Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I used to own a 1995 D1 SD, still regret selling it sometimes.

We all make mistakes. I'll never sell mine. I may use it for my casket if the g. kids don't want it. That's a nice D1 and I would love to have that engine in my rig. Did you ever make any mods or is this what it looked like when you sold it ?

kevinh26

Rank I

Enthusiast I

southern NY
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Healy
I have the D2 and love it. I just wish they had not used so much plastic trim. Seems like I either break a piece all to often or it falls off somewhere like the car wash and I never see it again. I've been searching salvage yards for a year now and still haven't found a right side A pillar trim. I'm getting rid of the bumpers because of their bad condition and replaced the front one yesterday, rear one sometime soon. Otherwise I have no complaints.
Love my '04 Dll. i've had a '67lla, '87 classic, many Dl's & Dll's. just put a new motor in my ,04

Reactions: EXPO_D1

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
ca plated diesel!? :hearteyes:
We all make mistakes. I'll never sell mine. I may use it for my casket if the g. kids don't want it. That's a nice D1 and I would love to have that engine in my rig. Did you ever make any mods or is this what it looked like when you sold it ?
The CA diesel title was the primary reason I purchased it in the first place. But, the truck had a lot of other issues that needed work:
- Major steering fluid leak (fixed this)
- Failed clutch slave cylinder (fixed this)
- Major paint fade on roof and hood (not a big deal)
- Clutch fork punched through on the pivot, and wouldn't fully disengage (big deal)
- Salvage title, supposedly because it had been stolen.
- Interior was falling apart and missing a ton of fasteners. I don't know if this was related to the salvage title, but *everything* needed work. Front seats were collapsing. Radio didn't work. Power locks didn't work. Center console falling off. Headliner falling. I took out all the carpets and pressure washed them, a ton of dirt came out.

All of the above is fixable of course, and given that you can buy a spare D1 for cheap getting a replacement interior isn't expensive. The clutch fork was a hassle since I'd have to drop the transmission to fix it.

The problem was that around the time when I bought this truck my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I were temporarily living in an apartment (no garage) while we planned our wedding and bought a house. This meant the D1 lived in a friend's side yard for 6 months. After the wedding we started renovating the house, which took a lot of time and effort, and I had no time to work on the Disco. It just sat in our yard, and I was getting stressed knowing how much work it required and how little time I had. With the clutch issue and interior falling apart it wasn't much fun to drive.

Ultimately I sold it to someone who knew how rare it was and who was very excited to own a D1 with a 300tdi. If the timing had been different I'd probably still own the truck.

Lanlubber, the pictures are after I spent a ton of time cleaning up the truck and fixing some of the issues. My plans were to put a 2" lift on it and run 235s, but unfortunately I never had time to get it there.

- Matt

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I forgot to mention that it also had some rust around the "skylight" windows at the top of the rear and the windows were leaking. This wasn't anything major, but it took a lot of time to pull the windows, deal with the rust, and install new seals. Just one more thing on a very long todo list.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The CA diesel title was the primary reason I purchased it in the first place. But, the truck had a lot of other issues that needed work:
- Major steering fluid leak (fixed this)
- Failed clutch slave cylinder (fixed this)
- Major paint fade on roof and hood (not a big deal)
- Clutch fork punched through on the pivot, and wouldn't fully disengage (big deal)
- Salvage title, supposedly because it had been stolen.
- Interior was falling apart and missing a ton of fasteners. I don't know if this was related to the salvage title, but *everything* needed work. Front seats were collapsing. Radio didn't work. Power locks didn't work. Center console falling off. Headliner falling. I took out all the carpets and pressure washed them, a ton of dirt came out.

All of the above is fixable of course, and given that you can buy a spare D1 for cheap getting a replacement interior isn't expensive. The clutch fork was a hassle since I'd have to drop the transmission to fix it.

The problem was that around the time when I bought this truck my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I were temporarily living in an apartment (no garage) while we planned our wedding and bought a house. This meant the D1 lived in a friend's side yard for 6 months. After the wedding we started renovating the house, which took a lot of time and effort, and I had no time to work on the Disco. It just sat in our yard, and I was getting stressed knowing how much work it required and how little time I had. With the clutch issue and interior falling apart it wasn't much fun to drive.

Ultimately I sold it to someone who knew how rare it was and who was very excited to own a D1 with a 300tdi. If the timing had been different I'd probably still own the truck.

Lanlubber, the pictures are after I spent a ton of time cleaning up the truck and fixing some of the issues. My plans were to put a 2" lift on it and run 235s, but unfortunately I never had time to get it there.

- Matt
I do understand all of those issues. I've owned way to many vehicles in my life with similar issues that eventually moved on.

My 2000 LRD2 was headed the way of yours because the previous owner had let a lot of little things go if it wasn't necessary to fix. Nothing major but things like window rollers on all four windows needed to be replaced, hood latch cable was broken and needed replacement. The plastic on both front and rear bumpers was cracked and broken and wouldn't hold the rear bumper lights any more. The third eye stop light on the top of the doors was missing. The right side window pillar trim was missing on the front and rear doors. The left front A pillar was badly cracked. All the roof trim plastic was broken. All the damage to the plastic was caused by a terrific hail storm. I've changed out the front and rear bumpers for steel off road bumpers, replaced all the missing window pillar trim, and just removed all the roof trim plastic and painted the gutter with black truck bed paint. It looks fine now and I would have changed out the bumpers anyway for the better steel bumpers.
I did raise mine 2", added 1" wheel spacers and 265/75/16 a/t tires. I found a roof rack that was made in Africa by a previous owner for his safari travels in his Disco 2. It's pretty unique and strong enough that people rode on top to hunt and guide. Mechanically it was well maintained with only 101k miles on it. It will do me till I die and maybe someone else for many more years now.

Reactions: slomatt

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HELP. !!!! My 2000 LRD2 will not start or unlock my steering wheel. I was going to drive it two days ago after it sat for two weeks.

I inserted the key in the ignition but it failed to unlock the wheel or start the engine. Because the key fab would not unlock or sound the alarm. I thought I needed a new battery in the key fab. I replaced it and tried again.

It still wouldn't unlock the ignition. Then I checked the car battery and it was down to 3.65 amps. I pulled the battery out and charged it over night till the amp reading read 12.8 amps.

Again I tried to start the rover, to no avail. I then watched a youtube on the problem. It said I needed to reset the lockout with a code called EKA code. I did not have that code from the previous owner but found out there is a default code I could put in the drivers door lock. He said the default code was 1515 for all 1996 through 2004 LRD2's. I put the code in according to his instructions which may not have been completely correct but it at least turned off the flashing red light on the dash. It still wouldn't start the engine. The lite had been blinking very fast and should have been s steady red glow.

I checked another youtube and that guy said I should hold the door key in the left position for 5 minutes or until I heard an alarm sound, then turn the key in a sequence for the four default number, and as a final move, turn the key to the right (unlock position) and hold until the alarm sounded twice. I did all these things but the rover still won't let the key start the engine.

Any suggestions would be very welcome from any of you who knows more about the problem than me.

Last edited:

WoodcockFamilyOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Shropshire, UK
First Name
Daryll
Last Name
Woodcock
Member #

Some nice looking Disco's! It's inspiring to see what the possibilities are!

Currently sorting Membership through Dave so I'll post an introduction in new members once that's all done.

Anyway having just got mine to the point I had imagined in my head when I started building it out and like a proud dad would love to share pictures!

IMG_0781 (1).jpeg
IMG_0801.jpg

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Some nice looking Disco's! It's inspiring to see what the possibilities are!

Currently sorting Membership through Dave so I'll post an introduction in new members once that's all done.

Anyway having just got mine to the point I had imagined in my head when I started building it out and like a proud dad would love to share pictures!

View attachment 150055
View attachment 150056
Hey nice Disco, I'm a Defender owner myself. where in blighty are you? I'm way down in sunny plymouth. welcome to OB