• HTML tutorial

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I grew up in Sherman and head up to Grayson county a few times a year for family. Last time I was there I headed out to Paw Paw Creek on Lake Texoma to scout for a campsite for Thanksgiving week. Boy the flooding really did a number on that place. There used to be some neat (but short) little trails you could drive on and camp with no camping fee or anything more than what you brought. Another overlanding type who also has an E-van and lifelong friend and I are always on the hunt for dirt roads, abandoned things to photograph and interesting things to find. I'd love any advice for that, even if it's "all the way down" in McKinney.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

for @TxTerra and @thewildferret do you guys work in Dallas/FW or are there a plethora of jobs in your necks of the woods? CA is ridiculously expensive and we've began the entertain the idea of moving . We have a few friends that have moved to the DFW area and love it.

thewildferret

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor II

Heartland, TX
Member #

Tech field is decent out here, oil and gas is on a decline, mechanics is more up TxTerra's alley. Truck driving and dock workers are hit and miss depending on time of year. Otherwise we do have some of the lowest unemployment right now. Not great but better then average around the country. Give a shout if you want more info or want me to dig into whatever field you work in.

Reactions: TxTerra and murps

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

We have a massive influx of people moving here from cali for many reasons. There are quite a few jobs that will be opening up depending on your field here very soon. Toyota is moving their headquarters here, and our housing market is booming too.

like @thewildferret mentioned, it really is field dependent. What kind of job would you be looking for if/when you do move down here @dmurph1996 ?

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Born and raised NW suburbs of Chicago.

Spent my late teens-20's bouncing all over the Gulf South from Louisiana to Florida.

Met my wife (online!) and moved to CA roundabout 2003.

She's a SoCal native, so her roots are firmly dug into CA soil, no matter how hard I try to convince her otherwise...

Reactions: thewildferret

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

not to mention the cost of living in TX is far better than CA, also there is the whole political side of everything too. I like the laws of TX more. I guess i'd be looking into marketing, operations, or purchasing.

thewildferret

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor II

Heartland, TX
Member #

I won't say there's a demand for those jobs here @dmurph1996 , but there are a good selection depending on what you want to do. Marketing is a little weak in the area but operations and purchasing are fairly good right now.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Welcome @llibrm !

I guess I'll introduce myself as well since we just merged all the states into regions:

My name is Kevin and I'm based out of Southeast New Mexico. I'm actually from East Tennessee but have been working in NM for the past 6 years.

trentor

Rank 0

Contributor I

McKinney here as well.

I grew up in Sherman and head up to Grayson county a few times a year for family. Last time I was there I headed out to Paw Paw Creek on Lake Texoma to scout for a campsite for Thanksgiving week. Boy the flooding really did a number on that place. There used to be some neat (but short) little trails you could drive on and camp with no camping fee or anything more than what you brought. Another overlanding type who also has an E-van and lifelong friend and I are always on the hunt for dirt roads, abandoned things to photograph and interesting things to find. I'd love any advice for that, even if it's "all the way down" in McKinney.
Don't give up on that spot. It's still amazing. Once the water recedes, the local kids seem to have those trails blazed back in in record time. You just better be real careful with seemingly "small" mud holes. Avoid them entirely or go with a buddy and good recovery equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WUzombies

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

McKinney here as well.

Don't give up on that spot. It's still amazing. Once the water recedes, the local kids seem to have those trails blazed back in in record time. You just better be real careful with seemingly "small" mud holes. Avoid them entirely or go with a buddy and good recovery equipment.

Planning on hitting Eisenhower again the first weekend in Spring Break (hopefully less tornado-y than last time after Christmas), I might have to run out to Paw Paw Creek and check it out!

Reactions: trentor

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Born and raised 25miles west of Milwaukee, WI. Spent 11 years in Indianapolis, IN. Now I live in Cedar Creek, TX. (Near Bastrop)

Reactions: WUzombies

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Born and raised in Strafford, New Hampshire. Now located in Austin, Texas.

trentor

Rank 0

Contributor I

I grew up in Sherman and head up to Grayson county a few times a year for family.
Forgot to ask...did you go to school there? '94 Sherman High grad here. Went to Grayson and Austin College as well.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Forgot to ask...did you go to school there? '94 Sherman High grad here. Went to Grayson and Austin College as well.

Yup, we most likely crossed paths, I was class of '98. Worked at Internet Texoma while in highschool, spent too much time at Not Just Coffee.
-Dave Lund

Reactions: trentor