What's your favorite piece of recovery gear?

• HTML tutorial

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

So far my favorite piece of gear I keep in my rig is a master pull super yanker 7/8th snatch rope. I could be my favorite because im a child and it is funny to say. It has worked well the 5 times I have used it. Did I mention it is really funny to say grab my super yanker. Anyways whats your guys favorite piece of recovery gear.
yanker about to pull me out of the snow.

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

My shovel. Since I can't afford traction pads at the moment there's been a few times its saved our day. In the desert and loose dirt while camping I'm gotten myself stuck. After about 10 minutes of shoveling and a few rocks I've gotten out no problem.

Reactions: Lassen

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I have a 3 1/4" circumference recovery line that was used to tow 150 displacement ton boats. I spliced an eye in both ends so it is a quick connect with a shackle. It's pretty much indestructible lol!

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

tow hook, appropriate recovery rope, and a friend. Besides that, the MAXSA traction mat off of amazon has worked well for me. For the price I can't complain.

nuclearlemon

Rank 0

Contributor I

my soft shackle. easy to use. safe, lightweight. just like going from steelwinch cable to synthetic rope, this is one of the "why didn't i do it sooner " only downside, is i still have to use a d shackle to attach, but i no longer have to deal with the screw on the shackle. i leave it cranked on the bumper, and attach the soft shackle to it.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Probably my winch. There's nothing else that can replace it when the situation calls for it. Some people relegate their winch as a last resort item, whereas I'm ready to pull line far sooner :)

93Yoda

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Whitecourt Ab.
Member #

My compressor , being able to air down has gotten me through places i coudn't have gone at full pressure . I think it saves sidewalls as they are able to flex rather than puncture. Airing back up prior to returning to the main road enables me to stay with traffic and not heat up the tires.

Reactions: Meta6981 and O.Dfj

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Exactly. A winch is like 4 wheel drive...you don't always need it, but when you do you are thanking God you have it.
when we winch, we winch properly, and because we do it right, at the end of our grueling day on the two track, a nice ice cold XX awaits our tastebuds.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I'd probably say winch.. if I had one. I'm tempted to say my most recent addition, a #murderspork. Simply because it's a ridiculously badass shovel but I'm a huge fan of plasma rope. I love my Bubba Rope soft shackles. It's almost disturbing how thin and light they are while still being so strong. They're safer and have saved the weight of tradition shackles. Admittedly I still keep one 3/4" shackle in my kit because I can't guarantee the other end of my snatch strap will attach to something soft shackle friendly.