Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Whoopie Slings are adjustable continuous loop slings made from Samson Amsteel Blue rope that makes knotless rigging possible. One of the most popular uses of this sling is to attach a hammock to a tree strap in an adjustable manner or in the tree pruning and removal business and in winching and rigging. See a master hammocker describe and show what and how to use a whoopie sling for hammocks, if you don't know Shug is, oh you should.
Another discussion and explanation
I discuss products from Samson Ropes who I am in now way affiliated with other than being a user of amsteel blue rope that I purchased from vendors, and Dutchware Gear which many of you know from hammock camping. I want to state up front I am in ZERO ways endorsing, affiliated or even personally know Dutch or anyone in his companies. I do use many of his products and have purchased them all with my own money. This is not a review just a discussion starter on the thoughts and to share information on some interesting products.

So I have been on an overall rethink of my overland gear since april of 2020. I bought a new truck and have been building since. Shrinking gear to less items with more uses, lighter overall gear, updated new tech, and everything else in between. One of the big items I have looked at is sleeping options. I have camped, climbed, hiked, hunted and traveled all over since I have been 14 years old (don't try to do the math the answer is - OLD). So I have been using a hammock setup for the last year. So I had this great idea to build a whoopie sling out of some 9/16 Amsteel Blue rope I had on hand from another project. I have been using it for about a year now and I love it. This is not a kinetic rope this is really a good ole fashioned pull strap. The advantage of Samson Amsteel Blue is that it is strand for strand stronger than steel cable. It has been used in many industrial applications from winch line to cranes to ships / naval and everything in between. I use this rope for many things from winch line to lashing, soft shackles, hanging game animals, bear bags of food when needed, and of course hanging my hammock systems. Dutchware gear (Whoopie Recovery Rope | Adjustable Recovery Rope - DutchWare) has made available a 7/16 rope for the recovery application. Go and check it out on youtube
Specs:
Certified Breaking Strength: 15,000+ pounds
Amsteel Blue Size: 7/16
Adjustable Length: 5ft up to 28ft
Attached bag for easy storage and quick reference to instructions

SO the big question and discussion is what are your thoughts on these products and uses?

Last edited: