Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
ARB FRONT Bumper. Some Rear metal bumper, been awhile.

Fox 2" shocks with OME 1.5 springs and 1" spacer.

Shaft still stock but I need to replace it ASAP before I go to another trip and not bust my trans case.

I'm stock, I'll add the CDL soon but so far it's been good but I'll also don't take crazy chances, I love sight seeing more than trying to crawl crazy places. #2 goal is to be out there but #1 rule is to get home safe.

With my RTT, it handles fine, heavy during up hill but the truck is also heavy even without it lol. No not noisy... I wish not to use it anymore, going smaller and setting up drawer system where I can sleep inside. My RTT is made for 4 person when I take my family...

I work for myself so I don't really get to plan a month ahead, I usually decide to go on trip within days of notice but I hope to go.
Al, I pretty much think we're in the same bed of thoughts. I took the easy route and just went with 2" lift spacers from the start thinking that any more lift (as I was told) might make me buy new shocks which I didn't need at this time. When I do buy some shocks I will go the extra 2" even though I dont need them. I added 1" wheel spacers to help with tire clearance and a wider stance for stability.

I bought some 265/75/16 tires to fill the new holes in the wheel well. I had to either cut the front bumper skirt or buy a steel bumper similar to yours without all the cage bars above the actual bumper. I didn't see a need for that sort of protection and my bumper was half the cost of yours so I went that way. I'm adding the light bar instead, similar to a jeep set up and 2- 9" driving lights on top. I too will sleep in the rig or a tent depending on where I go and how long I will stay there. Now that I have my Refer I can size my layout better for a kit build platform. I still need a rear bumper but I think I will have my welder build my design for it at half the cost.

I owned my own business too for 50 years, so I understand your time off situation. There isn't that much. I hope to make my first trip in June to the PNW Rally. It will be a nice chance to meet all the friends I have made here on OB forum this past year and gain a whole lot more knowledge about Over landing and rig preparation. Hope to see you there if you can make it.

JimG92

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edinburgh, UK
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Gilmour
Member #

Loving all the Land Rover related pictures - as with all you people, it's always a work in progress. I've just added a roof tent and split charge system. Now looking for a fridge.
Also looking for a rear mounted rack to carry a gas bottle and perhaps a jerry can for fuel or water (on the swing out spare wheel carrier). Lots of gear available for you folks with Jeeps in the US and elsewhere but not a lot available in the UK for Land Rover Defenders (one or two but at outrageous prices). I think I'll have to have a go at making one up. Any suggestions or ideas really welcome.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Loving all the Land Rover related pictures - as with all you people, it's always a work in progress. I've just added a roof tent and split charge system. Now looking for a fridge.
Also looking for a rear mounted rack to carry a gas bottle and perhaps a jerry can for fuel or water (on the swing out spare wheel carrier). Lots of gear available for you folks with Jeeps in the US and elsewhere but not a lot available in the UK for Land Rover Defenders (one or two but at outrageous prices). I think I'll have to have a go at making one up. Any suggestions or ideas really welcome.
You have to be proud of your Landy. I would be !

Reactions: JimG92

Bodge Garage

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Millwood WA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Sss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YI
Service Branch
Firefighter/EMT
I love it too, can you give more detail info on your mods to it.
Sorry late reply. Let's see, I have owned this thing for 25 years so it is hard to remember.
OME 3" springs
TF Big Bore shocks
Defender vented front rotors and calipers, front and rear EBC YELLOW brakes
4.6L with RV cam by V8 Development
285 BFG/MT
Series 2 front driveline and proper u-jointed rear
Custom front bumper, 8274 Warn with contactor conversion, wired to interior
Custom rear bumper with tow points and LED lights
Safety Devices Series 2 rack
Rear seat delete
Asfir fuel tank skid plate
Stainless big bore exhaust
I am sure I am overlooking a bunch but this is the highlights at least. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: KA7USA

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Sorry late reply. Let's see, I have owned this thing for 25 years so it is hard to remember.
OME 3" springs
TF Big Bore shocks
Defender vented front rotors and calipers, front and rear EBC YELLOW brakes
4.6L with RV cam by V8 Development
285 BFG/MT
Series 2 front driveline and proper u-jointed rear
Custom front bumper, 8274 Warn with contactor conversion, wired to interior
Custom rear bumper with tow points and LED lights
Safety Devices Series 2 rack
Rear seat delete
Asfir fuel tank skid plate
Stainless big bore exhaust
I am sure I am overlooking a bunch but this is the highlights at least. If you have questions feel free to ask.
I am so far behind you. Amazing you have had your Disco for 25 years. The disco is so amazing, I'm kinda glad people shy away from them. It keeps the cost down. Also they have no idea what they are missing out on.
I' ll be coming to PNW Rally in June, hope to see you there.

Reactions: Bodge Garage

Bodge Garage

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Millwood WA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Sss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YI
Service Branch
Firefighter/EMT
I am so far behind you. Amazing you have had your Disco for 25 years. The disco is so amazing, I'm kinda glad people shy away from them. It keeps the cost down. Also they have no idea what they are missing out on.
I' ll be coming to PNW Rally in June, hope to see you there.
The disco is an affordable comfortable Defender.
Not sure if we will be at the rally but will look for you if we do make it.

NomaadNC

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Rocky Mount, NC, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Sellers
Member #

I do... '04 Discovery bought with 8k on it. Last of the solid axles. I have had it for 15 years now. I had a '96 D1 and a '95 RRC LWB. But 3 sitting in the yard just got to be too much to moved to cut the grass. I am just now getting started on '04 and I plan to keep it very simple. Still trying to convince the fam that we can travel in it. We have Sienna that is serving that duty right now.

zony

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prunedale CA, USA
First Name
marc
Last Name
oehlman
Member #

Hi All! Not sure where your located but Im in Southern California but go all over! If you want to drop your contact info Im organizing some trips in the future!

Jacob... I'm in Monterey... currently a little grounded (post surgery)... FYI, you might be interested in a LR not-a-club group... Mendo-Recce, a group of primarily Series drivers, but Discos, Defenders, Rangies etc as well. No dues, very helpful people... more info at Google Groups
Marc

JimG92

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edinburgh, UK
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Gilmour
Member #

Land Rover defender 90 1986 still work process
View attachment 146811
Looks awesome mate - really well turned out. Mines a C plate '90 too.
Like the look of the side exit exhaust, did you do that yourself?- I've got a 300tdi/LT77 transplanted into a galvanized TD5 chassis on my motor and fancy adding in a TD5 rear fuel tank to give me a greater travelling range - so that type of exhaust would maybe save me a bit of exhaust pipe fabrication work.

mikedtmay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Dawlish, UK
First Name
Michael
Last Name
May
Member #

Looks awesome mate - really well turned out. Mines a C plate '90 too.
Like the look of the side exit exhaust, did you do that yourself?- I've got a 300tdi/LT77 transplanted into a galvanized TD5 chassis on my motor and fancy adding in a TD5 rear fuel tank to give me a greater travelling range - so that type of exhaust would maybe save me a bit of exhaust pipe fabrication work.
Cheers mate, that cool nice hear other C reg out there my from ex mod.
yeah side exhaust I'm Brought from Ebay £140 pound it good fix well but no silent box my neighbour not pleased lol :smile: I thing get custom exhaust with box one days.
my engine 200tdi / LT77, my chassis fantastic original chassis no weld.