Which rig to build and which to sell?

• HTML tutorial

Which rig should I keep?

• Total voters

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I currently own two rigs and I want to consolidate and focus on building one of them. I drive a minimum of 25k highway miles each year, but I also spend a lot of time on rough mountain and desert roads with moderate rock crawling. I generally travel with one other person and a dog.

Rig 1:
2003 Ford F-150 Lariat Extended Cab 4x4
5.4 v8, 3.55 limited slip
Chipped, CAI, 33s, 22-25 mpg hwy
Transmission rebuilt within 5k miles
265k miles
Owned outright

Rig 2:
2010 Jeep Wrangler Mountain Edition 2dr 4x4
3.8l v6, 3.73 limited slip
AEV 2.5" lift, 35s, winch, KC lights, premium soft top
Premium skid plates/armor/rear bumper, hitch rack
16-19 mpg hwy
105k miles
Lien with "affordable" payment and substantial equity

Which one do I keep and which one goes up for sale? Thanks!

JK1.jpg f150.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mobynick

mobynick

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have a 2004 Jeep TJ outlanded ($9,800 lien) and a 2006 Ford F-150 (owned no payments with New engine and tummy tuck... it in the same boat!

I love the Jeep feel and ride. The 4L in-line is great BUT...the F150 has more than double the space and work load... at this point I believe it’s on preference and comfort. I travel with my wife and Aussie plus gear and in the Jeep we MAX out the storage space.

The truck however is not affected by the overland bug because I invested so much money and time into my Jeep... now I’m thinking to sell the Jeep and start over on the truck... the truck has a new engine and about to get a new paint job ‍♂

Reactions: MtnManAlex

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I asked this question a year and a half ago, but nobody had any advice. I still haven't fully decided. haha.

In the process of comparing, I took the f150 on an easy/moderate trail to test its off-road chops. It was not terrible, but I did knock it on a few rocks which pushed me towards the Jeep. An f150 with no lift on 33s cannot compete with a lifted 2dr Jeep on the rocky narrow trails here in CO and UT. Since then, I have been using the Jeep 99.9999% of the time.

I travel with my wife and dog too and space was a regular issue in the Jeep. After a ton of trips through the southwest I have a pretty good system. Now we pack more like backpackers with "a few extra luxuries" and it goes really well. I have no desire to add things like a roof top tent because I stash my Jeep's doors in the ground tent while out exploring. Also, simply having less gear makes trips more enjoyable (in my opinion) because I don't have to spend hours packing and unpacking a bunch of junk.

I absolutely hate having a car payment, but at this point I probably won't let go of the Jeep. If I can find a good buyer for the f-150 I'll roll the proceeds into the Jeep loan (and into some more Jeep parts!).

Reactions: mobynick

SoCalGX

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Steele
Member #

I asked this question a year and a half ago, but nobody had any advice. I still haven't fully decided. haha.

In the process of comparing, I took the f150 on an easy/moderate trail to test its off-road chops. It was not terrible, but I did knock it on a few rocks which pushed me towards the Jeep. An f150 with no lift on 33s cannot compete with a lifted 2dr Jeep on the rocky narrow trails here in CO and UT. Since then, I have been using the Jeep 99.9999% of the time.

I travel with my wife and dog too and space was a regular issue in the Jeep. After a ton of trips through the southwest I have a pretty good system. Now we pack more like backpackers with "a few extra luxuries" and it goes really well. I have no desire to add things like a roof top tent because I stash my Jeep's doors in the ground tent while out exploring. Also, simply having less gear makes trips more enjoyable (in my opinion) because I don't have to spend hours packing and unpacking a bunch of junk.

I absolutely hate having a car payment, but at this point I probably won't let go of the Jeep. If I can find a good buyer for the f-150 I'll roll the proceeds into the Jeep loan (and into some more Jeep parts!).
I think you’re making the right choice!

Both are nice rigs, but the Jeep wins in terms of trail capability and fun. And you can always consider adding a small trailer to the mix if you find you need more creature comforts on longer trips down the road.

Hope the truck sale goes smoothly and you’re able to squeeze a few nice upgrades out of the proceeds! [emoji16]

mobynick

Rank 0

Traveler I

IMO...keep the paid off one. throw the money you were paying on the jeepto through into the truck. rear locker, lift, and dare I say a straight axle swap :):):)put a leer topper on it and a roof rack...good to go man
This is what I’m doing. It would be more than capable with a lift, rear locker, and even a straight axel swap and a topper OR over the bed rack I’ve seen some TACOs running them and like that look.

But yea definitely agree. Selling the Jeep and kee the truck with 65k miles on it paid off I might add.

Reactions: MtnManAlex