Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Currently I am using an Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8 (6th Generation) with a Garmin GLO 2 bluetooth GPS receiver. I didn't buy the Kindle specifically for this - it's just what I had lying around, but it works really well.

I am beginning to want a bigger screen, though. I will likely upgrade to an iPad at some point.

johnandashleyadventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Torrance, Los Angeles County, California, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Bianchette
Member #

We have been using an iPad mini 5 w/cellular mounted to the dash with a Carrichs tablet dash kit. Very easy install and the iPad has worked great, as long as I remember to update my maps before a spur of the moment trip :/

We use Google Maps + Gaia. I program all the waypoints into Gaia before we leave, hasn't let me down yet.

stocksj

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Brandon, Florida
First Name
James
Last Name
Stocks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4CWO
Service Branch
USArmy Retired
I have both a Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 with built-in GPS and a CF-31 rugged notebooks. Some of these can be found cheap on ebay in various level of conditions used. Some come from police or EMS use and operate on Win7 or Win10. A good option since these are shock, water, and dust proof mostly. If the batteries are good they can last from 4 to 12 hours. Best use would be to run them using a 12v connection in your car. Maybe also get a mount for your console if it doesn't take up too much space.

Reactions: Pindal

Jburns

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bothell, Wa
Member #

I am planning to pick up a new tablet or 2-in1 computer. I have been an Android smartphone user and all computers have been Windows OS

Based on your experiences, what suggestions do you have for overlanding use? Here are some criteria that I wonder about

Screen size?
Android vs Apple?
Tablet vs 2-in-1?
Need to be Ruggedized?
How much Memory?
How much RAM?
Reliability?
Other factors?
Initially bought a Samsung tablet to use for torque pro and Gaia maps. Not sure which model it’s called but similar in size to my iPad 4 mini. I’ve been using apples for so long I couldn’t stand using the Samsung.

I dont use torque pro that much. But my mini always with me. I can’t remember memory wise what it is? I know it’s one of the higher ones and cellular as well...

I have a few cases I use that are pretty tough. One similar to an otter box that has screen protector and one without.

ScoutWagon

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Coast California
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
B
I have a new Samsung tab a 8”. It’s LTE and gps capable. It’s a great little tablet. Not quite as fast doing tablety stuff as my iPad 2018 is, but works great for in Jeep duties. For 1/2 the price of a non LTE iPad mini.
I looked at going that route myself. Seems like a decent choice, and the tablet is generally well reviewed. The biggest drawback (for many) seemed to be the limited memory, at 16 gigs, but it's easily expandable via microSD.
I recently made the switch from my stock head unit to a touch screen unit with Android Auto and Apple Car Play. While I'm an android OS fan myself, it can run both in the event I ever jump ship, or have a copilot with an iOS device. This ended up costing a bit more than just a tablet and mount would have, but it makes my FJ look a little more modern, improved the sound output/quality, and I felt it was a little cleaner than trying to mount extra stuff everywhere. Don't get me wrong, a fancy cockpit with devices everywhere looks neat and all, but I like to be organized, and aftermarket streamlined mounts and the like aren't as easy to find for the FJ's since they're no longer in production.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I looked at going that route myself. Seems like a decent choice, and the tablet is generally well reviewed. The biggest drawback (for many) seemed to be the limited memory, at 16 gigs, but it's easily expandable via microSD.
I recently made the switch from my stock head unit to a touch screen unit with Android Auto and Apple Car Play. While I'm an android OS fan myself, it can run both in the event I ever jump ship, or have a copilot with an iOS device. This ended up costing a bit more than just a tablet and mount would have, but it makes my FJ look a little more modern, improved the sound output/quality, and I felt it was a little cleaner than trying to mount extra stuff everywhere. Don't get me wrong, a fancy cockpit with devices everywhere looks neat and all, but I like to be organized, and aftermarket streamlined mounts and the like aren't as easy to find for the FJ's since they're no longer in production.
I have a 64gb card in now, and I am going to swap that for a 128 gb soon. That will hold all the mapping I need. I use iphone and ipad for the time being, but if the new pixel 4a is what they are showing now, we will be switching.

Reactions: ScoutWagon

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I just ordered a Bad Elf for my wife's old wi-fi iPad 2. The cost of the gps and a truck mount for the truck is about $130 (mas o menos). The iPad had been collecting dust for several years so we decided to use it instead of buying a dedicated unit. Plus side we can still read books at camp in the evening on it.
Hope it works. lol

Reactions: smritte

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

Ibit the bullet and bought a used ipad pro 10.5 with 512 gig. pretty expensive~ 450 but when I consider allof my other failed attemps including a magellan it is jut so nice to have a big screen and somethingthat works

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I just ordered a Bad Elf for my wife's old wi-fi iPad 2. The cost of the gps and a truck mount for the truck is about $130 (mas o menos). The iPad had been collecting dust for several years so we decided to use it instead of buying a dedicated unit. Plus side we can still read books at camp in the evening on it.
Hope it works. lol
we use both an ipad 4 as well as an ipad air (one for back up in case one dies) with a bad elf and gaia. works flawlessly, my only recommendation is to make sure you have a charging port/adapter that will charge the ipad faster than it drains with the screen lit up and on. we had that issue using it for our rear view camera for the camper last year. i installed a 3 amp charging port for it and it now will charge even with it running gps while lit up bright. you may have already thought of all that, but i thought about it when i read your post and thought i would mention it in case you hadn't.

Reactions: TexasGMG

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
we use both an ipad 4 as well as an ipad air (one for back up in case one dies) with a bad elf and gaia. works flawlessly, my only recommendation is to make sure you have a charging port/adapter that will charge the ipad faster than it drains with the screen lit up and on. we had that issue using it for our rear view camera for the camper last year. i installed a 3 amp charging port for it and it now will charge even with it running gps while lit up bright. you may have already thought of all that, but i thought about it when i read your post and thought i would mention it in case you hadn't.
The bad elf lightening link lets me plug the power cord into it and charge the ipod. Will I need a different charging system?

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

The bad elf lightening link lets me plug the power cord into it and charge the ipod. Will I need a different charging system?
the one I have is a Bluetooth connection versus plugging into lightning port and charging through it. However, based on what I found with mine. If using a generic 12v to usb converter then apple lightning cable, it wouldn’t keep up with the iPad. My generic converter charged at 1.0 amps. So I wired in a higher amp charger in the car. I haven’t used that style, so yours may not have the issue. But I would test it before a long road trip unlike I did. We headed out on an 8 hour trip and discovered our problem. Lol

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
the one I have is a Bluetooth connection versus plugging into lightning port and charging through it. However, based on what I found with mine. If using a generic 12v to usb converter then apple lightning cable, it wouldn’t keep up with the iPad. My generic converter charged at 1.0 amps. So I wired in a higher amp charger in the car. I haven’t used that style, so yours may not have the issue. But I would test it before a long road trip unlike I did. We headed out on an 8 hour trip and discovered our problem. Lol
Thanks. The bad elf is supposed to arrive Wednesday. I'll get it mounted, see how it works, and how it charges.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Thanks. The bad elf is supposed to arrive Wednesday. I'll get it mounted, see how it works, and how it charges.
you’re welcome, my issue was more of the iPad not getting enough juice than anything with the bad elf. I figure it was worth mentioning in case so you can verify that it charges/maintains while using rather than discover it doesn’t at the wrong time like I did. Lol

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I'm really starting to hate Apple. I just realized my wife's old iPod, with it's 30 pin connector, isn't compatible with the bad elf. So I spent another $15.00 ordering the adapter. I'm too far in to stop now. lol

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I'm really starting to hate Apple. I just realized my wife's old iPod, with it's 30 pin connector, isn't compatible with the bad elf. So I spent another $15.00 ordering the adapter. I'm too far in to stop now. lol
To be fair, Apple retired the 30-pin connector with the end of production of the 6th-Gen iPod and iPhone 4S in September 2014. 6 years in consumer technology might as well be a lifetime. I can't fault a company selling a device marketed as "Next Generation" for not supporting a 6-year old, antiquated connector.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Android vs Apple?
An Apple user for 20 years, the product and service levels have plummeted since Steve Jobs passed away. 2 MacBookAirs in 10 years and this one is dying at 5 years old. My iphone quit taking pictures at 3 years old, all Apple does is recommend the newset model. So I use my 20 year old Nikon.

My next computer will not come from an Apple Store. But I HATE shopping.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
An Apple user for 20 years, the product and service levels have plummeted since Steve Jobs passed away. 2 MacBookAirs in 10 years and this one is dying at 5 years old. My iphone quit taking pictures at 3 years old, all Apple does is recommend the newset model.
That’s all ANY company does, we live in a throw away society. A MacBook lasting 5 years? A phone lasting 3? That’s pretty good compared to the competition.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
This question is one I’ve been struggling with. On my run to the Arctic Circle, the Hummer has a Pioneer AVIC-8200nex which I love using CarPlay. But the view was limiting at times. My plan is: Garmin inReach Explorer+ With my iPad Pro and Gaia software. The iPad Pro has a GPS. Use the XR as a backup. I live in an Apple ecosystem.