Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

CubbyRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Harro
Member #

I don’t own an AR15. What’s the difference between an AR15 and a semi auto gun that doesn’t look like an assault rifle? Share the same caliber, same clip, same action. What’s the difference between 4 ar15’s stolen and 4 semi auto hunting riffles? Again knee jerk reaction without thinking this whole thing through COMPLETELY. Guns are scary regardless of what the stock looks like.

im not going into this any farther and sorry for the de-railing.
Again. Hi cap magazines have no place either. If you can't take down an animal with 3 shots take up knitting. Anyways. I know there will be lots of crying about people having their black guns taken away. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about protection from real threats like a bear in your campsite. The 50 cal airgun seems like a dandy choice.
Up in Canada you have a capacity of 5 in a shotgun and hunting rifles right? I still say more is better and I do not see the benefit of the air rifle vs tried and true shotgun loads. If you are concerned about actual defense then I’m still saying shotgun + training is the best bet. Especially if you have family. Why take chances. Btw if you do have family then they also need training and safety education whether it’s air rifle or not.

What is your biggest draw towards this air rifle anyway? It looks fun for sure but...

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
Again. Hi cap magazines have no place either. If you can't take down an animal with 3 shots take up knitting. Anyways. I know there will be lots of crying about people having their black guns taken away. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about protection from real threats like a bear in your campsite. The 50 cal airgun seems like a dandy choice.
the last time I had a bear in my campsite runnpig a muck on our cooking appliances I opened the door, shot a bear banger and I didn’t see yogi for the rest of the trip. And any air gun isn’t going to do shit with the hide on a bear

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I do not carry most of the time. I will if going to AK. I will. I spend a fair amount of time in Baja and Mexico is no gun for the most part. I have 2 friends in AK. one carries a 12 ga Rem. 870 the other carries a AK 47. with a 20" barrel. He like the 20 round mags and being able to reach out 50 yards, he is better with AK as opposed to a handgun.
I would not want a .50 airgun mixing with a bear.
Taking away AR and AK style firearms is about control not safety. The reason they are so poplar is they are fun to shoot.
Nobody is going to change anybodies mind about firearms here.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Your .50 cal airgun will do nothing more than piss off ANY bear. Good luck with that.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
I'm really here nor there on the matter. I personally have been trying to recently decide on which to purchase from airgundepot. I also understand your feelings about hi capacity magazines. Outside of LEO/Military it's a bit much. But those hi capacity magazines and AR style rifles aren't the problem. Just as much damage can be done with any caliber of any platform. It's just easier to attack something that has been labeled an "assault rifle" which actually isn't what AR stands for. Back on track to my point though, I believe in staying safe from potential threats. Do I carry an AR with me when I'm out camping? No. Its not practical but as VI Overlander stated, there are plenty of other platforms that run the same exact caliber and magazine options as AR. I agree with you that bears, coyotes, wolves, and other forms of potential animal threats need to be kept in mind. But people with ill intent with or without guns can be much worse. Whether anyone has an air gun, firearm, bow and arrow, whatever, I just hope they have basic common sense along with the sense to train and make good decisions.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Sounds
Exactly. To bad America could not get on board and do the same thing. We just banned all ar-15 style crap up here too. No need to have stuff like that. Airguns are fine as you can't really kill anyone in mass quantities with those. I have 6 firearms, 2 30-06, 12 shotguns and 2 .22 cal for hunting. They are safe as they are a tool for gathering food. For shooting target practice and fun, airguns are the deal for that since you can have fun in realitve safety.
I don’t think you should be allowed to have any weapon - airgun, shotgun, knife, stick, or rock. You good with that?

As for me, I take a 10mm whenever I’m in bear country. Otherwise, I think 9 mm is fine.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
the last time I had a bear in my campsite runnpig a muck on our cooking appliances I opened the door, shot a bear banger and I didn’t see yogi for the rest of the trip. And any air gun isn’t going to do shit with the hide on a bear
Again, go do some research. It packs a serious punch. But thst being said I completely forgot about bear bangers

• Haha
Reactions: DMS1 and Dru13

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

And where do these weapons come from. NOT ALL FROM USA. just last month 4 AR 15s were stolen from a legal gun owner in NS. SO....YES this DOES keep Canadians safer. Sorry AR owners are butthurt. Get pellet versions...they offer the same feel, however the dont go bang.
I am not interested in starting a shouting match, but am all on board for a sensible debate. Having said that, please provide actual scientific data that shows how keeping any legal semi-automatic rifle (including an AR-15 or variant) out of the hands of law abiding licensed Canadian gun owners (such as myself) will keep Canadians safer, including in relative terms to keeping other legally obtained items out the hands of Canadians. I will put my daily criminal checked law abiding status up against any non-licensed non-gun owner in Canada

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

this gun legislation does nothing to lower gun crime rates. Criminals do not buy registered guns nor do they register said firearm. The only thing this does is make some people sleep better at night. Ignorance is bliss.
Next up is the Liberal's legislation on hand guns which is a much bigger problem in urban centres. That is who they are pandering to and they will ride this issue right up to the next election. They have talked about giving municipalities the ability to pass by-laws to prohibit hand guns or not. This will further divide the urban and rural folk which is their plan. Those who refuse to educate themselves have already made their minds up.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I always have a 20 round mag in my Sig 226 and can of bear spray in my rig. Sometime I have a 10 inch Remington 870 shotgun with a pistol grip in a holster behind the passenger seat too.

I have no fear of bears (I do have respect) and actually find them pleasant to be around I have never felt endangered by one and if I did I would prefer using bear spray first and a gun as a last resort.

My high capacity Sig is needed more for an unwelcome 2 legged intruder.

I think it is very sad and confrontational someone felt hostile enough to politicize and start attacking people about having an AR 15 This has nothing to do with this thread and they should be banned or at least penalized for derailing this thread.

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I always have a 20 round mag in my Sig 226 and can of bear spray in my rig. Sometime I have a 10 inch Remington 870 shotgun with a pistol grip in a holster behind the passenger seat too.

I have no fear of bears (I do have respect) and actually find them pleasant to be around I have never felt engendered by one and if I did I would prefer using bear spray first and a gun as a last resort.

My high capacity Sig is needed more for an unwelcome 2 legged intruder.

I think it is very sad and confrontational someone felt hostile enough to politicize and start attacking people about having an AR 15 This has nothing to do with this thread and they should be banned or at least penalized for derailing this thread.
Nice to have options. Ours are limited and getting smaller. We carry bear spray too but have never had to use it. They must know we have it. As for 2 legged intruders, that's never been a problem.