beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
If you could throw 10 things into a box that would be your favorite pieces of gear. What would they be?

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Are we assuming the vehicle already has such things as jumper cables, spare tire, jack, lug wrench, extra quart of oil, extra gallon of anti-freeze, gallon of water for people or car, spare belt, spare radiator hoses, spare fuses, tool kit and a fire extinguisher? Because if not, I am not going to ever make it to the point of adding a tent.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Only ten Items:
1: Knife
2: Rope
3: adjustable wrench
4: high lift Jack
5: 25’ chain
6: blanket
7: MRE
8: water purification system
9: engine oil
10: cast iron skillet

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
Are we assuming the vehicle already has such things as jumper cables, spare tire, jack, lug wrench, extra quart of oil, extra gallon of anti-freeze, gallon of water for people or car, spare belt, spare radiator hoses, spare fuses, tool kit and a fire extinguisher? Because if not, I am not going to ever make it to the point of adding a tent.
vehicle safety/maintenance stuff doesnt count thats obvious

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
Only ten Items:
1: Knife
2: Rope
3: adjustable wrench
4: high lift Jack
5: 25’ chain
6: blanket
7: MRE
8: water purification system
9: engine oil
10: cast iron skillet
what kind of knife
what kind of rope
what kind of jack
what kind of purification system
what kind of cast iron skillet

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
what kind of knife
what kind of rope
what kind of jack
what kind of purification system
what kind of cast iron skillet
Knife - K-Bar survival

Rope - any poly rope will do...

I already said specifically what kind of jack... high-lift

Cast iron skillet - 12-14” Griswald

water purification -Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
Knife - K-Bar survival

Rope - any poly rope will do...

I already said specifically what kind of jack... high-lift

Cast iron skillet - 12-14” Griswald

water purification -Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter
Just a regular Kbar?

as for the skillet im guessing an older one? how much did you spend?

I got one of these brand new its amazing but i should have gotten the bigger 12 inch one.

• Wow
Reactions: Sparksalot

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
You may need to try again with some more clarity as to what you are after.

When you say only ten items that kind of puts things in a post-apocalyptic scenario. If that is not what you are going after then you need to explain.

Perhaps "Your top ten favorite pieces of gear" would be closer to what you are after.

Reactions: beachdude93

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
You may need to try again with some more clarity as to what you are after.

When you say only ten items that kind of puts things in a post-apocalyptic scenario. If that is not what you are going after then you need to explain.

Perhaps "Your top ten favorite pieces of gear" would be closer to what you are after.
fixed the OP thanks

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Just a regular Kbar?

I got one of these brand new its amazing but i should have gotten the bigger 12 inch one.

I like a 12-14 inch skillet at home. I mostly cook for one while camping so a 10” is perfect for me, except that time I caught a 16” cutthroat a couple of years ago.

Reactions: beachdude93

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Okay. Whole 'nuther ball game.

1. Coleman Peak 1 stove
2. Black Diamond LED lantern/flashlight
3. Estwing Hammer
4. 4 Sevens Maelstrom flashlight
5. Adventure Tool Company wool blanket
6. Cold Steel knife/flint
7. Kenwood TM-V71A dual band radio
8. Frostbite Cooler
9. Laphroig 10 yr cask strength
10. Patrick F. McManus books

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just a regular Kbar?

I see you changed this from just “10 pieces of gear” to favorite pieces of gear... which will change everything because 10 piece is my normal load out, and not my favorite pieces of gear, but my minimum requirement when heading out. I will change my top ten items below.

It’s a late 1800’s model set that belonged to my great great grandmother and has been passed down to the youngest daughter through the generations. When my mother passed I snagged up the whole set as I am the only person in the family who camps. The set consists of a 4” skillet, 10” saucepan, 12 or 14” skillet, and a 8qt Dutch Oven , and a Griddle If I were to guess I would say it’s worth close to $400.00.
I’ve purchased a lot of cast iron throughout the years, and I haven’t found a better CI than Griswald.

K-Bar is a K-Bar survival knife, has to have a minimum of 6” fixed blade.

Updated list of top 10 pieces of gear from most favorite as number one.

1: Icom IC-7100 for communications on trail and pass time at camp

2: Gazelle T4 Plus tent

3: Kelty sleeping bag (forget the model but it’s been discontinued for several years

4: MSR Windburner 2.8l backpacking stove

5: Whynter FT-65G electric fridge.

6: Mr Buddy Heater MH9BX

7: Zero Gravity Lounger

8: Port-A-Loo

9: Cabella’s military cot

10: Colman dual fuel stove.

Reactions: Road

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
I see you changed this from just “10 pieces of gear” to favorite pieces of gear... which will change everything because 10 piece is my normal load out, and not my favorite pieces of gear, but my minimum requirement when heading out. I will change my top ten items below.

It’s a late 1800’s model set that belonged to my great great grandmother and has been passed down to the youngest daughter through the generations. When my mother passed I snagged up the whole set as I am the only person in the family who camps. The set consists of a 4” skillet, 10” saucepan, 12 or 14” skillet, and a 8qt Dutch Oven , and a Griddle If I were to guess I would say it’s worth close to $400.00.
I’ve purchased a lot of cast iron throughout the years, and I haven’t found a better CI than Griswald.

3: Kelty sleeping bag (forget the model but it’s been discontinued for several years

this is exactly the type of stuff thanks!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey Mike - cool list, especially the bit about your Griswold cast iron being passed down. I wrote a review once on tripadvisor about the Montsweag Flea Market and a "suspendered, bushy-bearded jolly soul who knows more about cast iron Griswold skillets than anyone alive, who will also try to get you to take his mounted buck deer head with "Ohh, you just glue that pahht back down and if you don't evah tell anyone, they will nevah know."

You might also like this article by Boonie Hicks: Griswold cast iron skillet. Identify, date your skillet using logos.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey Mike - cool list, especially the bit about your Griswold cast iron being passed down. I wrote a review once on tripadvisor about the Montsweag Flea Market and a "suspendered, bushy-bearded jolly soul who knows more about cast iron Griswold skillets than anyone alive, who will also try to get you to take his mounted buck deer head with "Ohh, you just glue that pahht back down and if you don't evah tell anyone, they will nevah know."

You might also like this article by Boonie Hicks: Griswold cast iron skillet. Identify, date your skillet using logos.
Road,
According to Boonie Hicks, my collection dates to The late 1800’s. Great read. I also loved your review on the Montsweag Flea Market.

Reactions: Road