What's Still Open?? (Central/Southern California)

• HTML tutorial

Yota

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Otazu
Hey all! My wife and I are itching to get out for some camping and maybe some light 4x4 trails. We're planning to head out on Friday morning but there's one problem—we have no idea where to go during all of these closures!

What are some places that are still open? They can't really lockdown all BLM, can they? I was looking at Alabama Hills—does anyone know if they're actually patrolling and ticketing? I'm inclined to just go and deal with it later if someone has an issue with us using our own public lands!

Any and all ideas are welcome! Even if you just wanna chime in with your own frustrations—HA!

(we're located in Orange County but don't mind driving north!)

Attachments

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Hey all! My wife and I are itching to get out for some camping and maybe some light 4x4 trails. We're planning to head out on Friday morning but there's one problem—we have no idea where to go during all of these closures!

What are some places that are still open? They can't really lockdown all BLM, can they? I was looking at Alabama Hills—does anyone know if they're actually patrolling and ticketing? I'm inclined to just go and deal with it later if someone has an issue with us using our own public lands!

Any and all ideas are welcome! Even if you just wanna chime in with your own frustrations—HA!

(we're located in Orange County but don't mind driving north!)
Big Bear is pretty much open for dispersed camping. Been going off roading around that area with no issues. Also seen some people dispersed camping.

FastLayne

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Orange, California, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Layne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IQS
x2 for Big Bear area. We went up there last week and camped for 2 nights (below Running Springs) and it was incredible to get out of the city! Campgrounds are still closed, but dispersed camping is allowed. We are heading up again next week.

Yota

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Otazu
We ended up going to Alabama Hills. It's officially "closed" but lots of people are camping in there. We drove right by a BLM ranger posted up in his truck right behind the entrance of the park and he didn't do anything. They're not enforcing Newsom's mandates. Go have some fun!

Contributor III

Camarillo, CA, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Rebensdorf
x2 for Big Bear area. We went up there last week and camped for 2 nights (below Running Springs) and it was incredible to get out of the city! Campgrounds are still closed, but dispersed camping is allowed. We are heading up again next week.
Any gpx files for this? Or directions? Still learning to navigate

FastLayne

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Orange, California, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Layne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IQS
Reactions: Superbadchad45

Contributor III

Camarillo, CA, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Rebensdorf
Reactions: FastLayne

Highplainsdrifter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

I’m out in hemet and bee canyon says it’s open on the website there are yellow post camp sites just past the little creek you cross not a very long trail but it’s beautiful up there spits you out by Idywild and you can take the highway back down the 74 also there is shooting allowed at the base of the mountain depending on the time of the year you have to check with the ranger

Reactions: FastLayne

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

We thought about it but it must be really hot these days right? also curfews :(
I am sure it is getting hot, I went about 2 weeks ago and it was on the verge of being toasty as it was getting to mid 90's mid day. It was breezy so that really helped with the heat. As far as curfew, does that apply to camping? I would say my vehicle is my home. lol

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

I am sure it is getting hot, I went about 2 weeks ago and it was on the verge of being toasty as it was getting to mid 90's mid day. It was breezy so that really helped with the heat. As far as curfew, does that apply to camping? I would say my vehicle is my home. lol
Re curfew: In theory I think it only applies to certain hours, I mean you would have to get to your place/camp/etc.. before the curfew hours.

Reactions: 510Steve