Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prairie Grove, AR, USA
First Name
LARRY
Last Name
JACKSON
Member #

I have attached a few pics of my current rig with the RTT and the awning. I'm thinking about going with a trailer simply because it's a PITA for me to crawl all over the rig and set up and pack it up and once it's set up I can't leave in a hurry if I had an emergency or something like that. BUT at the same time I like the fact that my rig is 100% self contained.

Your thoughts?

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Do it. You'll never go back. Well, you might go too big and downsize like I'm looking to do...

Reactions: 9Mike2

stainlessdoctor

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prairie Grove, AR, USA
First Name
LARRY
Last Name
JACKSON
Member #

I'm for sure not looking for a pop up camper! I don't Camp in campgrounds, I camp in the middle of nowhere and that would never make it. I'm talking about an offroad trailer with my RTT on top of it.

Reactions: Marine7

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

You'd be surprised where that thing can go. Look up Belfort, CA...but as I said, I'm downsizing as well.

The only trails I've had a hard time getting through are multiple switchbacks with trees but a hi-lift and perseverance have soldiered me through.

Reactions: notarealtruck

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
There are so many options to do that now, it's tough to decide which is best. For me, even a regular trailer with a RTT wouldn't work because I couldn't convince my wife and special needs daughter to go because it's too tough to climb up and down for potty trips.
I'm liking the Kakadu trailer base camp model, much lower to the ground but still towable to most out-of-the-way places.
But back to your question, for some of the same reasons, I like a trailer. I want to be able to leave my set up and go explore, then come back to an established camp. Not have to strike/pitch every time I want to move.
And, I can leave it at home, loaded up and ready to go, whereas I wouldn't want to haul my RTT everywhere.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Buy my trailer! I say trailer all the way for the reasons you mentioned. If I want to camp without my trailer I have an alternate setup.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

LOL.... yep. That's my first stop once I win the lottery, lol.

Or maybe when I retire and sell all my worldly possessions (and THEN take out a loan as well!) I will buy that and travel the world, lol.

Reactions: boss324

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

That thing weighs more than mine, btw.

Probably won't twist itself to pieces like mine does either...

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

Here is picture of my rig, the wife hates towing, but when we get there she likes the comfort. I find that I have to take it slower on the trails, but I get there. Best of all once I set up ( which isn't long) I can base out of camp and my rig is lighter for some of the fun trails. It really comes down to personal or wife choice. I like the ability to sustain for longer durations with the trailer. I designed mine, already had the trailer, changed out axels with elec brakes, 28 gal water tank, propane tank, dual batteries along with solar panels, RTT, Bat wing awning, we have side walls for rain or cold weather. ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1474488966.752007.jpgImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1474488990.116722.jpgImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1474489027.312352.jpg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Here is picture of my rig, the wife hates towing, but when we get there she likes the comfort. I find that I have to take it slower on the trails, but I get there. Best of all once I set up ( which isn't long) I can base out of camp and my rig is lighter for some of the fun trails. It really comes down to personal or wife choice. I like the ability to sustain for longer durations with the trailer. I designed mine, already had the trailer, changed out axels with elec brakes, 28 gal water tank, propane tank, dual batteries along with solar panels, RTT, Bat wing awning, we have side walls for rain or cold weather.

That's a nice set up. If the OP is handy at all he can always look into modifying one.
Ours went from this modest little 4x6 ( total cost with all the doo dads, including H20 tanks, pump, and Yeti 75, 3,320 For not too much more a good welder could fabricate a stand for an RTT, but I like my COG as low as possible for many reasons )

imgres.jpg
To this :

Reactions: rmerron

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

That's a good looking rig. Mine was built for a year long trip, just have not been able to leave yet. So I needed more storage for clothes and stuff. CG is lower than you think. This is a steel trailer with a 28gal H2O tank and dual batteries, etc. but I do have to be mindful in off camber situations. I'm sure I'll have to jack it upright one of these days.[emoji3]

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That's a good looking rig. Mine was built for a year long trip, just have not been able to leave yet. So I needed more storage for clothes and stuff. CG is lower than you think. This is a steel trailer with a 28gal H2O tank and dual batteries, etc. but I do have to be mindful in off camber situations. I'm sure I'll have to jack it upright one of these days.[emoji3]
Wow, year long trip !! We've been going for 5 to 6 week out, around and backs to the west. Next up, Moab (again) through Olympic NP via Death Valley, Cali & Oregon coasts. Anyone interested in getting set up for long distance trips with two people or more, I highly recommend a trailer. Nothing worse than an over loaded and very cramped rig.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I'm a big fan of having an off-road trailer for all the reasons you mentioned in the original post. Also, having a TJ with limited cargo capacity was a big consideration as well. Mine is a 1992 M101 CDN of picked up locally about 7 years ago.
Can you access the cargo from the side or rear without lifting the top? I can't tell based on the photos...

Reactions: vegasjeepguy