Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

I had to check that out, because what I paid was a screaming deal at the time. What I found is that Skeletool is a style of tools.

There's a pocket knife that's $25.

Then there's the multi-tool, which is what I have, that runs $60.
I didn't actually know about the knife version. I have a skeletool MT, and have owned 2 (old was the REI red one, but the paint chipped off, so I switched it out).

HD had the actual multitools for half what I paid. Not sure if they still do. But last holiday season, they stocked them.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Leatherman Skeletool in central console of vehicle.
Only been used a few times, but has severed me well so far.
Like its design and light weight.
Good for trekking as well as vehicle multi-tool.

IMG_3621.JPG

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
During the week I always have a Case peanut in my pocket. I've had it for over 10 years and really like it.
In my day pack I have a leatherman skeletool and in the center console there's an old Gerber multi-tool

kull05taco

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Burlington, NC
First Name
Skip
Last Name
Kull
Member #

Man what a loaded question. In my pocket is a leatherman squirt usually. I carry in my EDC bag (yes a man purse and I keep in on me.) I carry the leatherman wave. In my truck is yet another wave. In my range bag is their MUT. I also have the surge in titanium and a skeletool. Obviously I am a leatherman nut I have had them since I was a kid have beaten the snot out of them sent them back for repair and got them back all fixed like new. Oh and a really big one for me is the benchmade rescue tool that is on a lanyard attached so that it cannot be out of reach in my truck. That thing is can be a life saver. Also with the leathermans you have some options with blade steels and such my surge has S30V steel on the blades. So be aware of that.

My word of advice is to try different tools for whatever you are wanting one for and find what fits best for you. All the brands people have mentioned are really good though I have found gerber to be not as good as they once were I have a newer one of their multitools and one that's about 15 or so yrs old. The old one seems to be much better constructed and has held up extremely well.

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

I carry a Leatherman Rebar in my truck. Love that thing.

I often carry a Gerber Clutch in my pocket. They are cheap and capable little multitools. Somehow I have ended up with 3 (secret santa, etc) so I have backups.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Mine are Leatherman too... Had them many years. I have the Wave and the Crunch. I like the fact they have lifetime warranty although I've only need to test that once in about 15 years... moral of that story... don't lend them to your friends [emoji6] never seen the crunch before need one of them

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
8A378A53-9E40-493C-8695-A669A720E55D.jpeg Doesn’t anyone carry one of these in their pocket? The most used tool is of course the toothpick.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Never leave home without my Leatherman Wave. I've had it for over 20 years now. Originally got it when I was 12 to use for fishing (which I did nearly every day back then), and once I got out of high school I started carrying it on my belt 24/7. I have owned others, and have been impressed by some cheaper ones. Currently have a Kobalt multitool in my wife's office GO bag. It works well, and was less than $20. Every time I see an original Wave I try to buy it, unfortunately no one ever wants to sell them. I'm not a fan of the new Wave removable screwdriver bits, so I've resisted buying one as a backup. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to my old Wave.

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
Leatherman.... Charge, or Charge TTi, or Skeletool, or Sidekick, or Wave, or Surge, or.... well you get the idea.

Have Gerbers, Victorinox, and a few others, but the one I carry everyday, the one in my gear bag is a Leatherman. :)

Will post pics at some point.... :)

Wabbit

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Somewhere out yonder
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Bru
Member #

Leatherman Skeletool in the center console for everyday use. I also have a Leatherman MUT in my easy to reach vehicle tool bag along with their bit kit.

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

I carry a Leatherman wave and have since the late 90's, still have that one. Also carry a Leatherman sidekick in the truck door and a Swiss army knife in the center console. Gotta have the tooth pick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app