Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Grizzly are tough I have had them run like hell when they saw me and stand up tall then drop down and huff. They are why I stopped ground camping though I had one wander through my camp site I spent the rest of night not very comfortable inside my truck.

Just added RTT for comfort, getting old, but Grizzly attacks are rare enough that I feel pretty comfortable. They mostly attack when they are old or injured and unable to hunt normal game, or for territorial reasons. But out of the blue attacks are not unheard of.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@rumbledawg nice thing about PWN lighting is not that common, so I will take my chances, I am with you I do not hunt other than with my camera.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I am getting very serious with photography now. I am turning more into a nature lover, and I only kill what I want to eat. Moose is a way of life on the island and can provide food for a year when properly packaged. That's a big deal. Other than that it's my camera doing the shooting.....or my pellet guns ripping paper.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I am getting very serious with photography now. I am turning more into a nature lover, and I only kill what I want to eat. Moose is a way of life on the island and can provide food for a year when properly packaged. That's a big deal. Other than that it's my camera doing the shooting.....or my pellet guns ripping paper.
I'm the same way, so I really don't hunt much anymore. But I will add one thing. I would also shoot what wants to eat me! Lol! That scenario will probably never happen, but I'll still be prepared.

I've only encountered a moose once in my life and I was in a truck, but I've heard they can actually be very aggressive. Funny how some plant eaters can be as or more dangerous than meat eaters! When I was in South Africa a few years back, the locals were more afraid of hippos than anything else. They warned and warned about not walking around at night. They said a guy would get up and go outside to relieve himself and CHOMP! No warning, didn't see it or hear it coming. They'd find hm bitten in half the next day. I think it was probably a very rare occurrance,, but it wouldn't have to happen often in order to get the respect and fear they generate. Once in years would be more than enough to get that kind of attention.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Moose get aggressive in the mating season around late sept early oct. I have been around moose alot. Like anything else. Leave em be and they will just mosey on. provoke them, and look out. Your in for one huge beating.
Lol, the one I saw up close was a female, and I believe small. I'd imagine a full grown adult moose would be surprisingly huge!

dugan.rec

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Christensen
this gun legislation does nothing to lower gun crime rates. Criminals do not buy registered guns nor do they register said firearm. The only thing this does is make some people sleep better at night. Ignorance is bliss.
This. A challenging topic, but data certainly supports this statement, the issue is how it gets twisted by the media. Perception is everything, right? Funny, I was never a "gun guy", but in the last 2 years I now have a shotgun, CZ Scorpion braced pistol, and 3 9mm handguns - all stemming from an initial desire for home defense. I've come across some less than savory characters out camping, and personally have one of those with me, usually a 9mm handgun, when we go out.

seawolf156

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dewey-Humboldt, AZ, USA
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Fraser
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I usually carry a firearm with me when camping, its one of those things that its better to have it and not need it vs. not have it and need it.

I spent a summer internship at the Grand Canyon, I pretty much camped the entire summer in the National Forest. It was a fantastic summer, however there were a few times I had strange cars drive up into my campsite and sit there with the lights on, car running, no one got out. My first thought was other campers, however that sixth sense kicked in and it just felt wrong. After a few minutes they backed up and drove away. It was on these two separate times I was happy my AR was next to me.

As for the gun debate there are those here on both sides, however lets not forget that we are here for our common love of the great outdoors, exploration and some really baddass rigs!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok guys, Lets be sure to keep on subject and be nice, I am getting "reports" about this thread and if I get a fourth I will close it, I aint got time for all this, but I do my best because I want everyone to have a say and opinion, but not if it bothers others and I get reports (3 of them so far) SOOOOO please lets be nice, stay on subject and remember a different opinion is not an attack.

PLEASE

Thank you,

By the way I carry daily, and when we camp or overland, I got an AR or my 12ga. Shockwave (which is not a shotgun, officially ATF classified as "firearm "Other"). https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

Jim

Trbanks

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spring Hill, FL
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Banks
Member #

As a Deputy Sheriff from down here in Florida I have always carried a firearm whenever I leave the house. That practice followed me into retirement 5 years ago. My weapon of choice to carry every day is 40 caliber Glock. A smaller 9mm in hotter summer months. I keep a shotgun with me when venturing into the wild as it seems to be good for most anything you might come across. 12 gauge 00 buck or slugs will do the job every time. every firearm is a tool and one should choose the right tool for the task, but these have always been the best all purpose in my experience

just my thoughts on the matter. Everyone stay healthy and safe.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Sometimes I carry on trips for protection from the 2 legged kind. Out here in Cali you can easily run into poachers, illegal pot growers, meth labs, and so on. Even when you go out in the wilderness too.
I have also had some interesting experiences with big cats and was thankful to have the option with me, but never had to fire a round.
If I do bring this tool with me, I bring the one designed 109 years ago. Usually with the antique I avoid undue attention.
Not so worried when in a decent sized group, we are all substandard enough looking to look like a pretty hard target to the opportunist predator.

Back in the day I carried just a 22 revolver when I hiked into the wilderness with a my old high school buddies....when in bear country you don't have to be the fastest, just not the slowest.

Now because of sensitivities as they are, it is far easier to carry, or have within arms reach, a knife pretty much 24/7. You never know when you need to open that next Amazon box, so best be prepared.

Cheers

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@JimBill Knives that is a whole other discussion, but I carry a 40 year old Buck 110 and a 45 year old Gerber Mk1. The Gerber is in a modern sheath canted at about 40 deg, slides in right beside the seat belt nice as you please.

Cav 3724

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Coronado California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
C
It looks like a green/black assault air rifle to me. When you get hit with the air gun, does it make one damn bit of difference whether it goes whoosh because of air, or bang because of gunpowder ? To me dead is dead, doesn't make a difference what did it.

JANITO33

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Miami Gardens, FL, USA
First Name
Alexandro
Last Name
Caraballo
Member #

Firearms are one more tool in me Jeep, whether you carry it or not is a personal decision, but if you carry it always check the laws and regulations of the site

WY_Tigger

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Burghard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7YKP
When I lived in Alaska I carried an 1895 Guide Gun in 45/70 when hiking in the wilderness. This is a hunting rifle in the US, but not sure about how Canada classifies them.

Not sure about Canada or the lower 48, but if you killed a bear in Alaska, you had to remove the hide and tongue and turn them into the Troopers. Not sure if this is still the case as it has been a few years, but something to think about.

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I usually carry a small .380 (my EDC). When heading out west where there's more wildlife to be mildly concerned about, I carry a .357. I sometimes think I'm being silly for carrying at all. But last year while camping remotely in MN (where my CCW is not recognized), I was unarmed aside from a hunting knife and some joker decided to try to break into my rig with me inside. A sleepless night followed where I wished very badly for my gun.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Always have a G19 or G17 on hand usually when I travel I toss a 5.56 rifle in there either one of my ARs or my KELTEC SU16C which I like for it's compactness and lightweight.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Always have a G19 or G17 on hand usually when I travel I toss a 5.56 rifle in there either one of my ARs or my KELTEC SU16C which I like for it's compactness and lightweight.

Great choices. My personal handgun preferences are Springfield XD's, they fit my hand better that Glocks. I carry either an XDE 9MM or an XD-M 9MM depending on the situation. In addition I used to keep either my 5.56 or my Benelli tactical 12G in the rig but recently I switched to this. Kel Tec Sub 2000. It's a little easier to keep out of sight in the rig and shoots 9MM, same as my pistols.

Sub2000.JPGSub20002.JPG