Who's stock, and not planning to gear up?

• HTML tutorial

Millsy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Red Deer, Alberta
Member #

So just a random thought. I think it's really common to see all the upgraded rigs, videos and whatnot. It's easy to fall in love with the idea of getting something built up to be able to climb a cliff.

I admit that I'm planning upgrades on my FJ Cruiser. Just a matter of time/money.

But the thing is, I've had mine for 2.5 years. 'Tank' is bone stock mechanically. I added a light bar and a tent, that both can be removed in about 5 minutes. No drilling or welding.

So far it is incredibly rare that I run across a trail I can't do. Usually, if I turn around, it's due to the fact I'm on my own and don't want to risk getting stuck outside of cell coverage. 99% of logging trails are childsplay. 95% of them are even accessible by a 2wd car in good weather.

So are there any here who have decided not to upgrade at all?

Reactions: HankinWI

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I wouldn't say not upgraded at all, but, I'm only about 3" taller in height and one size larger on tires. I spent money on increasing my wheel travel and not on height. It just so happened I was 3" taller. Aside from SPC upper control arms, my entire front suspension is OEM style parts, but, I doubled my wheel travel from OEM and if I break on the trail or in the middle of nowhere, I can replace any part with a part from the parts store.

Reactions: Scout and TerryD

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

My shocks went so when I got new shocks I also got springs and added an inch and a half over stock height. But that's pretty much it.

Reactions: Scout and TerryD

Millsy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Red Deer, Alberta
Member #

My shocks went so when I got new shocks I also got springs and added an inch and a half over stock height. But that's pretty much it.
Even when I do start upgrading, I'm not looking to lift much. I've got 5100's, and will lift the front up 2.5", but I expect that will drop back down once I put a bumper on. I also never plan on upsizing my tires. The stock size gets decent mileage, and I've only run into two locations where larger tires would have done me any good. Both of those situations armor would have gotten me through as well.

Reactions: MrDanielGerber

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

I run a 1.75" OME lift with 1" spacers and +1 on my tires. My tires brought the speedometer into spec. Now she reads true mph. No plan at all on re-gearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I'm not 100% stock, but pretty close. I've yet to encounter a trail that I can't go down. We've been on trails of all levels and out on runs with some of the "rock crawler" clubs in the area, sure we may take a bypass here and there when things get super rough, but still manage to do just fine. As much as I've wanted to get a lift and get some fancy bumpers and big huge tires from time to time, I've stuck to my philosophy of only making a change when truly needed. So far we've only made a few relatively bland changes. We added a roof rack since week long trips in a JKU with a family of 4 (5 soon) requires more storage options. I swapped out to beefier diff covers since i dinged the paper thin stock ones and sprung a leak. and we added a 12gal reserve fuel tank, mostly because we got a smokin' deal on it and we know we'll likely need it for a few trips we wanna do in the next year. Still rolling on stock suspension and stock 32" tires.

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
My S10 is stock, completely. Still has the dealer-installed running boards. Granted, I've scratched them, but they're still there!
It's also about at the end of it's life so it's not worth doing anything to unless I wanted to turn it into a money pit and start from scratch. It's also proven quite capable of doing what I've asked it to do.

The 4Runner will be a different story. I'm still waiting to take delivery on it (another car has to get fixed, and then traded, and transferred, etc). It's a 2nd Gen, and I know it already has a small amount of stuff done, but I'll have to go through it.

T

The Raven

I ran my jeep stock until I blew my shocks at 100k Replaced with OE height OME suspension and ran until I sold it. Never saw the need to run bigger tires or other junk.

Reactions: somerset-andy

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Bigger tires were actually a must for my Trooper. They really dumb it down for import into the US. lol. Stock height was less than that of an outback, it seemed. I think I am running just under a 31.

Faolchu

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

New York
Member #

I'm 100% stock right now, I am looking to upgrade my tires to something a little more functional in the near future. This is my daily driver and it needs to be somewhat clean looking for the nature of my job. I am looking to get a get something that will be specifically used for "overlanding" in the future, but funds are tight right now so I work with what I got.

Matt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Gatos
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Meadors
Member #

I'm stock other than larger tires and a roof rack. My vehicle does come equipped with front and rear lockers though.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

If I had a short bed I would have left it closer to stock, upgrade of shocks and better tires in OE size, BUT, since it is a long bed I found my breakover angle, well it sucked.LOL. So up 2 inches and 1 step up in tire size and it fixed that problem.
I will probably go wider and taller on tires at some point for no other reason than I like the way it will look. The way it sits now it gets the job done.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I ran my suburban stock for 12 years before lifting 2.5" front 2" in the rear to be a little more off road Worthy when needing to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

'16 Tundra..As it sits now, I went from 255's to 275's.. Front tires rub on tight turns so I'm considering 1 of the following.. 4 New Bilsteins, a 3/1 level kit or 2" front spacers..I'm thinking the shocks just for ease {in the pocket book} of having them for future upgrades.. I'd like to add a Decked bed drawer system and something similar to a CanBak bed "camper cover"..Maybe some fender flares, new diff covers and step.nerf bars..Oh.. I'd LOVE a set of Iron Cross bumpers..And besides.. The Tundra is keeping me "occupied" until I find the time to get the Scout finished..

Last edited:

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Just bought the Ram a few months ago, so it's stock for now and will remain pretty close. I'm not going to lift it or mess with suspension because it'll need to do several long Interstate trips in the next few years due to an aging family member.

Plus, I like being an Undercover Overlander.....

Reactions: TFlo

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Rovers stock---for now...muhahahahahaha

I have no issue with running stock, BUT I do like to find myself adventuring into what I KNOW is a bit too rough on stock anything....therefore I always upgrade my rigs. I feel its really up to the discretion of the adventurer...if you KNOW you're bound to hit those extra rough, rocky trails, upgrade that badboy. On the contrary, if deep down you KNOW you'll be doing light-moderate trails and majority road travel, why waste the money on super beefy lifts and suspension? Rather, toss some cool looking wheels and new tires, leave her stock, and upgrade interior components for more comfort! :) just my opinion, to each their own though, at the end of the day!!! (JUST PLEASE DONT RUN A 13" LIFT WITH 33" A/Ts Lol) saw that the other day and ermergherd...someone dropped that boy on his head...Lol

Reactions: Xcountry

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Rovers stock---for now...muhahahahahaha

I have no issue with running stock, BUT I do like to find myself adventuring into what I KNOW is a bit too rough on stock anything....therefore I always upgrade my rigs. I feel its really up to the discretion of the adventurer...if you KNOW you're bound to hit those extra rough, rocky trails, upgrade that badboy. On the contrary, if deep down you KNOW you'll be doing light-moderate trails and majority road travel, why waste the money on super beefy lifts and suspension? Rather, toss some cool looking wheels and new tires, leave her stock, and upgrade interior components for more comfort! :) just my opinion, to each their own though, at the end of the day!!! (JUST PLEASE DONT RUN A 13" LIFT WITH 33" A/Ts Lol) saw that the other day and ermergherd...someone dropped that boy on his head...Lol
Well, If you don't want to lift it or go up in tire size thats fine, but after doing my suspension I would definitely say every overland vehicle should upgrade shocks and tires. Stock shocks are junk, even if they are an "upgraded" shock.

T

The Raven

Well, If you don't want to lift it or go up in tire size thats fine, but after doing my suspension I would definitely say every overland vehicle should upgrade shocks and tires. Stock shocks are junk, even if they are an "upgraded" shock.
Not always true, My FZJ80 stock springs were not great so dropped in OME stock height, but I could not find a better for the $ value than the stock Toyota shocks. At $40 apiece they were a deal. That being said the 80 was a special deal so toyota may not have carried that QC through modern times. I had Bilsteins on my 328i and they were great but have heard a lot of bad things about them recently as they have been falling apart on the trail, puncturing some tires and not lasting as long as they should. A lot of research went into my shock selection and I'm happy with the stockers. There are a few good choices coming out of AU but big $$$$

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Not always true, My FZJ80 stock springs were not great so dropped in OME stock height, but I could not find a better for the $ value than the stock Toyota shocks. At $40 apiece they were a deal. That being said the 80 was a special deal so toyota may not have carried that QC through modern times.
I'm not going to waste my time with a lot of back and forth with you but it's ALWAYS true. I never said ANYTHING about perceived "value". I said stock shocks are junk. I doubt your land cruiser came with shocks that were better than the stock Bilstiens that came on my truck. And I gaurentee you can't buy the stock bilstiens from Toyota for 40$. And the difference between the stock bilstiens and 5100s is like comparing a blue spruce Pine to a Redwood. There is just no comparison.
Always true.

Reactions: LuxuryOverland