where was your first time overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

was your first time out an enjoyable one?

• absolutely, thats why I'm still here.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • ehh, it could have gone better but it was fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

I have lived out of a vehicle many times in my life being in the military, but out of my personal rig was something new to me. a few years ago I had bid on a trip in western South Carolina called "man up weekend". it was an awesome time and it exposed me to what would become my first official overloading trip. It may not look like it but it was the middle of winter and I broke the plastic rear window in my jeep the first morning just by touching it. the plastic blew out like a glass window. What was your first trip. do you have any good, bad funny experiences.

Attachments

Traveler I

I guess mine was before I knew what overlanding was.

When I was young I had a '92 Bronco and my friends and I used to camp pretty compulsively and occasionally offroad. I had a tow strap, front and rear recovery points, tires and that's it. We'd go all around the Cascades and some spots on Sisters National Grassland. I just started tarping the back of the Bronco and cooking out of it, sleeping in it, etc. whenever we got to remote spots. It served me well as the desert turns into a mud bowl during a rain and I was the only one who could get out for more beer in some pretty deeply rutted and washed out roads.

That was in the late 90s. Then I sold my truck, raised a family, and now my son's grown and I'm starting to have time and money again. I've always loved having a capable 4x4 so I started adding some basic mods to the Tacoma I got 16 years ago to replace the Bronco. Then I started watching overlander videos and getting all the recovery gear.

Now I'm addicted.

I've only offroaded a bit in the intervening years though so I'm rusty and I know a lot's changed and there's a lot I don't know. So I'm a little older, a little less devil may care (so I want to be better prepared), and more thoughtful. Plus I'm a gear nerd.

This is a great way to get out of doors and camp up here in Oregon, even in the winter, which can be dreadfully depressing and long from January through July. Looking forward to really jumping in with both feet in the coming months.

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

Traveler I

I have lived out of a vehicle many times in my life being in the military, but out of my personal rig was something new to me. a few years ago I had bid on a trip in western South Carolina called "man up weekend". it was an awesome time and it exposed me to what would become my first official overloading trip. It may not look like it but it was the middle of winter and I broke the plastic rear window in my jeep the first morning just by touching it. the plastic blew out like a glass window. What was your first trip. do you have any good, bad funny experiences.
We did a camping trip once in national forest and made lean-to's like that (summer though). It was a lot of fun.

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

Overland A Far

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Member #

Wow this is going back - 1982. Was holidays for us - Overlanding wasn't the word yet. The wife and I had a 1981 Toyota pickup. 4 cylinder, 4 speed regular cab with no power anything, just a radio. I just finished Forestry tech school and this was our first real holiday. I built a small camper for the back and the wife and I with our spaniel Sheena hit the road through southern Alberta, British Columbia, Washington, central Oregon (Crater Lake area), Oregon Caves, the Redwoods and into northern California and the coastal highway home. HOOKED!

JeffG98034

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, Washington
Member #

1991 in a 1987 Chevy s10 Blazer, went from Kentucky to Washington State, I was in the ARMY at the time I had 30 days saved up so I used them up, went onto forest trails did some camping seen allot of cool stuff..