopUp Camper?
I've got mine on an 2004 F150, but Tacomas are a really popular platform. So far I've been able to do most trails I've wanted to do (and some my wife wasn't too happy about!). We went simple with a shell model and did some additions and mods. We didn't get the interior kitchen - just setup the kitchen outside under the canopy just like when we were tent camping, but we can bring the stove in if we have to.
Pros:
- no towing (I hate towing!)
- if I get stuck someplace & have to wait for help, I've got everything with me (safety!)
- a real bed with sheets
- a built in propane heater
- I keep it packed so a quick last-minute trip is easy (and I leave it on 24/7)
- setup and breakdown is fast
- comfortable
- great for winter camping; now we overland year-round
Cons:
- you have to break camp every time you go out (there's the compromise over a trailer, but worth it for us)

Take a look at my IG to see our rig what we've done (it's open)

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@dave I have, in fact truth be told, I've been coveting a 4wheel popup since about 1990.
You list all the good Pro's that check the boxes for me, additionally it would be a good way to get my wife and daughter out and in comfort.
One thing that really keeps me from jumping in is, I really like my '80 series as an overlanding platform. Tacoma's are very capable but adding a camper, even as good a one as a 4WP creates issues that I'm not ready to change for yet. I just don't think I would feel good about going some of the places I've been with that setup.
I'd love to check yours out, I think you're in So. Cal? Maybe at a meet&greet somewhere.

Dan

Reactions: DaveL

DaveL

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lowrance
Member #

@fj80toyman I'd be more than happy to show you my FWC. I live in Orange County & work at the Orange Crush (57/5/22 Fwys). I'm sure you can do some places I wouldn't be comfortable with, but I've been surprised how much I can do. For me the issue is more the full size truck more than the camper. I don't have a lot of experience at this (got the truck/camper Jan '15) but we've been having a great time exploring in a capable rig (and I've learned a couple of lessons almost the hard way!). If we do the Mojave Trail (I hope!!) you can see it in action :-)

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Al_Maryland

Rank 0

Contributor II

I used a 25 year old pop up tent trailer for a number of years as a base camp during hunting season. I dragged it up and down some of the toughest terrain without a hiccup. Keep in mind I wasn't doing any rock climbing with it though. I purchased it for $300, so I wasn't too careful with it. But I agree with Maktruk, that you would be surprised where those things can be towed!

Reactions: SeguineJ

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Trailers are good i love mine it makes it so easy setting up somewhere for a few days there's nothing better then being able to set up unhook and head off knowing when you get back everything is setup ready to go the only thing I don't like about it is if your just doing an overnight camp or your moving every couple of days putting it up and down can become a pain

View attachment 8097 View attachment 8096 View attachment 8098 View attachment 8100
Yes it can be a PITA seting everything up for just one evening, then packing it all in the the next morning. We carry two tents to solve that PITA. The big tent for base camp/multiple night stays, or our 2 man ultralite backpackng tent for those one night stays.

redman333

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Have you thought about getting a hard bodied trailer that already has a queen size bed and kitchen area already setup and ready to use as soon as you get to where you're going. This would eliminate the setup time since you just open the doors and the bed is ready and the kitchen is ready. These would also let you keep everything loaded in the trailer and ready at a moments notice.

I say this because I went through a similar search awhile back needing something that was more comfortable for more people that aren't as into the extreme camping as I am. I also wanted something that could move easily if I needed it to as well as be a good base camp if I wanted to go explore without the trailer and come back to it all setup. So I've started looking at the off-road teardrops and I think that's the route I'll go with a wrap around awning that can be enclosed if I want even more comfort or leave the awning packed if I want a quick setup and take down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

Not sure if you are still looking but I have an off road trailer for sale. I'm in North Alabama. It's a 2005 Fleetwood E1 Off Road in excellent shape. I built another rig and am selling this one for $4000. See picture. Anyone interested call me 931-627-5462. RALPH

Reactions: 9Mike2 and vtrover

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Not sure if you are still looking but I have an off road trailer for sale. I'm in North Alabama. It's a 2005 Fleetwood E1 Off Road in excellent shape. I built another rig and am selling this one for $4000. See picture. Anyone interested call me 931-627-5462. RALPH
that is a great deal......

Reactions: rgk401

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

I have been thinking about building a trailer since we started camping with the Tepui rtt. I like the idea of dropping the trailer and exploring. I dont like the $6800 price range.

Reactions: asanto