Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

Scarecrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Again. Hi cap magazines have no place either. If you can't take down an animal with 3 shots take up knitting. Anyways. I know there will be lots of crying about people having their black guns taken away. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about protection from real threats like a bear in your campsite. The 50 cal airgun seems like a dandy choice.
No such thing as hi capacity magazines this is an anti gun thing just like assault weapon . The reason we have ARs is the fact our military has similar weapons and we have a constitutional right to have them . ARs also are a very popular sporting rifle for hunting I use one for deer hunting and coyote hunting

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

The one thing some folks just do get, AR’s and AK’s are fun to shoot. The reason people purchase them is they are so much fun. I was talking to my father about them, he didn’t get it. I then compared it to shooting to the Ruger 10-22 only accurate to 200yrs. Then he understood.... he has a couple now. The modern sporting rifles are the most popular firearms being sold today for a reason. Everybody I know is thinking about how much fun they will have shooting them when they purchase them, not anything else. I have shoot them from 177 HMR to 300 Win. mag and even 12ga. Fun, fun, fun. I don’t carry when I overland, never had a desire or a need. I complete support you you if that’s what you want to do.

Reactions: grubworm

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

The one thing some folks just do get, AR’s and AK’s are fun to shoot. The reason people purchase them is they are so much fun. I was talking to my father about them, he didn’t get it. I then compared it to shooting to the Ruger 10-22 only accurate to 200yrs. Then he understood.... he has a couple now. The modern sporting rifles are the most popular firearms being sold today for a reason. Everybody I know is thinking about how much fun they will have shooting them when they purchase them, not anything else. I have shoot them from 177 HMR to 300 Win. mag and even 12ga. Fun, fun, fun. I don’t carry when I overland, never had a desire or a need. I complete support you you if that’s what you want to do.
Fun factor is huge. I've taken lots of first timers to the range, some that were even a bit skittish of guns in general, and without exception they always have an awesome time and come away with a positive view of firearms.

Reactions: MMc

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
My approach is better to have and not need than to need and not have. While there have been occasions where some "opportunist" felt it was better to find easier prey elsewhere at the sight of old cocked & locked slab side, my primary concern is focused around the two legged predators that inhabit the "civilized" areas of wilderness.

Reactions: Arailt

CaptSourPatch

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wenatchee, Chelan County, Washington, United States
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Miller
Oh boy. I’m new here, so I don’t want to ruffle too many feathers, but I guess it’s innevitable with this topic.......
As far as carrying while camping? Yup. For ALL things that can cause harm. 2 or 4 legged. A .50 cal pellet gun? Sure, that’s an option. But it isn’t one I want to use. And that’s my call. That should be ANYONES call.

Do I “need” an AR15? I say yes. Do I “need” a 30 round magazine? I say yes, multiple.

Why? Because criminals don’t care about laws. That’s what makes them criminals in the first place.
I want the opportunity to go home to my family. So if that means I have at least 1 more round than the bad guys, then that gives me a leg up on the “competition”.

And when people argue about 30 round magazines for hunting and not hitting your target, they just don’t get it. The 2A was NOT written for hunting, so that argument is irrelavent. The 2A was written to allow “We The People” the right to protect ourselves. From anyone. The gov included. Just google Colombia and you’ll see current footage of the Colombian gov killing people in the streets for protesting higher taxes.

I’ll take my Evil black rifles and all the ammo I want.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Oh boy. I’m new here, so I don’t want to ruffle too many feathers, but I guess it’s innevitable with this topic.......
As far as carrying while camping? Yup. For ALL things that can cause harm. 2 or 4 legged. A .50 cal pellet gun? Sure, that’s an option. But it isn’t one I want to use. And that’s my call. That should be ANYONES call.

Do I “need” an AR15? I say yes. Do I “need” a 30 round magazine? I say yes, multiple.

Why? Because criminals don’t care about laws. That’s what makes them criminals in the first place.
I want the opportunity to go home to my family. So if that means I have at least 1 more round than the bad guys, then that gives me a leg up on the “competition”.

And when people argue about 30 round magazines for hunting and not hitting your target, they just don’t get it. The 2A was NOT written for hunting, so that argument is irrelavent. The 2A was written to allow “We The People” the right to protect ourselves. From anyone. The gov included. Just google Colombia and you’ll see current footage of the Colombian gov killing people in the streets for protesting higher taxes.

I’ll take my Evil black rifles and all the ammo I want.
μολὼν λαβέ,

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
It's all pretty simple to me.
If you do not own firearms and/or don't believe in them, that's totally fine. You'll probably be fine, life is 99% safe.
If you do own firearms, you should really consider carrying them as often as possible. Even camping. It would totally suck to have something bad happen, that one time you weren't carrying.
It's a conundrum for me, I'd like to believe I don't need a firearm, I wish it were true. And I am not a consistent carrier. It bothers me to think I left my firearm at home if something bad did happen.

CaptSourPatch

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wenatchee, Chelan County, Washington, United States
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Miller
If you do not own firearms and/or don't believe in them, that's totally fine. You'll probably be fine, life is 99% safe.
If you do own firearms, you should really consider carrying them as often as possible. Even camping. It would totally suck to have something bad happen, that one time you weren't carrying.
It's a conundrum for me, I'd like to believe I don't need a firearm, I wish it were true. And I am not a consistent carrier. It bothers me to think I left my firearm at home if something bad did happen.
Same

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

PandaMonium 428

Rank IV

Traveler III

Carl Junction, Jasper County, Missouri, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
O’Connell
Who carrys a firearm with you for protection while camping? I have not in the past, however, bear activity seems to be increasing around the areas I camp in the past little while.
I carry every day, always. At least one. When i go camping my other ‘pistol’ comes with me. LMT 10.5” 5.56 pistol. Nice for social distancing

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Only when I remember to pack it. I'm getting better about remembering to pack it ( or them).

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Recommend Utah concealed carry permit. Good for 30 or so states ( not California unfortunately). ASDI has classes in California and other states. Makes life easier and things handier while out on long trips. I have no affiliation, but it made sense for me.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
I grew up in Alaska always carrying a .44mag revolver when camping. These days I generally carry a 9mm and bear spray. In bear country I’ll add that .44mag to my kit or even a rifle but I’m not too concerned down here in the states. As a side note I only ever camp in remote dispersed camping locations and rarely at an official campground.
recommended caliber for Alaska trips? Hand guns not an option for us canucks
Brenneke 12 gauge Black Magic Magnum.

Reactions: JANITO33

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Brenneke 12 gauge Black Magic Magnum.
This!

I went to Alaska in 2020 on a 10 week overlanding trip and of course needed to drive through Canada. I bought a relatively inexpensive pump action 12 gauge as that is allowed in Canada and along with the correct paperwork filled out ahead of time had no issues crossing legally. I had the Brenneke Black Magnum shells and was confident in being able to handle anything that came my way..

Interestingly, the only issue we had was in British Columbia where we stopped for the night was apparently on a path used by black bears. One came into our camp when we were preparing dinner and was pretty aggressive. While my wife was getting the 12 gauge ready in the camper I shot the bear with some bear spray and he took off running into the bushes snorting and growling the whole way. No harm, no fowl.

We’re going back to Canada this summer, this time exploring the Atlantic side, and will be doing the exact same thing.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

This!

I went to Alaska in 2020 on a 10 week overlanding trip and of course needed to drive through Canada. I bought a relatively inexpensive pump action 12 gauge as that is allowed in Canada and along with the correct paperwork filled out ahead of time had no issues crossing legally. I had the Brenneke Black Magnum shells and was confident in being able to handle anything that came my way..

Interestingly, the only issue we had was in British Columbia where we stopped for the night was apparently on a path used by black bears. One came into our camp when we were preparing dinner and was pretty aggressive. While my wife was getting the 12 gauge ready in the camper I shot the bear with some bear spray and he took off running into the bushes snorting and growling the whole way. No harm, no fowl.

We’re going back to Canada this summer, this time exploring the Atlantic side, and will be doing the exact same thing.
I wonder if that blackie hadn't been fed or grown used to eating garbage or something. Usually blackies are big cowards that fold the second you stand up to them (unless it's a mama with cubs, then watch out!). A perfect example of why it's a very good idea to have a firearm when out bush! Glad you didn't end up having to use it, but no doubt you were glad to have it!