Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

Mrcodes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anaheim Hills, Anaheim, California 92807, United States
First Name
Cody
Last Name
H
Member #

I find it very entertaining that someone who is (obviously) opposed to guns besides water and air "guns" starts a thread asking about firearms then proceeds to berate would be repliers on why you don't need a firearm and trying to convince me gun laws work and criminals will follow said laws.... fast forward to the last few pages and its turned into a pretty decent gun forum website. Love it.

Oh wait, I forgot to answer the Canadian's question; yes, I carry a firearm and so does my wife.

Cornerstone

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Lake Wales, FL, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Cornerstone
Member #

Tools are needed and come in many forms so you better carry what is needed to tote your butt back to the house...

Oh, sorry, Did I mention the purple sky and the unicorns....

Reactions: Mrprez

Cornerstone

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Lake Wales, FL, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Cornerstone
Member #

Again. Hi cap magazines have no place either. If you can't take down an animal with 3 shots take up knitting. Anyways. I know there will be lots of crying about people having their black guns taken away. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about protection from real threats like a bear in your campsite. The 50 cal airgun seems like a dandy choice.
Why don't you just un invite the bear to your campsite? or what if you covered yourself in honey? Maybe he would just lick and not chew...

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

If a bear comes into my camp, and I’m lucky enough to shoot before I become a chew toy, I am gonna shoot until movement stops. I know of hunted bears that took more than three rounds in the vitals. Maybe I need another ar. 450 bushmaster sounds like good bear medicine.

Reactions: Sputnik

Offcamber

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Princeton, TX
Member #

I always have either a Glock 19 or FNX-45tactical on me for EDC.

I carry a Ruger Charger 10/22 takedown, suppressed, with an AGP stock that allows it to all fold up and is very compact and will fit in almost anything. it's a perfect survival gun. Suppressed with subsonics, it's quieter than my old Crossman air rifle from when I was a kid. I can easily fit this little gun (the suppressor stores in the folding stock), 2- 25 round magazines and 1200 rounds of ammo in any of my small backpacks with my other gear. I have an old Adventure Medic zip up first aid pouch that it fits perfectly into without the scope on it.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I always have either a Glock 19 or FNX-45tactical on me for EDC.

I carry a Ruger Charger 10/22 takedown, suppressed, with an AGP stock that allows it to all fold up and is very compact and will fit in almost anything. it's a perfect survival gun. Suppressed with subsonics, it's quieter than my old Crossman air rifle from when I was a kid. I can easily fit this little gun (the suppressor stores in the folding stock), 2- 25 round magazines and 1200 rounds of ammo in any of my small backpacks with my other gear. I have an old Adventure Medic zip up first aid pouch that it fits perfectly into without the scope on it.

I have a takedown and I love it. I have it set up as a squirrel gun right now, but your packable setup makes me want a supressor!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Why don't you just un invite the bear to your campsite? or what if you covered yourself in honey? Maybe he would just lick and not chew...
Most pump shotguns have a capacity of 5-7 rounds in their tubular magazines. I expect if the OP found himself facing down a furious charging grizzly intent on ripping his face off, or got stalked by a cougar or a ravenous pack of wolves, he might quickly be singing a different tune. The level of foolish ignorance would be really amusing if I didn't know he had the vote in my country.

Last edited:

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

6FB05F1A-933D-4524-88F3-F2AEF05BE802.jpeg
I have a browning takedown. It now wears a 3x9 Leupold. I love this little gun. I just wish there were as many accessories for it as there are for the rugers. I’d be happy with a padded case for it when it is in takedown mode.

Reactions: Motomikeca

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Most pump shotguns have a capacity of 5-7 rounds in their tubular magazines. I expect if the OP found himself facing down a furious charging grizzly intent on ripping his face of, or got stalked by a cougar or a ravenous pack of wolves, he might quickly be singing a different tune. The level of foolish ignorance would be really amusing if I didn't know he had the vote in my country.
Again this needs to be able to be liked more than once.

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
View attachment 191684
I have a browning takedown. It now wears a 3x9 Leupold. I love this little gun. I just wish there were as many accessories for it as there are for the rugers. I’d be happy with a padded case for it when it is in takedown mode.
That is a Beautiful rifle.

Reactions: BensonSTW

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

And where do these weapons come from. NOT ALL FROM USA. just last month 4 AR 15s were stolen from a legal gun owner in NS. SO....YES this DOES keep Canadians safer. Sorry AR owners are butthurt. Get pellet versions...they offer the same feel, however the dont go bang.
So if someone steals your car and uses it in a crime, you're the one to blame and we should be coming after you as a society? Wow that sure makes sense.

As for your comment about a "50 caliber air gun," I've never seen or heard of one, but I can tell you that if such a unicorn had more muzzle energy than a .177 pellet at 500 fps, it would be classified as a firearm in Canada and subject to all the same restrictions, so I don't really see the relevance of whether the projectile is propelled by compressed air or burnt gunpowder at that point.

Reactions: BensonSTW

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
Who carrys a firearm with you for protection while camping? I have not in the past, however, bear activity seems to be increasing around the areas I camp in the past little while.
I carry. Everywhere. All the time. You never know when things will go sideways. My main sidearm is referred to as my American Express card ( never leave home without it.) . I have a backup weapon in my EDC bag referred to as my parachute. Both are the same make and model so I can swap magazines without fear of "Do I have the right mag for this one?"

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@Autism Family Travels your “get pellet versions” comment...
Definitely the funniest thing I’ll see all day.

However, and more seriously, it is probably one of the most delusional, ignorant, misinformed and illogical statements on the internet. A close second might be when Joe Biden was telling everyone to get a shotgun.

I do suggest you seek help and sort out the internal issue you got going on.

At the end of the day it has been made very apparent this thread was created with the intention of deceiving the members of this forum into engaging in a thread for you to promote your ideology and to cause division and unrest in the OB community.

This is not ok, you should not be lashing out at others from your irrational fear. This is a clear cry for help and I hope you take this opportunity to get it.

Reactions: MiamiC70

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I stopped carrying recently because I decided I'm more likely to shoot someone with how crazy things are getting, and if I have to defend myself with a firearm I'll likely be vilified on the national news.

All I carry now is the Democrat approved 4 inch blade. I'm OK with stabbing and slashing it's more personal when you can smell what your enemy last ate while your dispatching them.

Just waiting for an African American to declare that banning black guns is racist so things can get somewhat back to normal.
I feel you on that. I have decided that I now totally avoid those places that have that kind of potential for a blow-up.

However, there's one saying I like to think about: "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". So.... stay trained, keep aware, and avoid all bad situations.

Reactions: Ubiety

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I got me a new carry for camping, got the KelTec Sub2000 it breaks down nice and can fit in the backpack nicely.

Reactions: Ubiety

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
However, there's one saying I like to think about: "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". So.... stay trained, keep aware, and avoid all bad situations.

I'm with you on this. I do my best keep myself and my family out of bad situations, but if things do go sideways I have no problem with going to prison for the rest of my like if it means my wife and kids are protected from becoming victims of some violent crime.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

When I took my ccw class, long before firearms were mentioned, the first thing we were instructed on was situational awareness. The funny thing is, it seems like most people think everyone who carries, wants to be a bad ass. The biggest thing I have learned from years of legal carrying... conflict avoidance. There are some places where I just will not go anymore. Drunk loudmouth at the bar wants to raise a ruckus while the wife and I are having dinner - it’s time we left. Whole mess of bears around where we camp - get an electric fence. Eliminate the possibility of a bad situation. I have taken more grief from random people since I started carrying than I ever did before. Just because I don’t want the situation to escalate. I am afraid that one day there will be no choice. Somebody getting physically harmed. Someone who has no issue crossing that line and eliminating my exit strategy. That’s why I carry. That’s why I train and am ready. I don’t want to be a bad ass. I just want to be able to make sure me and everybody I care about can get home. Show me a more effective way to do it and I will consider it.

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
Who carrys a firearm with you for protection while camping? I have not in the past, however, bear activity seems to be increasing around the areas I camp in the past little while.
Basically 24/7. This falls under the paradigm of better to have and not need that not have and need. Not only for the various types of predator's one may encounter, but also, in many decades of camping/off-roading, I have become aware of a change in the "wilderness attitude" one may encounter. On the plus side, the deeper I press into the wilds, the more like minded I am likely to encounter. But that is me, your mileage and views may vary.