Which RTT to buy???

• HTML tutorial

Tanner Howe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rio Vista
Member #

I have an Autana Ruggedized XL that is totally worth recommending. I cant speak for the regular model, but the ruggedized model will defensively stand the test of time. How are you mounting it? I have an ARE CX HD shell with a roof rack that's supporting the tent wight internally (see pics). I have had my wife and two kids on the top with absolutely no problems...even when the kids get a crazy and start to bounce around. I like the fact that it's big enough for multiple people and strong enough to withstand abuse. Plus, Tepui tents are interchangeable with their zipper base system. As of now, I have no complaints.

Attachments

Reactions: Drifterman

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Just ordered a Tuff Stuff Ranger tent (comes with annex). Should arrive in a couple days. Will update once I get it sorted out. It was about the best value I could find in terms of quality and features for the price point.

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Just ordered a Tuff Stuff Ranger tent (comes with annex). Should arrive in a couple days. Will update once I get it sorted out. It was about the best value I could find in terms of quality and features for the price point.
Same here. Put it together, but haven't had a chance to put on roof yet...

jcline

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Rafael, CA
Member #

I have a front runner feather light, south African made one of the best and highest quality on the market. For Street camping in my pickup I fit in diagonally across the short bed

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using OB Talk mobile app
Have ya put it to the test at all? There are almost no reviews of this tent. I hadn't even considered them until I picked up some Cub and Wolf packs and some of their folding chair. They seem to have some cleaver designs.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Same here. Put it together, but haven't had a chance to put on roof yet...
We had tuff stuff, used it maybe 15 times before it got stolen, careful zipping on the cover not to catch any canvas in it, that was a real bitch. Also ours started showing wear and stretching out of the tracks at the base. Hope u guys have better luck.
Oh and we have the annex and window poles if anyone wants a deal.

Last edited:

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
For anyone in Canada, or those in the US (especially east coast) wanting a better bargain due to the "crap" Canadian exchange rate, might want to take a look at Wild Coast Tents. Website is not the best, but Peter and Trish take customer Service to a whole new level. If you have questions, call them - great people! We have the Sandpiper model and love it - lots of use and no issues. - I have no affiliation with them, other than being a happy customer.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
IMG_4194.JPG

O
n the advice of a good friend that has had a Maggiolina for 10 plus years.
I went with the Maggiolina Grand Tour Rooftop Tent with custom 4-inch mattress. I have not regretted the decision especially after the sitting in a Death Valley sand storm. The tent did not sway or rock expect when the 4Runner did because of the high winds.

ndamico

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
D'Amico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6TBF
If anyone does want to check out our tents out we frequent the Sacramento meet-ups and also off a discount to all of the nice folks here too. I love talking about our stuff and showing others what makes us different.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I have owned and used several RTT's. My preferred method of camping is to pack up every morning and head out to a new spot. So quick pitch/pack time is essential. And so is being able to store my bedding in the RTT. I much prefer the hardshell type tent. The hard shells also tend to produce less wind noise.

SpeysideAT35

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Elgin, Moray, Scotland, United Kingdom
First Name
David
Last Name
Lawson
Member #

90023B4E-005D-4557-9CA6-F03C719FCA2E.jpeg I’ve noticed that a lot of you that have posted on this thread have Tepui tents, unfortunately we don’t seem to be able to acquire them over here in uk, so have been looking at this type (picture). I think they are the same as Free Spirit Recreation ones - has anyone had any experience of them?

SpeysideAT35

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Elgin, Moray, Scotland, United Kingdom
First Name
David
Last Name
Lawson
Member #

I have the Freespirit Recreation M60 that I used on my JKU. It's of excellent quality with really fast opening and closing. I highly recommend it!
Excellent that’s good to know! We have them arriving in uk in next few weeks with added bonus of assisted opening. In the next few months we are expecting another shipment of ones with the new tri-layer lining! So looks as if I might be putting my order in.