Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
One good, moderately challenging forest road I found off of Interstate 90 is Forest Road 9021-110 in the McClellan Butte area. Heading eastbound on I 90 take exit #38 (SE Homestead Valley Road) towards an area known as Garcia. Fairly rocky and steep but generally doable with high clearance and good traction control. You will get moderate brush pin striping. Ends where the road has been blocked by a landside with a wide turnaround loop, fire ring and potential camp spot overlooking a scenic canyon. I'm no expert but I'm going to say it's a 3-4 on a 1-10 scale.
I _think_ this is called the Snoqualmie South Fork road (at least locally/colloquially) which is more interesting than the N Fork; rode my motorcycle there years ago and it was fun but pretty crowded. The N Fork, a 1 out of 10 but is dirt, has a great shooting area near the end, some great camp spots on the river and is ~12 miles long. Not challenging but a "quick fix" if you only have a few hours. Last time we were on N Fork there were signs saying no shooting but I don't know the current status of that. A guy at work likes to go out just past Snoqualmie ski area and exit just after Keechelus lake; supposed to be good stuff to the W of I-90. Check out @RainGoat's links above - really good trailfinder resources.

Reactions: RainGoat

BigBearJoe

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bothell, Washington
Member #

Yes, I have driven to the end of both North Fork and Middle Fork Roads of the Snoqualmie. Very easy dirt roads with nothing more than annoying potholes but great if you're just looking for a long drive in the forest. I prefer things a little more challenging that require using low range and some ground clearance.

I'm already quite familiar with Trails Off-Road and the NWJeepn trail websites. They are a great resource but certainly don't show everything that's out there.

Reactions: Sarge368 and Jedi

Mattyspies3

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Seattle, WA, USA
Member #

Whats up my PNW friends! Most of my adventuring to this point has been for mountain biking/camping. Ready to add some more remote trips to the list. Looking forward to getting to know you.
2018 SR5 4runner "Blackthorn" named by my kids 5 and 3;) Slowly acquiring mods to help on the trail, but funds and kids are making that slowwwwww
Live in Seattle but get down to Bend a couple of times a year to see a buddy that moved there.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Welcome! I know the slow upgrade path - hahaha. I'd love to get out and do parts of the WABDR later in the spring/summer. Bend is one of my favorite places; tried and failed to get the wife to move there ;)

Mattyspies3

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Seattle, WA, USA
Member #

Welcome! I know the slow upgrade path - hahaha. I'd love to get out and do parts of the WABDR later in the spring/summer. Bend is one of my favorite places; tried and failed to get the wife to move there ;)
So funny I tried to get my wife to move there as well! It is getting crazy expensive down there and there are no big companies to support all those people. I coach Lacrosse through June, but am trying to figure some summer trips out. Keep me posted on your plans and maybe a newbie can tag along...

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
So funny I tried to get my wife to move there as well! It is getting crazy expensive down there and there are no big companies to support all those people. I coach Lacrosse through June, but am trying to figure some summer trips out. Keep me posted on your plans and maybe a newbie can tag along...
When I tried to get the wife to consider moving housing was in a recession and prices were more than reasonable; its getting expensive but seems on par with Seattle area now. Which is saying something considering jobs, remoteness, etc. I have a buddy there who works in tech and wanted to tap him for a job... Will keep you in mind for hitting the trails! I need to go check out the FS road closures to see if the snow is gone and if they have opened back up.

Reactions: Mattyspies3

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
South central Idaho here. 40 years ago I knew most of these roads like god back of my hand. Glad to be home again and looking forward to drier roads . Mud kills
Welcome! Would love to hear your thoughts on how the area has changed since you have been gone; have heard Boise area is booming.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Both Boise & Bend were booming & getting unreasonable 20 years ago - oh, if only I could have afforded to invest in either place then - also missed an offer when PDX was just thinking about establishing “The Pearl”. Oh well....

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

Oh yeah Boise area has gone crazy. But you can still get away in a matter of minutes. All of S Idaho has grown. What used to be sagebrush is now farms and dairies. What used to be farms are now subdivisions. That being said after driving around the country and living in 17 states over the last 7 years I’ll take Idaho over all of them

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Both Boise & Bend were booming & getting unreasonable 20 years ago - oh, if only I could have afforded to invest in either place then - also missed an offer when PDX was just thinking about establishing “The Pearl”. Oh well....
I have a great aunt and uncle who are long time Bend residents; they sold their property and now have been able to retire.

Reactions: RainGoat

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Oh yeah Boise area has gone crazy. But you can still get away in a matter of minutes. All of S Idaho has grown. What used to be sagebrush is now farms and dairies. What used to be farms are now subdivisions. That being said after driving around the country and living in 17 states over the last 7 years I’ll take Idaho over all of them
My cousins from PDX are all moving to Idaho; would love to do the same but have bills to pay and family in Seattle area. Upside is we can go visit :)

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Here from Oak Harbor!
@Gabriel Bozeman I have seen some of your Rally Point offerings and would love to join in when it works for my schedule. I am over in Sammamish (Seattle Eastside) and getting to your events would be a little more difficult for me given their start times, etc. Keeping my eye on them though. Thank you!

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

@Gabriel Bozeman I have seen some of your Rally Point offerings and would love to join in when it works for my schedule. I am over in Sammamish (Seattle Eastside) and getting to your events would be a little more difficult for me given their start times, etc. Keeping my eye on them though. Thank you!
Awesome! Looking forward to being able to meet you!