Rank III

Enthusiast II

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Martin
Member #

My friend and I were planning a trip to Colorado soon. We are heading up from texas. We only have a week before she has to drive back down and currently, the plan is to drive up north to the great sand dunes national flag park before heading to aspen, and then from there try to hit Idaho springs and the rockys. I've been to Idaho springs but I have no idea what is in aspen or the rockys. Any must see places? We cant hit any trails... or at least she can't. she has a renegade with street tires. If there are any hidden gyms to hike to or see please let me know! Id love to find a hot spring or waterfall to camp by.

Last edited:

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
My friend and I were planning a trip to Colorado soon. We are heading up from texas. We only have a week before she has to drive back down and currently, the plan is to drive up north to the great sand dunes national flag park before heading to aspen, and then from there try to hit Idaho springs and the rockys. I've been to Idaho springs but I have no idea what is in aspen or the rockys. Any must see places? We cant hit any trails... or at least she can't. she has a renegade with street tires. If there are any hidden gyms to hike to or see please let me know! Id love to find a hot spring or waterfall to camp by.
Winter camping in Colorado can easily yield -30f temps. Are you ready for that? Camping spots are few and far between. Unless you are a seasoned winter person, wait until at least late spring (MAY)

Life of Trevor

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Winter camping in Colorado can easily yield -30f temps. Are you ready for that? Camping spots are few and far between. Unless you are a seasoned winter person, wait until at least late spring (MAY)
Well we won’t be going till around March or April probably. I will be checking the weather before we go. Currently the weather is around 20-50 degrees and unless we get a snow storm I’m expecting it to be around that temperature while we are here

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

What do you mean by "the rockys"? You are in the Rockies in all of the places mentioned :D Are you thinking about Rocky Mountain National Park?

As others have mentioned Colorado Mountains in Jan will be COLD. Be prepared. You mention having street tires make sure they are Snow rated or you could get fined if the weather invokes Colorado's Traction Law. If you don't have the proper equipment you could face fines as high as $650. (I know this catches Texans who drive up to go skiing off guard as I've met a few around Summit County who were pissed about the fines. One guy I was talking to got 2 of them in a single trip after sliding into someone on a hill in one event then being seen fishtailing through an intersection by a cop a few days later.)

My tips:
  • Try to localize your trip a bit more. The current plans you mentioned will have you covering a large, mountainous, chunk of the state which in January can be difficult to do. IE: Hwy 82/Independence Pass between Sand Dunes NP and Aspen is closed in winter so you'll need to go up and around. Which is a 5 hour trip in good conditions. IF GSDNP is your must see for the trip then instead of Aspen and the other northern / western areas stay south and go west to Pagosa Springs or Durango. Or or stay East and go North. Either of these plans will keep you on better traveled roads with cell coverage much of the time.
  • Unless you have a specific reason for going to Idaho Springs ... I'd say skip it. Better Colorado towns to visit and not much I'd recommend doing in town in winter.
  • if you do go to Aspen I recommend:
  • Do you snowboard or Downhill Ski? If so replace Idaho Springs with Breckenridge or Keystone (Aspen also offers great skiing)
  • Looking for hiking/ snowshoeing / X-country skiing?
Let me know what activities you are looking to do or types of things you'd like to see and I can give better recommendations.

Boort

Life of Trevor

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Martin
Member #

What do you mean by "the rockys"? You are in the Rockies in all of the places mentioned :D Are you thinking about Rocky Mountain National Park?

As others have mentioned Colorado Mountains in Jan will be COLD. Be prepared. You mention having street tires make sure they are Snow rated or you could get fined if the weather invokes Colorado's Traction Law. If you don't have the proper equipment you could face fines as high as $650. (I know this catches Texans who drive up to go skiing off guard as I've met a few around Summit County who were pissed about the fines. One guy I was talking to got 2 of them in a single trip after sliding into someone on a hill in one event then being seen fishtailing through an intersection by a cop a few days later.)

My tips:
  • Try to localize your trip a bit more. The current plans you mentioned will have you covering a large, mountainous, chunk of the state which in January can be difficult to do. IE: Hwy 82/Independence Pass between Sand Dunes NP and Aspen is closed in winter so you'll need to go up and around. Which is a 5 hour trip in good conditions. IF GSDNP is your must see for the trip then instead of Aspen and the other northern / western areas stay south and go west to Pagosa Springs or Durango. Or or stay East and go North. Either of these plans will keep you on better traveled roads with cell coverage much of the time.
  • Unless you have a specific reason for going to Idaho Springs ... I'd say skip it. Better Colorado towns to visit and not much I'd recommend doing in town in winter.
  • if you do go to Aspen I recommend:
  • Do you snowboard or Downhill Ski? If so replace Idaho Springs with Breckenridge or Keystone (Aspen also offers great skiing)
  • Looking for hiking/ snowshoeing / X-country skiing?
Let me know what activities you are looking to do or types of things you'd like to see and I can give better recommendations.

Boort
Super helpful! I probably should’ve clarified that this trip will be happening closer to March where I hope to see snow but I’m assuming it won’t be freezing. I personally have ko2 and I’ve played in the snow already but as for my friend she won’t even drive in the snow even if she has the right tires. I’ll check either way I’ve tried to explain to her it’s gonna be cold but I don’t think she completely understands it. My biggest reason for Idaho springs is because I’m already familiar with the area and being such a small town I already made a few friends and I loved saint marys glacier. I’m sure there are much better places to see I just am familiar with it. When I said rockys or I guess “Rockies” (I think I’m dyslexic sorry) I was referring to Rockies national park. We looked on the map and already saw the road is closed to cut through there but I didn’t know it was something they did every year. I assume we will probably play by ear. I will stay in Colorado as long as I want. I travel and live in my Jeep so I can explore everything but I’m just trying to figure out how to get the most out of it for her. Thanks for the info! Lots of stuff I’ll need to look into!

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

this trip will be happening closer to March where I hope to see snow but I’m assuming it won’t be freezing.
It will still be freezing, snowing and blizzarding in early March in Colorado.

My ex-wife and I got snowed in mid April at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon (Az.) many years ago.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Super helpful! I probably should’ve clarified that this trip will be happening closer to March where I hope to see snow but I’m assuming it won’t be freezing. I personally have ko2 and I’ve played in the snow already but as for my friend she won’t even drive in the snow even if she has the right tires. I’ll check either way I’ve tried to explain to her it’s gonna be cold but I don’t think she completely understands it. My biggest reason for Idaho springs is because I’m already familiar with the area and being such a small town I already made a few friends and I loved saint marys glacier. I’m sure there are much better places to see I just am familiar with it. When I said rockys or I guess “Rockies” (I think I’m dyslexic sorry) I was referring to Rockies national park. We looked on the map and already saw the road is closed to cut through there but I didn’t know it was something they did every year. I assume we will probably play by ear. I will stay in Colorado as long as I want. I travel and live in my Jeep so I can explore everything but I’m just trying to figure out how to get the most out of it for her. Thanks for the info! Lots of stuff I’ll need to look into!
@Life of Trevor
As @old_man said March is usually the Snowiest month and it tends to be Wet Heavy snow. Keep in mind that many of the Ski areas are open into April. March is one of the best and busiest times for Skiing due to getting snow nearly every night combined with being Spring Break time for Tx and much of the Gulf states. I spend a lot of time in Estes Park, Breckenridge and Leadville over the years in the winter. Aspen I save for summer and Fall as I don't ski and much of what I enjoy doing in the area is not available in the winter.

For Estes you can expect Ave overnight Low temps from about 15* - 25* and daily highs in the mid 30's - 40's.
For Breck you can expect Ave overnight Low temps from about 15* - 25* and daily highs in the 30's.
For Leadville you can expect Ave overnight Low temps from about 10* - 20* and daily highs in the 20's-30's
Aspen tends to be a bit warmer overnight Low temps from about 30* - 40* and daily highs in the 30's- low 50's by the end of the month.
Not sure about the Sand Dunes area you'd need to look it up. It's futher South and low lying but so is Gunnison which often logs the coldest temps in the state.

I consider having friends in the area a very good reason to visit. They would even be able to offer some suggestions on things to do that are newer than what I'm aware of. Let us know of any suggestions they provide that you enjoyed. I talked to the SO who grew up in Idaho Springs. We could come up with lots of fun things to do in the summer and fall. Winter recommendations were to avoid the Indian Hot springs place as you could watch your clothes skitter away on their own. As you mentioned St Mary's Alice would be the only thing I could think of to do in Winter in Idaho Spgs. Had lots of Fun Snowshoeing, sledding, and tubing there in the past.

Rocky Mtn Natl. Park (RMNP) is open year round and offers camping in 1 site on the Estes park side through the winter. as I mentioned earlier Lots to do there in Winter. you can rent X-country skis or Snow Shoes from places in town and get advice for other fun trails. The ones I listed earlier are all short easy trails that I recommend for getting acclimated to the weather and altitude. Many more to check out depending on how you feel after doing the few I mentioned. Yes both Old Fall River Rd and Trailridge Rd are closed basically from first big snow in the fall - Memorial day.

Good luck and be safe!
Boort

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
You might contact either the Regional Director or the two CO Member Representatives.
Our Rocky Mountain Regional Director is @Neal A. Tew
The CO member Representative are @trail_runn4r & @Fortis Overland

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Trevor, some of us here on the front range haven't completely closed shop for the winter. I just posted a camping trip for later in January.

I believe you are planning to camp, but I didn't see if explicitly stated.

There are a number of places in the lower elevations that will melt out during winter. In that case the street tires might still be doable.

Here's the deal in a nutshell.....the best CO attractions are mostly at elevation and/or in areas that get a lot of snow. There are places that won't have that kind of snow, if any, but they aren't nearly as grand as the waterfalls and hot springs you're hoping for. The area that I'm leading a trip to in a couple weeks is nothing amazing and I wouldn't give it much attention in August, but in January it sure beats sitting on the couch.

I'm not all that far from the Dunes. If you'd be satisfied traversing some adjacent areas that might not be as spectacular as you're hoping for I'd be happy to help you come up with a plan. I'd even be willing to try to set up an OB meetup with others if you're so inclined. No pressure. Just let me know if I can help. I hope you have a good time, regardless.