Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I would like an RTT, but I just bought a Kodiak 6133 Cabin Tent last year and can't justify the cost of an RTT, right now. Most of my camping is multi-day in the same spot on a river somewhere, but it would be cool for trips where I only spend one night in a place before moving on. The Kodiak is phenomenal, but takes an hour to set up by myself and that's one very tough hour!

Reactions: LostInSocal

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

What I would love to see is a setup which allows you to keep the platform on the rig but the tent / tent frame / mattress can be removed. Or perhaps a more modular setup that allows the whole thing to be taken down piece by piece. I can see some disadvantages to a modular system. In the end, I don't mind keeping the RTT on for long periods of time but if I were not planning to use it for a stretch, then at least I'm able to disassemble and store it. "Make it so!"

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Since my original post we have mounted our RTT on a trailer I built. We just got back from Moab last weekend. Spent 9 nights in the tent and my wife and I didn't want to come home.

We leave our blankets and pillows al set up and all we have to do is pull in, unzip the cover, pop the thing open and go to bed.

I had it mounted to the roof of my daily driver. I have to say the sun did a little damage over the three years it was there.

Sealawyer88

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Monroe County, Florida, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Everything has its compromises. Packing up a RTT takes about 15 minutes without the annex attached. It kind of sucks but really not that bad. For real wheeling trips I still prefer its comfort and storm worthiness over a ground tent. If I know I'm going to have a base camp somewhere like Moab I take the pop-up camper. If you had a small cargo trailer with a RTT on top all the same. I may just build one and get rid of the pop-up some day.

For those with dogs they can sleep in the annex if need be. My Malamute prefers to simply be tied to the bumper. If the weather gets rough, and it has, he just crawls under the truck. I've found him bone dry after all night high wind thunderstorms. Our little dog we can just throw up in the tent or can sleep in the truck.

I'm a Tepui Dealer by the way if anyone has any specific questions. Feel free to PM me. Someone asked earlier about winter/snow use. I have not experienced that yet personally. But Tepui does make a winter cover with a heat reflective liner (think space blanket) for just that. It also creates a better air pocket all around the tent for more heat retention.
Interestingly enough im wondering about this liner from first hand experiences.. anyone bought this liner and have reviews on it?

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I fought the battle of “ To RTT or not”. Let’s just say that I hope UPS freight, will be delivering my RTT tomorrow! Here is a little insight as to my thoughts on my purchase. First, I do need to say this is from talking with friends that have one, not from my personal use. I have their feedback with my thoughts added to share. It really will be nice to use all the space in my 4Runner for my dog, equipment, and supplies. Nice to be able to keep pillows, sleeping bag and small personal items in the tent all the time without having to pack and unpack those items after each trip. Having your tent off the ground, does help keep the inside of the tent cleaner. And not to have the pine needles, dirt, mud and water on the tarp that was under your ground tent and have to deal with that mess or storage of said tarp after use. To have the same comfort as my camper, but in a package that fits down the tight trails better. People claim the RTT is cooler in the Summer, and seems warmer in the Winter. One complaint I hear with my solution is this: As an older Male, I need to take a leak sometime in the night. That is what a hospital type urinal bottle is for! I also will keep my ground tents for those times that it just will work better. Will see what I use the most this last part of this year! Hope this information and my thoughts help someone thinking on an RTT for their use. Vance.

Reactions: Wallygator

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I fought the battle of “ To RTT or not”. Let’s just say that I hope UPS freight, will be delivering my RTT tomorrow!

With the places we often go, too, it's also far easier and faster to level up one side of a vehicle--in my case just one wheel on my trailer--than it is to find a suitable flat piece of ground large enough for a ground tent.

AND, the tent is already in place, you don't have to dig it out from anywhere or take it out of a bag to get set up.

Whether I'm hooked up to my trailer or not, it's four easy latches to undo, give it a shove, and its up and ready to use. I keep a three inch mattress, sleeping bag, jungle blankets and pillow all ready to use in there, as well as a book or two and light. Great thing to keep in your RTT is a TV tray or cookie sheet. Something with a shallow side. Then you'll have a flat place to set a drink, keep a flashlight handy and from rolling away, pocket stuff, etc. Even in the darkest of dark I know where to reach and find what I need.

A good pee jug can be easily made from a liquid soap container. Just cut out the pouring spout and you have a nice, convenient jug that eals up good and tight.

I've seen a bunch of folks say "I'm too old to be climbing up and down a ladder." I'm in my late sixties and do it several times a day. It actually helps keep me more fit and limber than I would be otherwise.

In the first image below it was more about avoiding cow patties than finding level ground, though there was a slight side-to-side slope there. I leveled up the low side with my Traction Jack in a jiffy.
In the second image it was more about being side-to-side level and avoiding rocks and cacti. It would have taken a good bit of time to clean and level a spot large enough for even my smaller ground tent.

In both cases having a rooftop tent allowed me to sleep free of worry from animals. Cows can do a number on guy lines for a ground tent. Javelinas, bear, raccoon and rattlesnakes have all been known to find their way into a ground tent.

Mostly though, it's just a far more comfortable, easy, and efficient way for me to set up sleeping quarters whether I'm on the move every day or basecamping for longer periods.

Good luck with yours, Vance, I hope it's all you want it to be!

Road

xv2-n-van-1907114-800.jpg
Vermont Farm

santana_1841-1000.jpg
West Texas Borderlands

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I've been strongly considering a RTT, but after some re-thinking I decided to stay with a ground tent because of the kids. With a ground tent we could be closer together with standing room. Not sure everyone in our family would like the idea of getting up/down the ladder. Plus for safety reasons I would also feel safer closer to the ground because of my 6 year old.

Maybe when the kids get older, they could stay in their own ground tent, then I could consider a RTT for just me and my wife. We'll see...

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Question for the RTT owners, well those with the RTT mounted on their daily driver. I've looked around and read a bit in the various forums, and it seems like everyone pretty much keeps their RTT on the vehicle full time. Is that the case with most of the owners here?

I'm definitely up for getting one but not being able to quickly get the RTT off the rig is sort of a deal breaker at this point. There are so many pluses, in my opinion, to using a RTT.
I recently devised a way to get the RTT on and off my rack BY MYSELF and do it fairly quickly. I'm putting it on in the next few days and will take some pics...

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

With the places we often go, too, it's also far easier and faster to level up one side of a vehicle--in my case just one wheel on my trailer--than it is to find a suitable flat piece of ground large enough for a ground tent.

AND, the tent is already in place, you don't have to dig it out from anywhere or take it out of a bag to get set up.

Whether I'm hooked up to my trailer or not, it's four easy latches to undo, give it a shove, and its up and ready to use. I keep a three inch mattress, sleeping bag, jungle blankets and pillow all ready to use in there, as well as a book or two and light. Great thing to keep in your RTT is a TV tray or cookie sheet. Something with a shallow side. Then you'll have a flat place to set a drink, keep a flashlight handy and from rolling away, pocket stuff, etc. Even in the darkest of dark I know where to reach and find what I need.

A good pee jug can be easily made from a liquid soap container. Just cut out the pouring spout and you have a nice, convenient jug that eals up good and tight.

I've seen a bunch of folks say "I'm too old to be climbing up and down a ladder." I'm in my late sixties and do it several times a day. It actually helps keep me more fit and limber than I would be otherwise.

In the first image below it was more about avoiding cow patties than finding level ground, though there was a slight side-to-side slope there. I leveled up the low side with my Traction Jack in a jiffy.
In the second image it was more about being side-to-side level and avoiding rocks and cacti. It would have taken a good bit of time to clean and level a spot large enough for even my smaller ground tent.

In both cases having a rooftop tent allowed me to sleep free of worry from animals. Cows can do a number on guy lines for a ground tent. Javelinas, bear, raccoon and rattlesnakes have all been known to find their way into a ground tent.

Mostly though, it's just a far more comfortable, easy, and efficient way for me to set up sleeping quarters whether I'm on the move every day or basecamping for longer periods.

Good luck with yours, Vance, I hope it's all you want it to be!

Road

View attachment 109027
Vermont Farm

View attachment 109028
West Texas Borderlands
Road,
You have a nice setup there! I like the idea of the the tray and soap jug , too! I have 4 ground tents, Two are Four season mountaineering tents, Two are Three season, with one large enough to have my cot in and stand up in. Time to thing the herd! Vance.

Reactions: Road

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I recently devised a way to get the RTT on and off my rack BY MYSELF and do it fairly quickly. I'm putting it on in the next few days and will take some pics...
DividedSky,
I have considered the possibility of leaving the RTT on my vehicle this Winter, as I do not have a garage for storage. Maybe a trip South with the “snow birds” this Winter? I would like to see what you come up with for easy RTT removal. Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I've been strongly considering a RTT, but after some re-thinking I decided to stay with a ground tent because of the kids. With a ground tent we could be closer together with standing room. Not sure everyone in our family would like the idea of getting up/down the ladder. Plus for safety reasons I would also feel safer closer to the ground because of my 6 year old.

Maybe when the kids get older, they could stay in their own ground tent, then I could consider a RTT for just me and my wife. We'll see...
Keeping the family safe and happy is important. My guess, most are using a ground tent for the same reasons as you. The RTT is an experiment for me. I said I would not buy one, why when I have great ground tents? My old bones are saying give it a try! Vance.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Interestingly enough im wondering about this liner from first hand experiences.. anyone bought this liner and have reviews on it?
I never used the winter cover and have since closed up shop on my OffRoad business. Tepui has since began to offer an interior insulating liner. My initial thought is that it would create a lot of condensation but have no experience.

Since closing up shop I’ve sold my Tepui and picked up a larger Eezi-Awn.