which of the 3 racks

• HTML tutorial

Uncle O

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Atlanta, Georgia
Member #

hello everyone. its time for this year's additions to my 2014 JKURX. looking to add a roof rack this time around. I know this is a question that appears a lot on forums. I have done a ton of research, read many threads, and even personally looked at all three on my list. (stalked a few JKs around town) as everyone knows, you get tons of different answers about the same product. so before I pick and install, I wanted to ask just to make sure I get the right one for me. so any information such as wind noise, installation issues, freedom panel removal (one of my major concerns), strength, and accessories would be most useful.

My rack wishlist:
1) Kargo Master Lo-Pro
2) Frontrunner Slimline II 1/2 Rack
3) Rhinorack

How I would use:
1) Overlanding and Camping: need extra storage area
2) Will add a RRT in the near future
3) Hauling larger supplies

Thank you in advance for the help. having such a hard time picking one.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've got one of the larger Rhino Rack Pioneer Platforms on my X-Venture XV-2 trailer and just wrapped up a 12,500 mile journey around the country on a variety of terrain and in all sorts of weather. Because it's on my trailer, not my vehicle, if there's any big wind noise I don't notice it, so can't help much in that regard.

What I like about the Rhino Rack trays and platforms is that the slats run lengthwise instead of across, which, at least in my way of understanding, is more aerodynamic and would create less wind noise.

I can vouch that their platforms are rugged as all get out, though light, and that anything I have secured to it via the channels in the slats and their eyebolt products, or that I have secured through drilled holes, like my Roofnest hardshell RTT or other gear like storage boxes, has not deformed the platform in any way nor worked itself loose. It's a rugged platform that held up extremely well over the 16 week trip.

Here's a long list of other accessories you can get for the platform, and if you look at their site, they also list accessories for their trays. http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/roof/roof-trays/pioneer-platform-acc

I got my Rhino Rack eyebolts, stratch-its, and a mess of other stuff for storage and camp gear from Exploration Outfitters in Mead OK, not too far north of DFW. They had the best price on most everything I wanted. Poke around on their site for a wide variety of roof rack accessories, including Frontrunner.

Haven't personally used a Frontrunner Slimline or Kargo Master, so can't speak to their advantages or disadvantages, but do know the Rhino Rack sure does everything I need it to.

Hope you find a good rack that does what you need it to do.

Reactions: Jes

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I have a Frontrunner slimline II. It does work with Rhino Rack accessories, as Road pointed out. There is so many accessories now. The possibilities are endless.
There is now much wind noise. Hardly any, actually. And I had my Eezi Awn RTT on it all last year. Very stout.
Installation is not a breeze, with the drilling of the hard top. It isn’t terrible though, measure twice, think about, measure a couple more times, then summon up the courage to drill the first hole. The rest is easy. The freedom panels come right off still. And you can adjust the slats on the rack when you put it together to have an open area above the panels if you wish.
I would buy another one.

Uncle O

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Atlanta, Georgia
Member #

thanks for the info. this is why is so difficult to pick. seems all of them are great racks. and its good to know that the accessaries work with both the rhino and frontrunner. giving myself a week or so before pulling the trigger.

also the drilling in the roof might lead me to drink.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
this is why I bought the Front Runner Slimline II

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
The drilling is psychological torture at first. There is so many horror stories about the rack not fitting or leaking when installed. Take your time and read the directions a few times. You’ll be fine. My roof does leak in heavy rain, that hole probably wasn’t clean enough when I stuck the foam o ring thing on.
That video is what convinced me to buy a Frontrunner also. I get asked all the time how I take my roof off. People look at me like I’m crazy when I say I don’t and don’t want to. Of all the Jeep I’ve owned, Number 7 is he nicest. Not to mention that I dislike detailing vehicals. I’ve had inches on mud in past Jeeps, what a chore that is!

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
No guts no glory.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I might suggest you look at one more option. The Garvin Wilderness racks have been around for many years. They have an enormous number of accessories for their racks and they are well built.

-Curtiss

Uncle O

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Atlanta, Georgia
Member #

with all the information on the racks this is making it even hard to pick a direction. might have to go to the old dart board method. updates will be coming soon on which direction I go. thanks again and please keep the images and info coming. all of this is inspiring and making my list grow for future mods.