Who here plans Overland trips around Fishing?

• HTML tutorial

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I haven't been out much on trips, and I haven't been out specifically to fish. But the last two times involved a national forest with a trout hatchery in it, and the last time I was out there I saw a lot of folks trout fishing the area in the morning. I went ahead and added trout to my fishing license and I will be brining my fishing gear with me next time I'm up there!

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

I always take a tackle pack and pole or two when I travel, but for straight up fishing, I load my ultralight ( and not so ultralight) gear into one of my canoes or expedition kayak and hit any of many places here for a dedicated camping/fishing trip, which is my #1 favorite activity in the outdoors.
But, I see myself doing more in more areas as I start traveling more and more, camping my way across and around the country. Taking a canoe on top or not.

Reactions: Surffishingbum

Andrew Leach

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX
Member #

I am headed to Colorado this June from Northern AZ. Meeting up with some of the Rocky Mountain crew from here for their yearly trip. Plan on leaving a week prior to the trip and stopping along the way to do some fishing in CO and UT. Going to try and teach myself fly-fishing while I am at it, but will also be bringing my spin rod to fish with.
This sounds awesome and from one newbie FlyFisherman to another...have a blast! Hire a guide for a day, I've learned how from them and it was always worth the $.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I am headed to Colorado this June from Northern AZ. Meeting up with some of the Rocky Mountain crew from here for their yearly trip. Plan on leaving a week prior to the trip and stopping along the way to do some fishing in CO and UT. Going to try and teach myself fly-fishing while I am at it, but will also be bringing my spin rod to fish with.
This sounds awesome and from one newbie FlyFisherman to another...have a blast! Hire a guide for a day, I've learned how from them and it was always worth the $.
I thought about that, especially since the area of Co I will be in has a lot of fly fishing shops and areas to fish. Going to start looking in on that.

Picked up my reel I have been eyeing and am now waiting on my dad to make the trip out to drop off 3 rods for me.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Has anyone devised a good method to transport their rods while overlanding? The last trip I made I didn’t secure them well enough and damaged a couple and I don’t want that happening again. How does everyone protect their equipment while bouncing around off road?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Has anyone devised a good method to transport their rods while overlanding? The last trip I made I didn’t secure them well enough and damaged a couple and I don’t want that happening again. How does everyone protect their equipment while bouncing around off road?
I made a rod tube that holds 5 rods out of 4” PVC pipe and 1 1/2” pipe insulation.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

There are expensive, lockable, mount to roof rack - Rod holders. My 8' 4 weight is in a 5' Canvas Covered PVC tube, that I Velcro so that it's not loose. My 10' 4-5 Weight is in a separate tube, that is strapped down in both the LandCruiser and Tacoma. NOTHING is loose! Even the Camera equipment and Binoc's are secured while traveling. DcG

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I'm on the east coast, and yet have done very little Salt water fishing. I do much more fresh water, for some reason. Maybe that's because I used to live on a lake. And a little ice fishing.

Christmas before this last one, a friend gave me a starter fly rod set. I've been once, but would like to go more.

So I normally keep a tackle box and one or two fresh water reels in the Jeep or truck. I used to be on the road a lot for work, and if I saw a nice spot, I would stop and fish, time permitting.

Scout the ThundahBeagle is not the type of dog to sit by idly, not is he the type I can let of leash and expect to return when I call for him if I let him off leash. This has caused a drastic drop in my fishing time over the last 6 years. However, it coincides with a rise in hiking time with the pup, so I've been quite happy.

I'll bring some gear in May when I head to Montana.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

75% percent of our trips are based on fishing. We have the NE Nevada loop trip 5 fishing spots, 2 - 3 hours from one to the next and plan a night at each one. Trout on a fly that I tied is my heaven. My wife loves to fish probably more than I do. We met on a fishing trip. The only thing I can find wrong with her is I haven’t been able to get her to pick up a fly rod yet. This year I’ll get her addicted to sturgeon fishing.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

NCGRIZ

Rank I

Contributor II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Gregory
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4MVN
Visit Craigslist or Facebook market place and find old Yakima or Thule racks with ski holders. Pretty sure they are Powderhounds model. I have been using mine for 20+ years and they work great from spot to spot. They have soft grips that hold everything perfectly. With the new ones out the older models are going pretty cheap. The bottom image is not my truck but this is very similar to how I secure them on my F150.
Yakima Ski.jpg
ski-rack-hack-small.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto