Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
Beg to differ. They have dropped bears easy. It's not a.177 cal can ripper. Go do some research.

I did some research and an Umarex Hammer .510/.50 PCP Air Rifle fires a 50 caliber slugs downrange at 760fps with 700 FPE, and a 250gr slug at 1,000 fps.
A 12 gauge 2 3/4" slug (.79 caliber or 20mm ) achieves a velocity of approximately 1,560 fps with a muzzle energy of 2,363 ft. lbs.

I'd buy a slug gun and forget the air rifle

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I do. What I bring depends on where I'm going and who's with me. An 18" barrel 12-gauge pump shotgun with slugs and buckshot is never a bad idea to sleep with. Also having a 9mm or 45 ACP handgun close by is comforting. And if my wife is with me, figure something is on my person (and possibly on hers too).

A model 92 lever action carbine in 44 Mag is also handy.

Super T

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

Georgia
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Gelarden
Member #

Again. Hi cap magazines have no place either. If you can't take down an animal with 3 shots take up knitting. Anyways. I know there will be lots of crying about people having their black guns taken away. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about protection from real threats like a bear in your campsite. The 50 cal airgun seems like a dandy choice.
You have an opinion and you believe your opinion is better and more valid than other opinions.
Got it.
Your studied, moderated, and fact based assessment of the uses of the AR series of rifles is interesting to the rest of us.

Thank you for your opinion. Glad you now 'feel' safer because a simple tool got banned and taken away from individuals who had broken no laws.

Air rifle? 3 shots. No shot over 705 ft/lbs of energy.
A 357 mag revolver with a 6" bbl and Buffalo Bore ammo puts out 750 to over 800 ft/lbs.
Even a S&W M27 or M28 has 6 shots. Maybe a better choice, but I have no idea what pistols Canadians are allowed to own and how/where they can carry them.

Anyhow....
I carry an AR when I camp/overland, unless I'm in a state that specifically has limitations for that system. I've used a 50 Beowulf upper to hunt hogs and deer - it would also be adequate in bear country. Typically I'd keep this locked in the truck and just carry a pistol when I hike or fish.

Honestly I think an AR or an AR pistol with a 5.56 upper and a higher 'X' caliber upper (depending on needs for hunting) would give you 3 caliber choices - 5.56/ 22 LR (with the kit) and your 'X' caliber - and be pretty handy....and fun. My teenage daughters grew up shooting AR's with 22 LR kits.

Brilliant fun and built a skill they'll have forever.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Super T we (Canadians) can own pistols but range use only. The firearm of choice is a short barreled shotgun, 14 inch barrel 5 shot in my case, or a large caliber lever action. Given the current goverment madness show long those will last is anyone guess. But nothing up here can be used for self defense except against wild life, and the general rule of thumb is clear danger to you or your family. Shooting a bear rooting through your cooler would get you charged. My 12 gauge is more of a survival tool I carry a variety of ammo that lets me take anything from grouse (really just hit them with a stick) to deer. But I travel well off the beaten path and often have zero cell or VHF and Sat is pretty iffy in a lot of area up here, to much mountain not enough sky. So if need to hunt I can.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I did some research and an Umarex Hammer .510/.50 PCP Air Rifle fires a 50 caliber slugs downrange at 760fps with 700 FPE, and a 250gr slug at 1,000 fps.
A 12 gauge 2 3/4" slug (.79 caliber or 20mm ) achieves a velocity of approximately 1,560 fps with a muzzle energy of 2,363 ft. lbs.

I'd buy a slug gun and forget the air rifle
Yes, I have one of those but if it's not hunting season, you are SOL in carrying them. That's why the air gun is intriguing. But probably better off with bangers and spray.

Reactions: PCO6

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Up in Canada you have a capacity of 5 in a shotgun and hunting rifles right? I still say more is better and I do not see the benefit of the air rifle vs tried and true shotgun loads. If you are concerned about actual defense then I’m still saying shotgun + training is the best bet. Especially if you have family. Why take chances. Btw if you do have family then they also need training and safety education whether it’s air rifle or not.

What is your biggest draw towards this air rifle anyway? It looks fun for sure but...
Being able to carry in off hunting season. We are allowed to take air guns with us.

• Haha
Reactions: DMS1

Jeepa0lllllll0

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Anaheim, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Agostino
Member #

I don’t own an AR15. What’s the difference between an AR15 and a semi auto gun that doesn’t look like an assault rifle? Share the same caliber, same clip, same action. What’s the difference between 4 ar15’s stolen and 4 semi auto hunting riffles? Again knee jerk reaction without thinking this whole thing through COMPLETELY. Guns are scary regardless of what the stock looks like.

im not going into this any farther and sorry for the de-railing.
Very well said VI Overlander!... basically tactical weapon really only means having the ability to add accessories by way of mounting rail..thank you for that post
Cheers

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Who carrys a firearm with you for protection while camping? I have not in the past, however, bear activity seems to be increasing around the areas I camp in the past little while.
Autism Family Travels - I think your original question should have been ... "Who carries a firearm with you for protection while camping in Canada?" I'm sure you'll agree our options are limited.

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
Bear bangers are very effective for those not wanting to pack heat. We carry bangers, spray and an assisted knife. Banger first, then spray right before getting pounced (only effective at short distance) and a knife for last defence. The best defence though is education and knowing when bears are more active and how to avoid encounters, same with cougars but they are far more unpredictable. This is the first year we are planning to pack a firearm for camping, looking at a defender with bird/slug combo. If I was camping in griz country all the time there would be most defiantly a gun with us. My one encounter with a griz was the scariest encounter of my life.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We only have black bears which as far as I know from doing some research and being out around them are more timid and afriad of humans than the grizzly. I may be wrong in that but it's what I have observed. Cougars, I am glad we have "none". Put in quotation marks as there have been sightings of them around here but none have been confirmed. One was seen by one person on snowmobile and said was very dark color almost black. Another was seen lying in the road and captured on iphone by a delivery driver. However, none have been confirmed. I do not doubt they are here. We have wolves on the island again now too. Now confirmed, however I saw one in 1994 while I was on snowmobile riding across a pond. it was running next to me. It was massive. Not a coyote, fox etc. It was the biggest "dog" I have ever seen.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

VI Overlander - If I told my wife I was taking a gun on our next camping trip she'd refuse to go. I have question … where do you plan to buy your gun!? :grinning:

Reactions: VI Overlander

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
Black bears are predictable until you come across and old boar or a sow with cubs, the later being the worst. I have a spot I fish and a black bear sow brings her young cubs down, every year, 5ish pm, like a clock. Thankfully she is always on the other side of the river and why I have yet to take my raft to that side, lol. It’s hers. Wolves and cougars, if you see them it may be time to react as they have been tracking you and will need to establish your rank on the food chain. It’s very important to also know your escape routes and don’t put yourself in a situation where you can get blocked/trapped.
D8FF9C07-F0E1-401E-9BF8-E855EEB06D46.png

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
VI Overlander - If I told my wife I was taking a gun on our next camping trip she'd refuse to go. I have question … where do you plan to buy your gun!? :grinning:
somewhere local, not cabelas or bass pro. Going to take the PAL course again with my wife, haven’t taken it since I was a kid. She went to a gun introduction course at a local range and loved it. Apparently she is a better bird shot than me.....loves them clay pigeons

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
You need to have the talk about ownership and the person behind the trigger is to worry about, not the gun. But I do get it, we had a camping trip in the fall where a pack of coyotes came into camp and were nosing the tent trying to smell/get in. Of course I had 2 mini wiener dogs in the tent everything I could do to keep them quite, ferocious little dogs they are. Anyways that was the last time we slept on the ground, pick your battles as I say

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

If I was worried about animals, I would be carrying a 45 70 lever action, simple, plenty of knock down, plenty of rounds. I have a friend who is a packer in Jackson, MN. the firearm on his horse is 45 70. He has put down a moose running amuck in his camp and going after his horses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arailt and 510Steve