Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Loved our Tepui Gran Sabana!! Sold it due to platform change, not dislike of the tent. If I buy again, it will be a 23Zero. They fixed a lot of the small things the others were lacking..
As mentioned, it is still just a tent that needs to dry and air out. Very loud when windy, regardless of how many bungees you tension in. We did not care what the weather was while in the tent. Unless a heavy rain, then had to pay attention to the gather water over the vestibule....

Reactions: Drifterman

Erick05GX

Rank III

Traveler I

Ended up getting an Overland Labs tent. Matt was very helpful, informative, and brought the tent to my house, set his tent up to let me check it out first. I am please with my decision. Now rushing to fabricate my roof rack to get it mounted up before next weekend I'll post pics when done.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Ended up getting an Overland Labs tent. Matt was very helpful, informative, and brought the tent to my house, set his tent up to let me check it out first. I am please with my decision. Now rushing to fabricate my roof rack to get it mounted up before next weekend I'll post pics when done.
I'm not sure what your setup is, but just as an FYI my friend runs his Tepui on the factory rails of his gx. Not the crossbars, but the rails running lengthwise. It works fine in a pinch if you've got a trip planned.

Erick05GX

Rank III

Traveler I

I figured I could, but I want to build my own rack, using the factory mounting bolts. I'll probably end up selling this one and making a different one later, this will be very basic but tough as nails. So tell you buddy. This will be a full length rack that is a direct bolt on. Will be for sale after the first of the year.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I figured I could, but I want to build my own rack, using the factory mounting bolts. I'll probably end up selling this one and making a different one later, this will be very basic but tough as nails. So tell you buddy. This will be a full length rack that is a direct bolt on. Will be for sale after the first of the year.

Nice, looking forward to see what you build.

I use the trek overland 1.3 with annex it's great it is on the heavier side as it is a nylon coated canvas material (really thick I believe it is 500denier ) and I only paid 1,500 all in straight from trek overland. I have had it cope with flash flood conditions (search Somerset levels 2014) and it has generally been a great RTT, it has been on all my cars since it's launch.

Thanks
Kyle

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Drifterman and TWT

OCD7785

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Goose Creek, SC
Member #

We have the Gordigear explorer plus and love it plenty of room to spare, it’s rock solid only 138 lbs. Well ventilated with noseeum mesh which is perfect for the southern USA bugs.
E37A3E7B-D566-4789-BE42-C42B75BEB049.jpeg

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I struggled with this a few months ago, and there are just too many options and opinions on the internet. So, I just bought the Smitybilt XL so I can get some experience. Once I know the variables that are important to me, I will sell the Smitybilt and buy something that fits my more informed criteria. Right now, the Smitybilt has delivered, except for the mattress...too hard. Swapping in the spring to a 3 inch memory foam in queen size. One thing I was sure of is that I wanted a King size tent so my wife and I could sleep on a queen size and have room for the porta-potty off the mattress (hey, I am almost 60 and have to pee several times at night, not climbing down a ladder in the middle of the night). The porta-potty has worked out very well, so the right decision. I mounted my tent low on the trailer, so had to modify the ladder, so I've now learned about ladders. Heck, even if I use the Smitybilt tent for 2 seasons and give it away, the education will mean my next tent will be exactly what I want....I mean, exactly what makes my wife the most happy, and I don't really care how much it costs, as long as my wife is happy.

It's hard to do the research without the actual experience, and that just isn't free.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Lol...so true. If wife isn't happy, she won't go. Another reason I got a roof top tent, so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground! The 23Zero and OverlandPros are the only tents I know of that come standard with thicker 3 inch matttess vs 2.5 (half an inch makes a big difference..lol..) The Tepui luxury mattress is $200 just for the mattress.

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

AN FYI, REI 20% off one full-price item begins tomorrow (11/10) and runs through the 20th. They're retailers for Tepui tents, I took advantage of this sale in the Spring of 2016. If REI doesn't exclude them from the sale, and you have a store reasonably local to you, the savings are magnified by the fact that they'll deliver to your local store for free (an additional $300 savings in my case).

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
I ordered a 'Tuff Stuff Ranger Overland" (http://amzn.to/2zyrHtc) RTT. Looked at multiple different manufacturers, and settled on this one, since it comes with the annex for $1300. Will be mounted sideways on the Gobi Stealth rack, with the opening on the passenger side. Will add an awning to the driver's side.

Buckles

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cypress, TX
Member #

I was in the market for a Tepui a few months ago and couldn’t find anyone with one in stock. I stumbled upon Pope Overland and decided to take a chance.
Ended up with their Konza model. I can’t say enough good things about it. The quality is amazing. It’s been on the back of my truck since the beginning of September and still looks brand new. Only used it for one weekend trip so far, but it performed great. Much better than sleeping on the ground.

Attachments

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
After a year looking we gave up on RTTs for now and started building a off road teardrop.

If all the companies would just be honest about the manufacture of their product it would be a easier choice.
I could swear that the CVT, GordiGear, and one called Tuff Stuff is the same exact tent just with a different name on it or in a different color and with a different price. Maybe at one of the overland shows they could all set up next to each other for a good comparison.

If I had the cash just magically appear in my account i would probably go with Tepui.

Tanner Howe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rio Vista
Member #

H
After a year looking we gave up on RTTs for now and started building a off road teardrop.

If all the companies would just be honest about the manufacture of their product it would be a easier choice.
I could swear that the CVT, GordiGear, and one called Tuff Stuff is the same exact tent just with a different name on it or in a different color and with a different price. Maybe at one of the overland shows they could all set up next to each other for a good comparison.

If I had the cash just magically appear in my account i would probably go with Tepui.
How much money do you anticipate on spending for a custom off road teardrop? Have you started yet? I would love to see the build because I was in a similar predicament...I just got careless and put a Tepui Autana XL Ruggedized on a credit card, ughh. However, I'll admit there was no buyers remorse and I F*cking love it!

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
H

How much money do you anticipate on spending for a custom off road teardrop? Have you started yet? I would love to see the build because I was in a similar predicament...I just got careless and put a Tepui Autana XL Ruggedized on a credit card, ughh. However, I'll admit there was no buyers remorse and I F*cking love it!
We are actually are building 2 seperate campers. 1 is a 6'x6'x12' that will sleep 4 and the smaller and more rugged will sleep two. The skeleton for the larger one is complete now and with the cooler weather is ready to be skinned. The smaller one is still in my head. I am a wood worker by trade so everything will be wood except for the trailers of course. Once the xl is skinned a custom trailer will be built for it and they will be mated together. As far as cost i dont really know. I tend to pass on things that say cost $100 only to build it my self for $150. But hey i built it. I know how it was built to what degree of accuracy it was built. And most important i know who to call for warranty work. Im not big into bloging vloging or floging so there usualy isn't too many photos or documentation. I'll try and keep some records on both of them an let you know how they progress.

Tanner Howe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rio Vista
Member #

We are actually are building 2 seperate campers. 1 is a 6'x6'x12' that will sleep 4 and the smaller and more rugged will sleep two. The skeleton for the larger one is complete now and with the cooler weather is ready to be skinned. The smaller one is still in my head. I am a wood worker by trade so everything will be wood except for the trailers of course. Once the xl is skinned a custom trailer will be built for it and they will be mated together. As far as cost i dont really know. I tend to pass on things that say cost $100 only to build it my self for $150. But hey i built it. I know how it was built to what degree of accuracy it was built. And most important i know who to call for warranty work. Im not big into bloging vloging or floging so there usualy isn't too many photos or documentation. I'll try and keep some records on both of them an let you know how they progress.
I know what you mean about documenting things, especially of you are always involved in projects. I'm totally interested and if you do get a chance to snap some pics, I'd love to see em.