What's the deal with repair parts these days???

• HTML tutorial

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
What we need to do is get our kids into Vocational Technical Schools and stop blaming the uneducated
Yes
We also need to teach our kids critical thinking and work on imagination. Leggo's use to give you a box of bricks with a picture. The child had to figure it out. Now you get detailed instructions. People say its fine like that. No more imagination or critical thinking. It was too hard. Its suppose to be difficult, this is how you learn.

I've been a general automotive trainer as well as a factory trainer for a couple of decades now. As time goes on, I see fewer of these skills in my students (age 18-25). Nothing more embarrassing then a 25 year old who cant tell the difference between a wrench and a socket. Oh and no one knows how to change a tire.

Ever seen someone take a 1/2" impact to an oil pan drain plug then push an air chisel through the oil pan trying to get it out? Or have them drain the transmission instead of the engine and not notice the oils red? Then they didn't notice that the engine oil was the same level when they filled it. Good thing it burned up the transmission in the parking lot.
Both of these happened to my brother.
A shop rotated the tires on my wife's 19 Camaro. They put the wide tires in the front. Didn't notice the size difference or the fact that the tires now rub.

Dealers need to vet their employees better but have no real skilled workers to choose from. I have friends who are welding and robotics instructors. Talking to their perspective employers, they have the same issues.
I have nothing against liberal arts classes but we need skilled trade people.
I guess we can always bring them in from another country. How bad can that be?

Vanhalo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

FEMA REGION IV
First Name
Van
Last Name
Halo
Yes
Ever seen someone take a 1/2" impact to an oil pan drain plug then push an air chisel through the oil pan trying to get it out? Or have them drain the transmission instead of the engine and not notice the oils red? Then they didn't notice that the engine oil was the same level when they filled it. Good thing it burned up the transmission in the parking lot.
A shop rotated the tires on my wife's 19 Camaro. They put the wide tires in the front. Didn't notice the size difference or the fact that the tires now rub.
I have taken my Jeep to get the it worked on one time.
Discount Tire tech broke a lug bolt.
Next time i will take the wheels and tires off and take them to them to another tire store.
This is also why i wont take it to dealer to get the air bags updated.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Yes
We also need to teach our kids critical thinking and work on imagination. Leggo's use to give you a box of bricks with a picture. The child had to figure it out. Now you get detailed instructions. People say its fine like that. No more imagination or critical thinking. It was too hard. Its suppose to be difficult, this is how you learn.

I've been a general automotive trainer as well as a factory trainer for a couple of decades now. As time goes on, I see fewer of these skills in my students (age 18-25). Nothing more embarrassing then a 25 year old who cant tell the difference between a wrench and a socket. Oh and no one knows how to change a tire.

Dealers need to vet their employees better but have no real skilled workers to choose from. I have friends who are welding and robotics instructors. Talking to their perspective employers, they have the same issues.
I have taken my Jeep to get the it worked on one time.
Discount Tire tech broke a lug bolt.
Next time i will take the wheels and tires off and take them to them to another tire store.
This is also why i wont take it to dealer to get the air bags updated.
The war stories are long and many. LOL. Oil outs, tire offs, new engines and for GOD's sake don't let the junior guy drive a handicap equipped van into the shop. If you've driven hand operated cars you know. My junior guy did the oil drain plug and the vein in his head was popped out. Holy crap. I sent him home for the day and the next day we did some training. That's what we need is a lot of training and it starts in the home.
Zim

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
OMG did that spark some memories. Still laughing ( I know its not funny but......)
This incident took out the middle 3 drawers on a triple bank Matco tool box.
Another Firestone had a van come through the lobby with injuries. Handicap vans and cars are dangerous to everyone that has legs and arms. LOL
Zim

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Yes

I could not agree more.

Funny thing, a few years back I posted a pic of The Varmints changing a tire on a trailer on the trail. The response? "HOW UNSAFE!!" I suspect that is why so few kids know how to do anything useful. Everyone has their hands tied trying to be safe. It is always "Safety first!" At least that is what they preach. In practice I have yet to find anyone who is willing to die for safety. But they will eagerly hamper anyone else who is trying to do something productive.

Tire rotation on F-bodies seems to be beyond the skill level of tire shops. On my GTA the tires are the same size front and rear, but the rims have different offsets. That won't stop a determined-to-be-clueless tech. Not even when it won't budge to get off the lift. Rev it and dump the clutch. Great way to wipe out a pair of wheels. Tire shops no longer get to touch my vehicles. I just take them the wheels. Drop them off and pick them up later. Saves me several therapists worth of anger and frustration.