Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Which would be better to get a Macbook or a I pad 12. Looking for something to be able to edit and print pictures from. I'm just a beginner at this and learning on my own via You Tube.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

I definitely prefer working off a Macbook. More versatile, better performance and better storage options. I've done minor editing an iPad but its not my favorite. I use Lightroom to manage my photo library and do all my editing and while it works on all my devices, laptop is still my go-to. You might find that you prefer the iPad though, see if you can borrow them and try them both. You may also want to check out fstoppers.com and petapixel.com, they are some popular photography blogs.

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
I have used both a MacBook Pro and a iPad with Apple Pencil. I have used lightroom, photoshop, and affinity for editing. I prefer using the MacBook Pro for heavy edits for more power and I like having more tools or the layout of the tools in the software. For quick easy edits that really only need a little touch up and for social media a iPad is fine.

As a beginner I would start with whatever you have. You can edit with Lightroom on your phone and learn the basics of it for free. Then you can upgrade to the subscription to unlock all the advanced features. You will also see the same features on your phone as you will see on a iPad so it will give you a idea if you want more from the OS X version.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

ipad is easier to charge off 12V. macbooks need 120V.

I have both but never take the macbook on the road. I use the ipad mini exclusively camping.
When I get home, I transfer it all to my macbook.

What are you taking pictures with? I use a Nikon DSLR.
Are you on the road for months at a time? or just weeks?

ps, I never spend time editing or downloading or even looking at those pictures while travelling. I know that is rare, but I hate the thought of spending hours on the computer rather than exploring or just watching culture go by. I have a few extra memory cards for those trips when I take more than 1000 pictures lol. I used 3 cards in India, downloading them when I got home a month later.

Personal preference.....
Editing is definitely "easier" on a macbook with more options too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Odinsink

Rank I

Contributor II

North Port, FL
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Burkett
Member #

I use a Surface book. It lets me draw on the screen with a pen and still have shortcuts with the keyboard. I use light room and photoshop on my photos so being able to use the pen instead of the mouse is a huge benefit

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

ipad is easier to charge off 12V. macbooks need 120V.

I have both but never take the macbook on the road. I use the ipad mini exclusively camping.
When I get home, I transfer it all to my macbook.

What are you taking pictures with? I use a Nikon DSLR.
Are you on the road for months at a time? or just weeks?

ps, I never spend time editing or downloading or even looking at those pictures while travelling. I know that is rare, but I hate the thought of spending hours on the computer rather than exploring or just watching culture go by. I have a few extra memory cards for those trips when I take more than 1000 pictures lol. I used 3 cards in India, downloading them when I got home a month later.

Personal preference.....
Editing is definitely "easier" on a macbook with more options too.
Going to be shooting with a Canon Rebel XL, won’t be traveling to far at first. Probably weekend trips and week trips as I get better.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We use a Macbook Pro with Lightroom. This gives good file management and we can store the photos in an external hard drive which we can then connect to another laptop if necessary (we have far more photos than the laptop hard drive can handle). We carry an iPad but don;t use it for photos.

Reactions: Dlnuckolls

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
I also would say you should use whichever tools you have and are familiar with. If your looking for new tools, I use my MacBook Pro for all my major editing due to the power and tools available. I don’t always carry it with me, but for its capabilities, it should not be ignored. As a side note, the battery life is incredible as well.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

MacBook for major edits and putting together videos. I use my pad for Maps and social stuff. If you don’t mind waiting for processing ether will do. I understand the cabling has changed on the (latest this month) MacBooks.

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

If you are going to spend your time working on it from home, definitely go with the Macbook. It has many more options to use for editing. If you are going to be doing it on the move, go with the iPad. I use a iPad Pro for work and it definitely is nice but does lack some of the extra features the MacBook can do. I'm not an apple guy personally, and prefer samsung products, but I have to admit, for editing, apple is definitely the way to go. They just do better at editing. Others are catching up but apple is still ahead of the pack on editing.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Macbook for at home. In the field the iPad can work well. There are plenty of photo and video editing apps. I personally hate taking my Macbook with me on the trail. Plenty of USB C charging options for the Macbooks these days though.

I think it really comes down to when and where will you be doing the bulk of your editing? I have a iPad mini on my drone because it is way more convenient than my phone. It was purchased solely for that purpose. In a pinch I can download direct from the drone (slow!) or use a card reader with either iPad, make quick edits, and post to the "gram" or wherever else. However I prefer to do more detailed editing at home on my iMac. (Yeah I have one of those too, I fully expect Apple to give me lots of money back to replenish my retirement account. You will do that won't you Apple?)

Contributor III

Nepal
First Name
Christophe
Last Name
Noel
You can do quite a bit with even a good phone, wifi-enabled camera, and Lightroom. This was edited with...my finger...on a Samsung phone. For most of my work I use either a Mackbook Pro in my office, or a Surface Pro when I travel. I'm really looking forward to new tools like the Surface Duo for travel edits. Again, this edited with my finger on a phone. Cheap phone at that.

Noel_Nepal_Traverse-20.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You can do quite a bit with even a good phone, wife-enabled camera, and Lightroom. This was edited with...my finger...on a Samsung phone. For most of my work I use either a Mackbook Pro in my office, or a Surface Pro when I travel. I'm really looking forward to new tools like the Surface Duo for travel edits. Again, this edited with my finger on a phone. Cheap phone at that.

View attachment 169512
Proving once again it is not the tool, IT IS GUY WITH THE TOOL. This is a great image, I don’t how you enhanced it, it’s great.