Where to start on my '19 Taco build

• HTML tutorial

DamnSkippyTy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I just recently purchased my 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Double Cab, 6-ft. Bed). This will be used for my daily commuter. I've been a long time backpacker but feel its time to migrate more towards overlanding. As much as I would like to immediately do a transformation of my truck into the end-all-be-all rig, I will be taking it very slow. What (if anything) would you initially recommend changing to adequately prep this truck for multi-day overlanding? Not sure if it changes the build process but eventually I'm considering doing some truck living on the longer term.

Update: I will say that I'm wanting to avoid the more technical 4x4 routes.

Thanks in advance!
Ty

Last edited:
Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Ty,
I would say it depends on what your goals and ambitions are.
1. Forestry supply roads recreation camp sites & remote public camping
2. Long distance gravel roads with metal roads public camp sites
3. 4x4 total remote as a group
4. All in self sufficient remote

1 = standard cross country tyres, RTT, kitchen, rugged travel cases with this sites recommended contents
2. = 3 season tyres (aka 4 season tires) everything from, ground tent,
3. = All terrain cross country tyres, suspension upgrades, water proofing, RTT, as 1, winch, bumpers
4. As three but long distance communication (non cell mobile phones), survival gear, training in survival, medical, self rescue,

Reactions: Cpol

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I would spend time at the TRD forums and read about what gear works and what doesn't. First on the list would be a first aid kit and recovery gear.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

Start with good tires, a place to secure your gear, some recovery gear, a set of tools, and food storage. You said you were a backpacker, so you already know what you are doing in the back country as far as camping is concerned. Just take your knowledge and expand it a little to make the truck your backpack. With the truck you can take a few of the luxuries that would not fit in your pack. Most of the things I use are backpacking items. I don't like to carry a whole lot of weight and keep things as compact as possible. Some people bring the kitchen sink, but you have to go with what you are comfortable with and then expand on it.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Put your backpacking gear in your truck and get out there. Upgrade as you find the need. Enjoy the hell out of it and don’t waste so much time and energy “getting ready” and just get out and do it.
Exactly grab your bag and discover the luxurious things you want

Things to upgrade
1. Mobile toilet
2 better cooker and dry goods storage
3. Fire extinguisher
4. Tillie lamp
5. Water purification system
6. Camping chairs
7. Cooking surfaces
8. High lift jack/spade/shovel/axe
9. Camp bed

Things to do on vehicle
1. Tyres
2. Roof rack and cage
3. Gerry cans racks
4. Water Gerry can racks
5 hand held ham/cb radio charger
6. Recovery shackle points
7. High lift jack points
8. Axe/Spade/shovel/high jack mounting points

Long term
Winch
Roof top tent
Static ham cb radio
Rock sliders
Spot and flood lights
Surround vehicle lighting
Towing hitch

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

If you're already comfortable using your backpacking gear just yet a little bit of recovery equipment and go, you don't need a roof top tent, you don't need a $500 awning you don't need a fridge it really don't need much of anything to be able to get out and enjoy yourself.
Now using a small tent and a jetboil to cook your dinner as won't look as Instagram cool as having a pull out kitchen,solar everything and every other accessory you can think of for a weekend trip, but the less you take the less time it takes to get ready and probably the more often you can go, spending your weekends exploring not building a rig .