Rank III

Enthusiast III

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Dashney
Member #

My wife and I are in the midst of planning our 25 day trip from Alberta, Canada to various areas of Western USA. One area of course is Moab. We already have our entry pass to The Arches, and plan to do Zion and a few other areas in Utah. One area I was contemplating is a perhaps a 1 night/2-day trip on the White Rim Trail. If we did that, we would have our trailer with us as our '21 JLUR isn't outfitted for overnight trips and we don't want to bring our ground camping gear.

My question is this: Our trailer is a custom off-road 5'x8' teardrop with an overall length of just under 16' (see photo). I'm curious if anyone has done it with a similar sized trailer?

Many thanks!

P.S. Trailer is not done in the photo, that was the day I drove 900km to get it. I have been outfitting it since November '21 in preparation for our April '22 trip. Full build here: Northern Teardrop Trailer X North 53 Overland - Semi-Custom Northern Teardrop Trailer Build - Alberta, Canada

IMG_2021112110524310.JPG

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
First off, do you have your camping reservations for the White Rim Rd already? If not, you may find them difficult to get. We camped two nights last March and wished we'd had 3.

Going by the photo, my initial concern is the length of your tongue. I fear you'll have a tough time in tight corners dropping the trailer tire off the trail. I would want that tongue length to be such that the trailer axle tracks no wider than the Jeep. That length might also contribute to some break over issues.

We ran White Rim clockwise and climbing the hogbacks was the only time I recall I needed 4WD. We did meet a trailer in the opposite direction not far after that section, but I have no idea how he did.

North53Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Troy
Last Name
Dashney
Member #

First off, do you have your camping reservations for the White Rim Rd already? If not, you may find them difficult to get. We camped two nights last March and wished we'd had 3.

Going by the photo, my initial concern is the length of your tongue. I fear you'll have a tough time in tight corners dropping the trailer tire off the trail. I would want that tongue length to be such that the trailer axle tracks no wider than the Jeep. That length might also contribute to some break over issues.

We ran White Rim clockwise and climbing the hogbacks was the only time I recall I needed 4WD. We did meet a trailer in the opposite direction not far after that section, but I have no idea how he did.
Thanks. Our tongue may look long that's only cause the trailer isn't done. There is a custom tongue box for fridge/battery going between the habitat and vertical post for the spare tire carrier in front. During our design we looked at overall length, etc of other trailers such as Off-Grid & Mission. That said, It might be a bit longer than a Patriot Camper. I wanted to ensure that when travelling we could open the rear gate of the Jeep without having to disconnect the trailer.

I appreciate the feedback. I suspect we wont' even have time to do it this trip as it's 2-3 days on its own (3 preferable as you mentioned) and we have some other stuff planned. I hadn't got a permit yet as we are just starting our planning.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Thanks. Our tongue may look long that's only cause the trailer isn't done. There is a custom tongue box for fridge/battery going between the habitat and vertical post for the spare tire carrier in front. During our design we looked at overall length, etc of other trailers such as Off-Grid & Mission. That said, It might be a bit longer than a Patriot Camper. I wanted to ensure that when travelling we could open the rear gate of the Jeep without having to disconnect the trailer.

I appreciate the feedback. I suspect we wont' even have time to do it this trip as it's 2-3 days on its own (3 preferable as you mentioned) and we have some other stuff planned. I hadn't got a permit yet as we are just starting our planning.
Maybe it is an optical illusion and as you get your front racks on the tongue won't look as long. That being said I'm still curious where your trailer wheels track compared to your Jeep in a tight turn. But in most places you'll be absolutely fine.....

I look forward to hearing more about your trip! What other areas do you have in mind?

North53Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Troy
Last Name
Dashney
Member #

Maybe it is an optical illusion and as you get your front racks on the tongue won't look as long. That being said I'm still curious where your trailer wheels track compared to your Jeep in a tight turn. But in most places you'll be absolutely fine.....

I look forward to hearing more about your trip! What other areas do you have in mind?
Thanks. It tracks pretty tight. I haven't measured it but have been meaning too as soon as it's out of the garage next month for the next phase.

Our trip is 25 days from Canada. A nice combination of Public Lands, developed campgrounds and a hotel at the half-way point. Stops include the following or areas around:
- Whitefish, MT
- Salmon, ID
- Provo/Salt Lake City, UT
- Moab/Arches, UT
- Valley of the Gods, UT
- Zion, UT
- Valley of Fire, NV
- Palm Springs (hotel)
- Malibu (Malibu RV Park)
- Boothe Napa Valley State Park,
- Coos Bay, OR
- Portland, OR
- Christina Lake, British Columbia

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
We did the trail from the Shafer Switchbacks to Murphy's Hogback about 7 weeks ago, in a truck camper - total length 22'. Cannot speak to the trail from MHB continuing west. You're going to have issues with approach/departure in a few spots due to the length of your tongue. There are a couple spots where you might have an issue with tight turns. But you know, lots of people told us our truck/camper combo wouldn't handle it, yet we did. So nothing ventured?

But as noted above, better get cracking on reservations! Hope you get to try it, it's a tremendous road!

Reactions: 200LC

North53Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Troy
Last Name
Dashney
Member #

We did the trail from the Shafer Switchbacks to Murphy's Hogback about 7 weeks ago, in a truck camper - total length 22'. Cannot speak to the trail from MHB continuing west. You're going to have issues with approach/departure in a few spots due to the length of your tongue. There are a couple spots where you might have an issue with tight turns. But you know, lots of people told us our truck/camper combo wouldn't handle it, yet we did. So nothing ventured?

But as noted above, better get cracking on reservations! Hope you get to try it, it's a tremendous road!
Thanks for the feedback. The more we look at it, we are going to put it on our list for our next trip to UT. We might tight on time for other areas we have to be in. We'd rather push it to our next trip, then to rush through it on this one. But it will be the top of the next UT trip.

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Good decision! This is not a trail to rush on, but we did see people doing just that. Take at least 3 days and space your campsites so that you don't end up with a sixty-mile day followed by a 5-mile day! Take the time to take photographs because you never know if you're going to return for a second trip. And judging from your itinerary, you've got plenty lined up as it is. You may need reservations in a lot of those places. Enjoy!

Reactions: 200LC

200LC

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hord
Member #

@Mustang03 looking at your avatar pic is that a Lance 825? and a Ram 2500? We ordered a lance 825 about a month ago they said it will arrive April or May. I also have a Ram 2500, this is great maybe I can chat with you sometime as to where you've been in the camper in terms of off-road? Wife and I are anxious to get out there in the camper.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We have done the WRT twice. You will find that 3 days 2 nights just isn’t enough time. 3 nights on the trail is just about perfect, yet the next time we go it’ll be for 4 nights. 3 nights and choosing the proper campsites along the way gives you plenty of time to go down Lathrop canyon before your first camp. Next day you’ll have enough time to visit White Crack, then continue on up to the Murphy camps. Next day continue heading north to Potatoe Bottom, if you break camp early enough, you’ll have time to go out to Taylor Camp, then head back and continue north out of the park. Next time we go we’ll be staying at Taylor the 4th night. Do not hurry. There are way too many things to see that will leave you awestruck and you don’t want to hurry the experience. Your trailer will limit your exploring. That tongue is waaay too long. My wheel base on the vehicle is 112”. From the rear axle of the vehicle to the trailer axle is another 126”. I have just enough room for the swing out tire carrier to open. As is, our trailer goes anywhere the vehicle can go. In fact, there is only one section I’ve ever been on where I have to break out the highlift, jack the rear of the trailer up and shove it around, because it is a pull up and back down switchback. Good luck !!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We have done the WRT twice. You will find that 3 days 2 nights just isn’t enough time. 3 nights on the trail is just about perfect, yet the next time we go it’ll be for 4 nights. 3 nights and choosing the proper campsites along the way gives you plenty of time to go down Lathrop canyon before your first camp. Next day you’ll have enough time to visit White Crack, then continue on up to the Murphy camps. Next day continue heading north to Potatoe Bottom, if you break camp early enough, you’ll have time to go out to Taylor Camp, then head back and continue north out of the park. Next time we go we’ll be staying at Taylor the 4th night. Do not hurry. There are way too many things to see that will leave you awestruck and you don’t want to hurry the experience. Your trailer will limit your exploring. That tongue is waaay too long. My wheel base on the vehicle is 112”. From the rear axle of the vehicle to the trailer axle is another 126”. I have just enough room for the swing out tire carrier to open. As is, our trailer goes anywhere the vehicle can go. In fact, there is only one section I’ve ever been on where I have to break out the highlift, jack the rear of the trailer up and shove it around, because it is a pull up and back down switchback. Good luck !!

Once again great advice

Reactions: Mustang03

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
@Mustang03 looking at your avatar pic is that a Lance 825? and a Ram 2500? We ordered a lance 825 about a month ago they said it will arrive April or May. I also have a Ram 2500, this is great maybe I can chat with you sometime as to where you've been in the camper in terms of off-road? Wife and I are anxious to get out there in the camper.
It is a Lance 650 on a Ram 3500 diesel SRW. The only modifications to it are Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks, a Hellwig sway bar, and a set of Supersprings (SSA-24). Yeah, we know, we're seriously over-trucked but we never have to strain to make a hill!

If you're new to truck campers, make sure to check out the Truck Camper Adventure website. A ton of good advice from friendly people. (web site: Home - Truck Camper Adventure ) Be sure to register for the forum - it's a good place to ask questions. There's a section on the Home page for destinations - we contributed an article on White Pocket about six months ago, here's a video on it: White Pocket on Vimeo ( Your truck/camper could make it in there - air down to 40 lbs. ) Check out the article on the TCA Rally at Quartzsite next month - they capped sign-ups at 300 truck campers! (free to sign up, btw)

Sure, be happy to chat about destinations -- welcome to the world of truck campers!
Bryan & Susan

200LC

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hord
Member #

@Mustang03 thanks so much for the info, funny I happen to find Truck Camper Adventuress site a couple weeks ago yes lots of good info there. I appreciate your response back I don't want to hijack the thread so I will keep it short and keep you in mind down the road. Thx again

Reactions: Mustang03