Launch Member

Contributor I

Durango, CO
First Name
Amy
Last Name
McClintock
Member #

My Xman currently has the stock P265/75R16 Hankook® tires with the 16" wheels. I'm planning to upgrade to the BF Goodrich KO2s. I did a 2" suspension lift, so my tires/wheels look tiny, plus I'd like more secure off-road performance. I also upgraded to the Heftyfab front bumper, which created lots of extra room in the front wheel well.

I'm considering upgrading to a 17" wheel with either a 285/75R17 or a 285/70R17 tire. Also, I'd like to move the tires out a bit. I did research on spacers, but don't want to go that route, and since I'm considering going to 17" wheels, I understand that I can achieve the same result by reducing the offset from 30+ (factory wheel, so I read) to 20+, which would bring the tires out .79" if I go with the 285/75R17 tires.

I've been reading about the heat mod with the larger tire but am wondering if it's necessary with the lift, the new front bumper, and 17" wheels with the reduced offset. I'm not a mechanic or have any hands on experience when is comes to this stuff -- have just been doing a lot of research -- so, have any of you done these kinds of upgrades? Would the 285/75R17s work properly with my Xman or be too big? Am I doing the offset calcs correctly?

This step is a little intimidating for me so I sure would appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

Reactions: Pindal

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Not sure if you ever got answer to your question so I'll give it a shot. For reference for Xterra tire related issues a good place to check out is www.thenewx.org. It will have tons of information for you in all things Xterra related.

Keep in mind that where you'll find issues with running a 285 is not up front, but along the bottom rear corner of the front fenders. With that lift, you're more than likely going to have to at least do a "melt mod" to fit 285's on stock rims. If you're planning to push the wheels out slightly, there is also a good chance you may have to trim the fenders as well, because they will hit the fender corner. Now before you panic, that same website I referenced does have some ingenious ways of getting that done.

I'm currently running my X with a 2.5" lift and a hefty bumper as well. Today I am finally upgrading to 285 KO2's on the stock S rims. I've already performed the "melt mod." I'll throw up some pictures for you once it is done and can get a chance.

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Pictures as promised:

On the last picture notice how tight it is against the fender. I did the melt mod but it looks like I didn't do it far enough on that side, as I'm getting a very slight rub when turning into my driveway on a bump. The other side in much farther in and so far no rub. I do also get a slight rub at full wheel lock, but it is not enough of a concern to me and really only happened once so far.

If you're going to push the wheels out, it's that corner where you can expect to trim/bend. There's a detailed writeup on the easiest way to do it on thenewx.

Amy DGO

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Durango, CO
First Name
Amy
Last Name
McClintock
Member #

Your rig looks great! I can see that that's a definite point of rub, but it does seem like a mod will fix it. Thanks for the visuals!

Superslidestyle

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rialto, California, United States
First Name
IRWIN
Last Name
JIMENEZ
Member #

I went a slightly different route (as an option to consider). I got 305/70R16 Yokoh. Geolander MT, then replaced them recently with same size RBP Repulsor MTR, (both great, quiet tires) on OEM stock PRO-4X rims. I got a 2.5" lift via HD OME springs/leafpacks & still had to do the melt-mod (be very careful, it's easy to over-melt). Rather than using spacers & going to 17" rims, I would suggest going to a 16" rim but 8-9" wide (OEM is 7"). You'll have better tire choices at the size.

Superslidestyle

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rialto, California, United States
First Name
IRWIN
Last Name
JIMENEZ
Member #

I can't seem to post pics here. Here's my cell. Text me, I'll text you pictures of what I'm talking about. Also, don't forget to check www.soCalXterra.com for everything Nissan related, including Titan, Frontier, Pathinder, Armada, Nevarra, Infinity, etc. I'm on there as "SuperSlideStyle". Irwin (909)227-4621.

Amy DGO

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Durango, CO
First Name
Amy
Last Name
McClintock
Member #

Can the larger spare fit where the stock spare is up underneath?

Amy DGO

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Durango, CO
First Name
Amy
Last Name
McClintock
Member #

Btw, I'm headed out for a raft of the Grand Canyon and then off to Peru, so I'll be off the air until July. I'll post some photos of my Xman then! Thanks to both of you for all your help. :-)

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Another thing to take in to account wheel offset is related to wheel width. A wider wheel with the same offset sticks further out as well as in to the wheel well.