Who's stock, and not planning to gear up?

• HTML tutorial

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Trying to debate how much money/work to put into the Subaru. I know i'll be buying a an F250/350 Diesel in another year or two for towing duty on the Boat purchase after that. On one hand i'd rather have that vehicle more capable off the bat then the Subaru will be, since the Subaru will also still play the Daily driver role. But its nice to have an overland rig that can get 20+ mpg at the same time.
I'll most likely suck it up and put the lift kit on since i will be in need of new shocks soon anyway so the extra labor won't be much more. and BFG K02's. But then i need to figure out a full size spare option...... it seems to be never ending. LOL.

Reactions: DesertWalker

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

I am in the camp that if its not broken, don't fix it. Usually everything that comes equipped OEM from any new generation rig (that is relatively leaning towards off-road) has components that will do just fine in the long run.

Past that long run point, things wear out - shocks, tires etc. If somethings broke, and you are replacing it anyway, this is the time to mildly upgrade, if your priorities are still the same.

My 91' was beat down when I picked her up, shot tires (also too big, up(down)graded to 30's), two of the four shocks were hosed (replaced bilsteins off of bay, 340 shipped), stuff that would improve upon the truck in the long run. Older vehicles are going to have more of these issues, and one must choose wisely their platform vs. capitol vs. wants vs. needs when embarking.

Stock height vehicles can get 90% of the places the big boys go, its all in the drivers, spotters... and maybe lockers.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

But I was told that I could perform upgrades at a reasonable volume. :D

But seriously.. I agree that if you can get by with stock items that is generally good advice. Stock (air) suspension on and LR4 is plenty. Tire sizes are pretty restricted to around 32" without a lot of work. A little armor and she is good to go.

But it is fun. I know a lot of folks have more time to tinker and upgrade rigs (and have the disposable income) than they do the free time to be out exploring. I am trying to arrange longer and more frequent 'overland' type trips every year, but that is more of a challenge than affording toys right now.

Outfit* and Explore**
* As necessary to increase safety, durability and needed capability.
** As often as possible given constraints. Void where prohibited.

ChuckB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arden, Buncombe County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Becker
Member #

I'm stock still (5 years), with the exception of upgraded tires and "step sliders" to help the kids get in/out. I do have Auto Height Control (AHC) and can gain 2"+ lift with the push of a button. I need less work and more time to start pushing the limits of the stock setup!

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I am in the camp that if its not broken, don't fix it. Usually everything that comes equipped OEM from any new generation rig (that is relatively leaning towards off-road) has components that will do just fine in the long run.

Past that long run point, things wear out - shocks, tires etc. If somethings broke, and you are replacing it anyway, this is the time to mildly upgrade, if your priorities are still the same.

My 91' was beat down when I picked her up, shot tires (also too big, up(down)graded to 30's), two of the four shocks were hosed (replaced bilsteins off of bay, 340 shipped), stuff that would improve upon the truck in the long run. Older vehicles are going to have more of these issues, and one must choose wisely their platform vs. capitol vs. wants vs. needs when embarking.

Stock height vehicles can get 90% of the places the big boys go, its all in the drivers, spotters... and maybe lockers.
This is part of how I legitimized my front suspension upgrade last April. I was at 75K miles, so, things were a bit worn out anyway. My upgrade was going to require new upper and lower control arms as well as inner and outer tie rods. But, now at 78K miles my entire suspension and steering is only 3K miles old.

Reactions: alaskan.lad

HankinWI

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Crosse, La Crosse County, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
Hank
Last Name
Brinlee
Member #

Exactly! My JK is my DD and I like that arrangement. I plan on leaving the drivetrain pretty much as is from the factory, just add a 1" leveling kit to remove the factory rake and 1" more tire when the factory shoes wear out. Done! My other hard-earned pennies will go to storage solutions and safety/recovery gear, and that's a whole bunch of pennies just right there...

Last edited:

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Other than a bluetooth capable mp3 headunit and my 3 (yes 3!) OB badges on my car, my little suv is as stock as it gets, I can't upgrade as there are no upgradeable items for my pile of awesomeness! ;)

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Bigger tires were actually a must for my Trooper. They really dumb it down for import into the US. lol. Stock height was less than that of an outback, it seemed. I think I am running just under a 31.
Isn't that the truth. They did the same thing back in the 90s with the 80 series. Small tires, soft cushy ride, lots of bling.

BenfieldWines

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Swanton, OH
Member #

I tried keeping it stock, I tried so hard, but I finally broke down and added a mod.
IMG_20170812_165256139.jpg

My wife says it doesn't match though.

Seriously though, I had all kinds of plans for the Rubicon. Then we got it and I realized I probably wouldn't need all the stuff I thought we would. It seems very capable as is! So I've rerouted my efforts into looking at tents and lights. The first mod will be to get steps, for the almighty short one.

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

Believe it or not, Oliver the Land Rover is pretty much completely stock, not bad for something from 1962. The only modification was to remove the propane system (done long before I got it). The upgrades that should happen are to the electrics It still has the 30 amp generator. That means that out of three things, headlights, defroster, and windshield wipers I can only run two at the same time. So, fitting a modern alternator is a very common upgrade along with adding a fuse block for accessories as the car only has two fuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: DesertWalker

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Believe it or not, Oliver the Land Rover is pretty much completely stock, not bad for something from 1962. The only modification was to remove the propane system (done long before I got it). The upgrades that should happen are to the electrics It still has the 30 amp generator. That meas that our of three things, headlights, defroster, and windshield wipers I can only run two at the same time. So, fitting a modern alternator is a very common upgrade along with adding a fuse block for accessories as the car only has two fuses.
2 fuses..... omg.

Here is a 2013 Land Rover LR4 main engine fuse panel... NOT shown is the secondary fuse panel in the passenger footwell, that has probably a dozen more at least.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
It depends on what and where your going to use your vehicle for. My F250 is stock, but it's a beast the way it is. I use it to pull the travel trailer and once in a great while take it out to explore. My Jeep JK Rubicon has 3" lift, Fox 2.0 shocks, aftermarket bumpers front and rear, and a winch. It was capable stock, but far more with mods. I do leave the power train stock for reliability reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

bassfishindoc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Middle TN
Member #

I had a 2014 Tacoma TRD Offroad that was bone stock. It was quite capable in its stock form. I did many trails with it in stock form. I primarily didn't modify it because I was still paying for it and couldn't afford anything. Well, that vehicle was totaled in April. Insurance paid out quite well as it was still quite new. Rather than buy a new vehicle, I bought a stock 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Currently it is still stock. However, it only cost me $2500 which leaves quite a bit more from the insurance payout for upgrades. This one won't be stock for long. Plus, it's not too much more expensive to replace the worn out stock component (suspension, interior, etc.) with upgraded, aftermarket stuff. OEM crap is EXPENSIVE!

4WDCanoe

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Waterdown, Ontario
Member #

I too originally (before the new rig purchase) bought into the hype of fully gearing up to, what I see now as, a really over-the-top level.

Going to add a few goodies here and there for organization. But the prime investment focus will be on th non-vehicle-attached gear. Recovery gear, VERY upgraded first aid and trauma kits, proper trainings, navigation aids, communication gear (ie ham license, and maybe an in-reach), and working to decide between a fridge and a high end cooler... Stuff like that.

So, for the immediate future, stock suspension, but switching tires to stock size General Grabber AT2s. (seriously my trd off-road 4runner came with dueler H/Ts from the dealership.... Who puts highways on a labelled off-road vehicle......) And a no-drill full length moonroof comparable Roof rack.

Explore more

PNWExplore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bend Oregon
Member #

My 02 Tacoma is currently stock. Only things added were airbags by the previous owner and some 3rd gen 16s. I just put some new wrangler duratracs on it.

I do not plan to do any engine mods as I want to keep it as reliable as I can, I also do not think it will see a lift either. If anything I may seek a better ride with some springs and shocks, but not until next year.

The only things I really want to add sooner rather than later is a front and rear bumper to protect against the idiots around here that are terrible at driving.

JLangsdorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

I lucked out, after months of looking, and in July found a low miles 2012 Tacoma Access Cab TRD that already had a lift, larger tires, front and rear aftermarket bumpers and a winch. From there I am working to set up an overlanding rig. I have rock sliders on order from Relentless Fabrication in nearby Sparks, NV. Waiting for Decked to release their Tacoma bed system. Have picked out bed rack and RTT to be purchaseds as cash flow allows.