Who Planted the seed for you to be an OverLander (Pic/stories)

• HTML tutorial

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
For me it started at age five 1965. Mom Dad and three boys 5, 7 and 13. The Sierra Nevada was the playing field. We backpacked every year on trips lasting from a week to several with food and supply stops disbursed throughout. For me looking back I am so glad my folks loved the outdoors, animals and nature. We wood not see anyone on the trail or at a camp site for days at a time. When we did meet someone on trail it was awesome and usually would join groups for a day or two. The like minded people remind me of why I enjoy OB so much. We would cross country (off trail) from time to time and discover our own spot for a couple of days and then move on. My folks taught us to navigate using a compass and topo map. Our Aunt and uncle and two cousins would join us most years for at least a week. We learned to rock climb and snow and ice climb in Yosemite valley and Tuolumne Meadows. In the winter no downhill skiing it was cross country skiing. I recall the absolute silence in a snow covered meadow and it was amazing. I backpacked until I joined the service in 1982. I hope this will remind you, we all do this because of something or someone in our past or present that has stimulated the desire to see and explore. I thank you all very much!!!!!

Mom and Dad on Donahue pass 68-72 time frame.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

For me it was my Dad and Grandpa taking me hunting every fall. It was a big deal in my family to go deer hunting. Those were my favorite times as kid growing up,we would set up a base camp and spend a week or two hunting. For me it was never about the hunt but the adventure of being out in the mountains hiking around being part of nature. At night after a long day of hiking around we would all hang out around the camp fire and just talk. To me just getting away from it all and spend time with friends and family outdoors with no distraction, is what it is all about for me. I can't thank my grandpa anymore for all the time he spent with me, but I thank my dad for it every chance I get. Without them I wouldn't have the sense of adventure to want to know whats past the next mountain or bend in the road.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I was a Boy Scout as a kid, and grew up on my grandfather's farm. So being outside, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, etc. was just normal for a kid in the '60s. My Dad was a teacher, and worked in a factory in the summer to make enough money to make it through the year, so we never took a family vacation. My grandparents traveled in an Avion trailer (like its rival Airstream, but matte aluminum instead of polished) so my brothers and I would take trips with them. We'd go to historic sites, national parks in the east, to big Avion Rendezvous with a bunch of other old people, etc. It wasn't until I was driving that I got to go camping on my own or with my brothers. We'd take several trips around Ohio, and one longer trip each summer. Usually it was south to east Tennessee, the Smokeys, or up east to Maine. Later were trips out west, backpacking in Rocky Mountain National Park or Mount Rainier.

So I'd have to say that the person responsible for me getting out and exploring was... Me!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
For me it started at age five 1965. Mom Dad and three boys 5, 7 and 13. The Sierra Nevada was the playing field. We backpacked every year on trips lasting from a week to several with food and supply stops disbursed throughout. For me looking back I am so glad my folks loved the outdoors, animals and nature. We wood not see anyone on the trail or at a camp site for days at a time. When we did meet someone on trail it was awesome and usually would join groups for a day or two. The like minded people remind me of why I enjoy OB so much. We would cross country (off trail) from time to time and discover our own spot for a couple of days and then move on. My folks taught us to navigate using a compass and topo map. Our Aunt and uncle and two cousins would join us most years for at least a week. We learned to rock climb and snow and ice climb in Yosemite valley and Tuolumne Meadows. In the winter no downhill skiing it was cross country skiing. I recall the absolute silence in a snow covered meadow and it was amazing. I backpacked until I joined the service in 1982. I hope this will remind you, we all do this because of something or someone in our past or present that has stimulated the desire to see and explore. I thank you all very much!!!!!

View attachment 4625
Love those old exterior frame Kelty packs!

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
The U.S. Army did it for me.

Something about all those convoy miles and living out of my ruck sack just stuck. It was hard times, real hard. But i took pleasure and found peace in my travels. The mountains where beautiful in AFG. I drove a long way in many ways.
I have to agree with you, the AF helped keep the seed alive in me also. I will never forget sleeping on a cot under the stars in the middle of Somalia...Or all the critters!!!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Honestly, @Michael 's videos. I had some experience driving way off the grid working two years in Colorado, but it wasn't until I was searching youtube for camping around Big Sur that I found what I was looking for. I started pointing out dirt roads to my kids saying "the view is amazing up there." and they'd say "well, then let's go!" to which I'd say, "not in a Mercedes we won't!" ...so that was the needed forehead slap to get a different ride, get outside and explore!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Honestly, @Michael 's videos. I had some experience driving way off the grid working two years in Colorado, but it wasn't until I was searching youtube for camping around Big Sur that I found what I was looking for. I started pointing out dirt roads to my kids saying "the view is amazing up there." and they'd say "well, then let's go!" to which I'd say, "not in a Mercedes we won't!" ...so that was the needed forehead slap to get a different ride, get outside and explore!
Rob, I just know a little about your story, and think of it often. Thank you for hanging out with us. It's why we do it. We are honored by the overland veterans that join the ranks, but YOU are why we do it. Every new person that benefits from being a badass in the great outdoors defines our purpose.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I've always liked camping since I was a kid. Then I got my first 4x4 vehicle 2 years ago. Then I found Expedition Overland on YouTube. That was the final straw that made me really want to get out there.

Reactions: Michael and O.Dfj

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've been camping since I was weeks old. Always had a Jeep as a vehicle (except for an F150 that snuck in there). I saw some videos on YouTube and found some forums and I was hooked. New I needed to get out and explore areas where not everyone can get to.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Mine was Royal Rangers (like boy scouts but through church) taught me to love camping and the outdoors/exploring. My Blazer (Red Riding Hood) was what got me into Overlanding. I started building it for off roading then ran across some build threads and that got me started.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
GoHeels. Thank you!!!!!! Love the pics and the story... That's what I'm talking about, I think we all are carrying a legacy for those that helped us get here. @Michael and @Corrie/ALL OB Members are in a sense mentors for us all to carry on.. OK now lets all sit in a ring and sing a folk song! (sorry I bird walked) By being active in this community and talking about what it is, we remember those that came before. The recent trip to overland expo west and touring with some amazing folks. @Michael @Corrie @JesseG @Narbob @rmerron @Michael Joel @Mirek and my son, I would think of the settlers traveling by wagon across the country and arriving at the Grand canyon or so many other obstacles after months of travel and encounter that WOW. I think how daunting it must have been. That is what is amazing to me....Sit and reflect.

Joel 11k

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seal Rock, Lincoln County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Hard to pin down where it started because I have had it as long as I remember. My parents took us on a lot of epic road trips from Florida all over the West. That and working on my uncles farm in Montana exposed me to what is out there and always left me wanting to explore more. Watching re-runs of the old TV show called "the Rat Patrol" may have sealed it......WW2 4x4 jeeps hauling ass around Africa wreaking havoc on the Nazi's Afrika corp was awesome and that is probably the foundation of my desire for anything 4 wheel drive.

gregash1086

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Riverside
Member #

I'd say the love for the outdoors and 4x4s. I've always been an outdoorsman with hunting, fishing, hiking and exploring in general. Put that into a truck and live on that with no other worries. Also not having phone service is always a plus. And now a big part in what I like to do is meet others like you and me. Just meeting new people with similar interests and talking about where I've been or learning about new places I must see. Over landing isn't just something you go and do, it's a part of you.

Taoracer

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I just got back home from the Mt. Shasta area with my son. Camping and visiting family. We got to camp on the mountain, and I even got to shift into 4lo! Haha

But what I want to share is a moment I had with my grandma. We were driving back from a gorgeous waterfall.
It was a single lane dirt road, nothing a stock Subaru couldn't handle. My mom was driving and my grandma in the passengerseat. I was excited about trails that I was looking at (on my gps). When my grandma says,
"...you know, a long time ago. When I was a girl. I went on a jeep trip. It was a old army jeep. There was a trailer, that I towed behind it. It had 2 shifters..."
At this point I'm losing mind!! I'mpicturing my young grandma (who is about to turn 90!) driving a flat fender w/ atrailer?! How cool is that!?
So I guess this apple Hasn't fallen to farfrom the tree. ;)

Reactions: Road and SLO Rob