Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I have both Apple iPad and Samsung tablet. On the iPad I use a Dual gps puck. Honestly imho it’s a pain. I find myself migrating more to the tablet. It’s built in gps works great and super easy to link to my Garmin Inreach if needed. Gaia software on both.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I use BCN instead of gaia because of all the extra costs for it to do what I want. BCN works for free, and I have Canada Topo that I only paid like 5.99 for back in the day. Add in Here for on road Nav with routing etc, and I am set. I am looking at putting Joying 10" screens in both our rigs. I found them last night and they run android for their "tablet" duties and you also have carplay for when you want your music etc. I think it's a best of both worlds integrated solution.

Reactions: Downs and Schake

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
This question is one I’ve been struggling with. On my run to the Arctic Circle, the Hummer has a Pioneer AVIC-8200nex which I love using CarPlay. But the view was limiting at times. My plan is: Garmin inReach Explorer+ With my iPad Pro and Gaia software. The iPad Pro has a GPS. Use the XR as a backup. I live in an Apple ecosystem.
You really can’t get a better setup than this. Gaia works with CarPlay now so if you have Gaia on your phone with maps downloaded you can use that as a 2nd screen if you wish.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
You really can’t get a better setup than this. Gaia works with CarPlay now so if you have Gaia on your phone with maps downloaded you can use that as a 2nd screen if you wish.
Thx. still learning the ropes on this one. My learnings here will be incorporated in my planned overland build.

Reactions: Tommy9610

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

I use ToughPad FZ-G1 from Panasonic and put Gaja, Ozi and AutoMapa and love it how rigid this unit is.
Old stuff but works on WIN so i do not bather about android's issues or iOS's rows
Still I can run my office as ussual so I can go out any time ;-)

harley97

Rank III

Advocate I

Sun City, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Hinton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DKV
Service Branch
USCG
I started with an Ipad mini, then a fire tablet and back to an ipad mini. The Dual GPS puck works well with the Ipad, but wont connect to the fire tablet. I pair this with Gaia maps. I have this mount
I am happy with the setup, although I learned that Gaia only works with IOS 10

CMac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McIntyre
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UNO
Service Branch
USN
An Apple user for 20 years, the product and service levels have plummeted since Steve Jobs passed away. 2 MacBookAirs in 10 years and this one is dying at 5 years old. My iphone quit taking pictures at 3 years old, all Apple does is recommend the newset model. So I use my 20 year old Nikon.

My next computer will not come from an Apple Store. But I HATE shopping.

My company supplies me with a Surface Pro...it's brand new, and it's laggy, it locks up and has all sorts of problems accessing MS SharePoint from a secure network.

Meanwhile, my five-year old iPhone is chugging away, along with my wife's three-year old MacBook Pro.

Reactions: m_lars

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
My company supplies me with a Surface Pro...it's brand new, and it's laggy, it locks up and has all sorts of problems accessing MS SharePoint from a secure network.

Meanwhile, my five-year old iPhone is chugging away, along with my wife's three-year old MacBook Pro.
I have never seen a laggy surface pro. You must have a defective unit. My cheap dell 2 in 1 is fast and not laggy while my son's macbook air is pure sewage. Slow, tempermental etc.

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
I ran a separate Ram mounted 7" tablet for years with GaiaGps until Gaia became CarPlay compatible a number of months ago. That allowed me to lose the tablet for a less cluttered cockpit. I don't plan on running an additional tablet ever again.

Reactions: Downs

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
I am running a Samsung Galaxy Tab 6 , 128gb built in, 400gb sd card . It is cellular and runs on the Verizon network, which in my experience seems to have the best nationwide coverage in the US anyway. Gaia runs on it fine with zero issues, as do all of the google products. The biggest problem that I have is trying to find a mount to bolt it into a jeep TJ so it doesn't get tossed around.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I ran a separate Ram mounted 7" tablet for years with GaiaGps until Gaia became CarPlay compatible a number of months ago. That allowed me to lose the tablet for a less cluttered cockpit. I don't plan on running an additional tablet ever again.
I am sure I asked you this before but I cannot remember. Can you access everything in carplay as you would on the ipad? Also, is there a torque pro equivalent on ios that comes through carplay as well?

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
You may have to get crafty. If you don't mind popping 2 screws in a dash plate somewhere, you can use ram mounts and have a solid mount.
If you have ever seen my lil Eugene ( the jeep) you would know that I give not a wit about bolting something either on to it or in it, the problem is where? Between my 2 gps units, clinometer, cb, gmrs, 2m/70cm, my phone holder, and the gopro, my cockpit is already pretty cluttered. I guess I could bolt it to the passenger side floor somehow like in a police car, but honestly I have yet to see a mount built for a jeep. I offroad this thing so it would need to be solid and not bounce around.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Using 67 Designs dual ball mount. Short carbon arm (70mm) with universal holder for my LG V40 ThinQ phone.

Adding a 67 Designs medium carbon arm (100mm) with this Joby unit for a tablet. Not sure which tablet, but a Samsung 10" with cell/A-GPS looks like the winner.

Reactions: Downs

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I am sure I asked you this before but I cannot remember. Can you access everything in carplay as you would on the ipad?
No you have to use your phone for most of the functionality. Think of CarPlay as an extended screen vs a full app.

Also, is there a torque pro equivalent on ios that comes through carplay as well?
My Kenwood radio has this baked in. It is my understanding the Alpine radio specific for ForeRunners has that as well. I would imagine most of the "smart" radios now have this.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
No you have to use your phone for most of the functionality. Think of CarPlay as an extended screen vs a full app.

My Kenwood radio has this baked in. It is my understanding the Alpine radio specific for ForeRunners has that as well. I would imagine most of the "smart" radios now have this.
OK, I will keep running my Samsung tablet. Thanks.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Used a Samsung TAB3 10inch tablet for a LONG TIME before it finally wouldn't run mapping programs worth a crap. It had problems with even google maps. Even after 2 factory resets it just wouldn't run those programs well anymore. I picked up a $75 VANKYO 7 inch Android tablet to replace it and it's sole purpose will be Jeep navigation and camp use.

I got it on Friday and have been tinkering with it all weekend. Loaded GAIA and other mapping software along with APRSDROID. Runs it all smoothly as long as you aren't running a ton of apps in the background. I'll update after I've used it for a few months but for 75 dollars I'm pretty happy. Mount is via RAM ball, 2 arms, a double ball joint in the middle and a X-Grip for small tablets.

VANKYO MATRIXPAD S7 AMAZON

Attachments