Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
We love living east of the Cascades in Washington State because of all the public lands open to 4 wheel drive vehicles and great places to camp. We are tired of all the taxes, mandates and loss of rights. We were already forced to shut down our main business. If things don't change for the better, we will be moving. We are in search of moving to a state the has overland opportunities. Post up if you know of a great place to move in the following states; Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming.

Thank you, Clay

Note: Edited because I live East of the Cascades not West like I somehow typed. I hated living 9 years west of the Cascades!

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We love living west of the Cascades in Washington State because of all the public lands open to 4 wheel drive vehicles and great places to camp. We are tired of all the taxes, mandates and loss of rights. We were already forced to shut down our main business. If things don't change for the better, we will be moving. We are in search of moving to a state the has overland opportunities. Post up if you know of a great place to move in the following states; Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming.

Thank you, Clay
Utah, the whole state is gorgeous.
Montana, Northwestern part of the state looks promising.
Kansas-not much in the Overlanding sector here (same with Nebraska )
Dakotas are decent in the black hills region…
Colorado… stay away from Denver, CS, and outlying regions of those two cities. Pueblo, Canon City, Trinidad, Montreal, Grand Junction, Lamar are all good choices.
Wyoming- Jackson Hole

Not mentioned is New Mexico. Northern New Mexico is a lot like Utah, Whyoming and Colorado.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Utah, the whole state is gorgeous.
Montana, Northwestern part of the state looks promising.
Kansas-not much in the Overlanding sector here (same with Nebraska )
Dakotas are decent in the black hills region…
Colorado… stay away from Denver, CS, and outlying regions of those two cities. Pueblo, Canon City, Trinidad, Montreal, Grand Junction, Lamar are all good choices.
Wyoming- Jackson Hole

Not mentioned is New Mexico. Northern New Mexico is a lot like Utah, Whyoming and Colorado.
Thanks. Not only am I looking for places to live with near overland opportunities, I am also looking a places with a lot of sunshine like we have here in Yakima. By Google search, a lot of places in Wyoming look to be that way. Billing Montana too.

I am spoiled by all the public land right here and more have within two hours away. We looked into Texas and post a thread here on OB. We found public land areas for 4x4 camping were few and miles apart.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks. Not only am I looking for places to live with near overland opportunities, I am also looking a places with a lot of sunshine like we have here in Yakima. By Google search, a lot of places in Wyoming look to be that way. Billing Montana too.

I am spoiled by all the public land right here and more have within two hours away. We looked into Texas and post a thread here on OB. We found public land areas for 4x4 camping were few and miles apart.
New Mexico has a lot to offer, and has more sunshine than we do here, and they still have 4 seasons. Look at the little town of Raton, New Mexico as an example.

Reactions: Ubiety

Contributor III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Williams
We love living west of the Cascades in Washington State because of all the public lands open to 4 wheel drive vehicles and great places to camp. We are tired of all the taxes, mandates and loss of rights. We were already forced to shut down our main business. If things don't change for the better, we will be moving. We are in search of moving to a state the has overland opportunities. Post up if you know of a great place to move in the following states; Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming.

Thank you, Clay
All the places you mentioned are great except for Wyoming. Way too windy and cold.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
@Ceg - when you find a place let me know. I too am looking but have a couple/few years before moving out of WA is a possibility.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
@Ceg - when you find a place let me know. I too am looking but have a couple/few years before moving out of WA is a possibility.
I am still looking but also hoping for some miracle that would stop the Washington State Government overreach. I love where I live but don't like the State Government. Yakima County also has changed to a dictatorship since we moved here in 1998.

I have really thought about the Boise, Idaho area. Not in the big cities, but maybe on farm land to the west. I need the sunshine like we have here and that area looks to have it. Also I need to be close enough to a VA Clinic for health reasons. Boise has that. Boise is about a 5 hour drive to where we live now. I could still be able to do some of the Washington State overland trips with the guys in our club and see my kids. Two of my kids don't want to move out of the Yakima area and two want to move to Montana someday. The youngest is undecided.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am still looking but also hoping for some miracle that would stop the Washington State Government overreach. I love where I live but don't like the State Government. Yakima County also has changed to a dictatorship since we moved here in 1998.

I have really thought about the Boise, Idaho area. Not in the big cities, but maybe on farm land to the west. I need the sunshine like we have here and that area looks to have it. Also I need to be close enough to a VA Clinic for health reasons. Boise has that. Boise is about a 5 hour drive to where we live now. I could still be able to do some of the Washington State overland trips with the guys in our club and see my kids. Two of my kids don't want to move out of the Yakima area and two want to move to Montana someday. The youngest is undecided.
Have you looked into the Lewiston area? Lewiston/Clarkston has great VA recourses and the regional VA hospital is only an hour away in Walla Walla.

• Love

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Have you looked into the Lewiston area? Lewiston/Clarkston has great VA recourses and the regional VA hospital is only an hour away in Walla Walla.
Thanks. I did look into Lewiston since it is closer to where I like to overland. The research says that Lewiston don't have as many sunny days as Yakima. I have to have sunshine due to weather depression. I moved from Puyallup after 9 years in the dark to Yakima because of it.

I am lucky Yakima has a VA Clinic hooked to Walla Walla. Most stuff can be done local out of clinic. I have not had to go to Walla Walla VA yet. In 2015 they sent me to the Spokane VA for carpal tunnel surgery. That was a long drive 3 times. In 2020 Trumps VA Hot Line helped me to get the other hand done in Yakima by a civilian Doctor. Never got the last follow up due to the lock down.

• Wow

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I am still looking but also hoping for some miracle that would stop the Washington State Government overreach.
Me too, brother, me too. King county is something else...

I sure have ;) I really like the small town feel there and the climate is more along the lines of what we are used to.

Reactions: Ceg

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
I love the PNW but I got tired of how Oregon was being ran. I lived on the west side of the Cascades. Now, I returned to Colorado to a small town outside of Denver (Golden). I am liking the small town feeling of Golden and I do not like to go into Denver unless I really have to.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Be prepared for sticker shock.

When the Canuckistanis closed their border to the "unvaccinated" they cut off terrestrial travel to Alaska and as a matter of consequence my plan for summers.

So I started looking for lower 48 options(that are cooler than TX), that have a political climate that favors freedom, and has a low population density.

What I found was property priced at and selling for money I absolutely could not justify spending.

• Angry

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

When the Canuckistanis closed their border to the "unvaccinated" they cut off terrestrial travel to Alaska and as a matter of consequence my plan for summers.

So I started looking for lower 48 options(that are cooler than TX), that have a political climate that favors freedom, and has a low population density.

What I found was property priced at and selling for money I absolutely could not justify spending.
You are baiting me here aren't you? ;)

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

You are baiting me here aren't you? ;)
Not purposefully, no.

That is in fact an accurate albeit brief description of my findings. You might suffer less sticker shock due to your current exposure. Since I still live in a place that largely meets my criteria for freedoms and fails only my temperature desires profoundly, I'm just going to let it ride.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

They say my house is worth 3 times what I bought it for. I have looked at the housing prices in different states where we considered moving to and they as are high as they are here. I don't think I would have the money to move with the price of fuel right now. We will see what happens in a few years.

• Sad