What's Your Motor Oil ?

• HTML tutorial

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Since buying the new Ram, I've been researching oil. Sheeze.....

Mine was a leftover 2016 so I was concerned to get the OEM paper filter changed because it was likely 2 years old and had the dealer change it with 5-20 Penzoil Conventional due to it's high moly count and Chrysler spec while it broke in some more.

I'm thinking I will go with the Penzoil Platinum Synthetic from this point on and do them myself.

What's your poison?

Reactions: atcbrad

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
All my vehicles are 100k+mileage so the Xterra (155k) and wife's Malibu (115k) get recommended weight Valvoline Max Life while my pickup (294k) gets conventional Havoline 10w40 to keep the old 5.7l quiet. I tried the Max Life in it and it just leaked worse and hot oil pressure would drop pretty low at idle so I switched back.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
I'm a Valvoline fan I've used it in every vehicle I've owned. In my newer cars I use synthetic blend Maxlife in recommending weights. I've never had an oil related problem and I'm not very vigilant in changing at recommending times.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I'm doing Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or whatever their highest level is. Only oil I know for sure meets the FCA requirements. I'm going to do some digging into other oils, but have been happy with Pennzoil so far.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I'm doing Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or whatever their highest level is. Only oil I know for sure meets the FCA requirements. I'm going to do some digging into other oils, but have been happy with Pennzoil so far.
I simply can't find Pennzoil Ultra Platinum anywhere.

I will have to go with the Pennzoil Platinum.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

In the Cruiser 1HZ I've had Valvoline semisynthetic 15w40 for most of the last 16 years.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

SwampThing

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Monticello, Ia
Member #

I have been working in the automotive business for over 20 years. I have pulled engines out of low mile SUV's to 300K+ commuter cars and trucks. I have changed oil on vehicles that went to Walmart and quick-lube's prior to my dealership. Two things are for certain. #1. Use a good filter. Motorcraft, Purolator... NOT Fram. %80 of Tha cashed engine I see have a Fram filter on them. #2. Good oil. Stay away from Penzoil, and store brands. We. You change oil o. A vehicle that had Penzoil you ca. Feel the polymer broken down in it...

Sent from my SCH-R890 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: TerryD

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Just found out the Amsoil Signature Series and OE meet the requirements. I may be switching over now.

FeralBoy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
Castrol conventional. My truck has 225k miles. Syntech when I put new engine in ( 90k engine from my sister's totalled Explorer)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk