• HTML tutorial

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Here it is while I was testing it "in controlled environment"
Thanks for the pic. So let me see if I've understood your original thought & post.

The "grill pan" you reference is sitting on the portable stove in your pic? Looks like its about 20 (+ or -) in diameter... or in US about 8 inches. And you also have a frying or boiling "basket" in the foreground of the pic full of potatoes cut into "chips" or "fries"?

Did the basket also come wih the wok?

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

When reading your earlier post I envisioned a flat "griddle" sort of divider which fit into the work for "indirect" heat or some such arrangement.

I may have just misunderstood

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Sorry to cut that last post short, wife brought out beakfast so I just "posted" and started eating!

What i intended to confirm is that your pic doesn't include the wok.
20180608_111550.jpg

Enthusiast I

Yes the wok is with the oil on the stove. I think its around 12" in diametre. Sorry about the "grilled "word. I meant the thing (metal basket) that hold the potatoes. It fits right in the wok. I just realized that on the picture the woke does not look flared so it does not really look like a wok.

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

We have been using a 18” wok for basically all of our cooking needs other than brats. It’s easy to boil water in it, cook noodles, stir fry, cook meat or just heat up left overs. Cuts down on a lot of cooking gear we need to bring. Plus woks can come in a multitude of different sizes and materials. We just ordered a cast iron one over amazon that looks pretty great for running in our home base rig.

Reactions: Eric Neal

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have never used a wok outside, but have thought about it. In the kitchen i now use a nice non stick model with a rubber handle. This replaced a mild steel/wood handle cheapie that i used extensively for years. This aluminum non stick model is so much better.
As others have mentioned, it is a very versatile cooking platform, and you could do about 85% or more of your cooking on it. More versatile than a scottile set up. It comes down to what you like. If weight or bulk is not a big concern, then you do not have to limit yourself as cast iron can also be taken, and you can customize what you take with you depending on the amount of people and food dishes:hearteyes:

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I’ve been using my Wok (black steel with steel handle) at home to season it. Have since taken it on several weekends camping.
Seasoning it has been super easy so it doesn’t stick at all.
I’ve found it easy to cook just about anything with on the coals or on my Soto Muka stove.

Cleaning it out generally is me just wiping out any food residue with a brush or paper towel and wiping with a bit of olive oil if it’s particularly dry (not often)

Very happy Wokking Camper now!

Reactions: Eric Neal