Which one do I keep to build into an overland trailer?

• HTML tutorial

Which trailer should I keep and build into an overland trailer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rocky Rubicon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Member #

So here is the issue, I started building an overland trailer for my Jeep TJ Rubicon, I bought the first trailer which has a 2x2 boxed frame, stainless steel sides, a flip down tail gate and a vinyl tonneau cover , I flipped the axle and installed new procomp 15x8 wheels with 31x10.50x15 all terrain tires, added a new heavy duty jack and a set of Jeep style flat fenders. Before I could build any further I ran across a beautiful fully restored M416 military trailer that has had the tailgate mod along with some nice metal fabrications, so I purchased it, now I'm not sure which trailer I should build into a overland trailer. The Stainless trailer is lighter but the M416 military trailer is ...well... an M416 military trailer! So now I must sell one of them and keep one, which one do you think I should build into an overland trailer? DSC_0331.JPG00A0A_6LBtMMFEG2x_600x450.jpg

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

So here is the issue, I started building an overland trailer for my Jeep TJ Rubicon, I bought the first trailer which has a 2x2 boxed frame, stainless steel sides, a flip down tail gate and a vinyl tonneau cover , I flipped the axle and installed new procomp 15x8 wheels with 31x10.50x15 all terrain tires, added a new heavy duty jack and a set of Jeep style flat fenders. Before I could build any further I ran across a beautiful fully restored M416 military trailer that has had the tailgate mod along with some nice metal fabrications, so I purchased it, now I'm not sure which trailer I should build into a overland trailer. The Stainless trailer is lighter but the M416 military trailer is ...well... an M416 military trailer! So now I must sell one of them and keep one, which one do you think I should build into an overland trailer? View attachment 58413View attachment 58414
The military trailer is still around for a reason....built to withstand everything you could possibly throw at it.

Rocky Rubicon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Member #

I also have this expedition trailer I built but, it takes a 3/4 or o1 ton truck to pull it and I sold my diesel truck , it has a lunette eye on the tongue. It's fully loaded with 65 gallon water tank, 100 gallon diesel tank, 4 Jerry can rack and a pretty nice HD solar system package including 2 120 watt panels on the roof, two industrial 6 volt batteries and a 2500 watt inverter. It will run a worm drive saw without slowing down! it also has an ARB Awning and a 125 cc motorcycle mounted on a custom rack on the front. Since I sold the diesel truck, it just sits in an indoor storage. It may be time to sell it to someone who will use it.
008_zps3ea8d2ef.jpg~c100.jpg 011_zpsd0c72e87.jpg~c100.jpg
018_zpsea488f87.jpg~c100.jpg

Last edited:

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

OP.. While there is a lot of love for the M416, People want them. That said, if sold, you will most likely get you monies back.

IMO. you had a plan for the other and started it. Go with it and finish it.

MtnDuck

Rank I

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wagner
Service Branch
Army Vet
The 416 is in great shape... as a collector's item. As mentioned, you can definitely get your money back out of that one.

Your stainless build is already on track for what you had planned, and I'm sure it already looks good behind your Jeep.

Sent from my E6782 using OB Talk mobile app

Rocky Rubicon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Member #

OK ….so here is what I did, I started working on the M416 so I guess that is the one I will keep, it's just to cool, the other trailer is nice but how can I not love an original 1967 M416? I relocated the trailer's brake lights so I can mount the propane bottle setup there, I also cut off one of the handles in front of the fender to be able to mount a 5 gal Jerry water can upright, so now that it is changed I'm going to build it! The Stainless trailer is still up for sale though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Iwata77 and Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

OK ….so here is what I did, I listed both of them for sale in the Overland Buy Sell Trade section, under Trailers. What ever one sells first, I will build the other one!
Just remember how capable our new rigs are....they did more with less back in the day.1053f0aae3aceab4f8ef27ee4713a6f1.jpg

Reactions: GHQ1