What's your Multi-Tool?

• HTML tutorial

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

The tool thread made me wonder if we'd ever done a multi-tool thread. Rather than search...............

I've gotten to where I keep this on most of the time because I fear if I leave it at home, I might need it and die or something.

This is an SOG Powerlock WITHOUT scissors. I'm pretty sure I'll never die for lack of scissors. It has since been melted on a battery and is pretty beat up.

SOG builds the Navy Seal knives and I've been a fan for years.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

I have that exact same style but in black. Absolutely love it! Have used it many times in weird situations that I was lucky to have it with me. If I remember correctly this style multi tool is used by the bomb squad guys.

Reactions: Kelly and darukus60

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I've used the all of the following multi tools...SOG, Leatherman, Swiss Army (which has a very unique design)...I've used them in combat and as a guide, and for personal use...I keep going back to Gerber. Just my personal preference.

Reactions: Kelly

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I carried a Gerber in the Army, but recently purchased a Leatherman Surge for work and on the trail. The tools are very useful for me and I really like the bit extender and bit kit. I like that the wire cutters are replaceable and so are some of the blades, depending on the situation.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I have a Gerber Clutch that I carry everyday. Pretty basic but it is compact and has the basic tools I require for simple things. I really like it because of its simplicity and functionality. I have carried everyday for almost 10 years now and it still functions like the first day I got it.

I used the SOG Powerassist when I was in the Coast Guard. Loved this one a lot because it was very sturdy and provided a great assortment of tools without being bulky and overkill. Someone stole it though but I would definitely get another.

My unit supplied us with the Gerber Suspension before I left. I am not a big fan of it because of the open frame design which lets in a ton of debris. I also do not like the lock/release mechanism because it jams easily. Also the tools in the middle do not have a lip to get them out so you have to pry them out which is very annoying. I would not recommend this multitool, luckily I got it for free.

Blackwell

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler II

Peace River, Alberta
Member #

I received a Leatherman Sidekick for Christmas last year to replace a non-branded multi-tool. I love it. Nice and slim, doesn't weigh half as much as my old one and I bring it with me in the aircraft (medevacs) daily. Not to mention, camping.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I don't have any convenient photos, but I keep my old Victorinox Swiss Army knife in the glove box (bought it in 5th grade) and my Leatherman Juice S2 in a Maxpedition organizer in the door pouch.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Leatherman OHT black. Rides on my edc pack. Has come in handy a time or two.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I like to use a Gerber Suspension when i go fishing. Its easy to rinse and dry with its open design and not to pricey if i loose it in the water.
I also like the Leatherman OHT a lot. The one i use the most is the leatherman supertool 300. Its got decent size blades and tools and can take a beating. I try to avoid anything that requires a finger nail to open, i have a bad habit of biting my nails too short.

CVXTERRA

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Never leave home without my Leatherman Wave (for the same reason...dyin' and all). Added a clip to throw it on my belt or keep handy in a pocket. For the range of tools/uses I have not found anything I like more. Then there is the overall quality of and their Life time warranty.

Last edited:
E

expeditionnorth

I too use a Gerber Suspension, though I fear the open frame design

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I've used and relied on the Leatherman Wave for more than a decade. About a year ago, I got my hands on their Signal and that's a solid tool as well.
Earlier this year they came out with a knifeless Rebar, and if I could add a pocket clip it that was functional (believe me, I've tried) - that would be my tool of choice!

CVXTERRA

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I've used and relied on the Leatherman Wave for more than a decade. About a year ago, I got my hands on their Signal and that's a solid tool as well.
Earlier this year they came out with a knifeless Rebar, and if I could add a pocket clip it that was functional (believe me, I've tried) - that would be my tool of choice!
That is too bad. Looking at pictures it seems the belt clip would work in place of the lanyard loop. That is too bad they didn't make that universal. I think the clip is crucial for edc.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

That is too bad. Looking at pictures it seems the belt clip would work in place of the lanyard loop. That is too bad they didn't make that universal. I think the clip is crucial for edc.
I agree! I used to just throw the tools in my pocket, but it got messy and unorganized - as well as destroyed my pockets!

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I recently had the opportunity to test out the new Gerber Center-Drive: which is aimed at folks like us - who may end up digging around in our engine bays.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools/One-Hand-Opening/Center-Drive_30-001193
http://www.gearinstitute.com/gear-news/gear-spotter/item/gerber-center-drive-a-welcome-and-much-needed-return-of-the-reliable-multitool

It's got a great feel and works exceedingly well.
I haven't had the chance to really get nuts with it in terms of working on my rig, but I have put it through hell over the past couple of weeks and it gets my thumbs up!

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX